Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Transfers vs Starters
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 5, 2022

Jacob Decatur, Elijah Cleary, Chase Singletary, Gary Traub and Quinn Kinner all chose to transfer from tOSU. Singletary is currently not wrestling while Decatur went D3.
The other three, however, are all starting at different programs.

Knowing what you know now, would you prefer to have Kinner or D'Emilio at 141? Traub or Orndorff at 285? Cleary or Hubbard/Hepner at 157? Or do you think it's a wash either way?

Anyone have thoughts they'd like to offer?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Sean Koran added to this discussion on January 5, 2022

My thoughts:

DD over Kinner - I think he's simply better (despite a couple poor losses this year) and has more upside.

OSU 157s over Cleary - I think Clearly showed us who he was, which is a solid but unspectacular wrestler. Can do a good job keeping lots of matches against good guys close, but isn't going to win them. Would rather give the younger guys a chance to see what they can do. And Hubbard beat him straight up.

285: Tate over GTG. Don't think this is much a discussion. Gary is having a great 6th year, but Tate AA'd last year.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on January 5, 2022

Quote from Sean Koran's post:

"My thoughts:

DD over Kinner - I think he's simply better (despite a couple poor losses this year) and has more upside.

OSU 157s over Cleary - I think Clearly showed us who he was, which is a solid but unspectacular wrestler. Can do a good job keeping lots of matches against good guys close, but isn't going to win them. Would rather give the younger guys a chance to see what they can do. And Hubbard beat him straight up.

285: Tate over GTG. Don't think this is much a discussion. Gary is having a great 6th year, but Tate AA'd last year."

Agreed.
Kinner could have been a stud but clearly didn't wrestle at his best weight. Time will tell.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 6, 2022

Anyone know the status of Jordan Decatur?

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 6, 2022

I saw that Jakob Decatur is ranked number 1 At 125lbs, for Baldwin Wallace

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 6, 2022

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"I saw that Jakob Decatur is ranked number 1 At 125lbs, for Baldwin Wallace"

14-0. Great to see.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 6, 2022

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"

14-0. Great to see."

Ok I was totally wrong about Jordan and when news broke he transferred I didn’t think he would do great but obviously I was wrong. So take this as my apology Jordan. Best of luck the rest of the season.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on January 6, 2022

Jordan is out for the year. Jacob is just too small for division 1. D3 and D1 is a huge gap in talent. Jacob would have been a stud if the 118 weight class was still around.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 6, 2022

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"

"

14-0. Great to see."

Ok I was totally wrong about Jordan and when news broke he transferred I didn’t think he would do great but obviously I was wrong. So take this as my apology Jordan. Best of luck the rest of the season."

Jakob.

Jordan is still at OHST.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on January 6, 2022

I'm not a huge fan of comparing guys that are on the team vs. guys that have left. In doing so you make the assumption that had guys stayed, they'd be performing at the same level. Not everyone is going to be a perfect fit--for any school. Would Joe Burrow have won a Heisman at Ohio State and carried them to a national title? Maybe?

With that said, Jacob Decatur was always going to be a depth guy. Too small, and frankly, not an elite talent.

Cleary is a middle of the road D1 wrestler. A good guy to have on your team, but not a good guy to have as your starter.

Singletary is a head scratcher. He had some moments, but was a tweener that didn't really fit into either weight class. The fact that he's not on any roster is a little odd--maybe he wasn't committed, maybe he just wanted to go back to Florida. I don't really know.

No offense to Tate, but I'd rather have the Gas Tank lighting up the Covelli. Yes, Tate is a little younger, a little better, and by all accounts a great dude. Yes, I know you have to do it given the option. Still don't like it.

Kinner I thought had a higher ceiling than D'Emilio (as a recruit). Clearly there were some things that weren't working out for him at OSU. Wrestling is just one piece of that puzzle. On the other hand you have D'Emilio who is like a 4.0 student, relentlessly dependable, and already has qualified for NCAA's (and won 3 matches there). It's not really close.

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"

"

14-0. Great to see."

Ok I was totally wrong about Jordan and when news broke he transferred I didn’t think he would do great but obviously I was wrong. So take this as my apology Jordan. Best of luck the rest of the season."

Jakob.

Jordan is still at OHST."

Jacob sorry

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 6, 2022

Brian: Your point about comparisons is understood. I just wanted to get this forum cooking and thought it would make a decent topic.

It does feel as if Gas Tank Gary was kicked to the curb given the excitement he brought to duals. He wrestled with a level of passion that allowed him to excel in the clutch. It would have been nice to see him able to finish what he started in Columbus.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Brian: Your point about comparisons is understood. I just wanted to get this forum cooking and thought it would make a decent topic.

It does feel as if Gas Tank Gary was kicked to the curb given the excitement he brought to duals. He wrestled with a level of passion that allowed him to excel in the clutch. It would have been nice to see him able to finish what he started in Columbus."

To be fair he wasn’t gas tank Gary last year and did lose the wrestle off and was beaten by a couple of backups last year before being injured before transferring out.

Still willing to bet Tate finishes better then Gary.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 6, 2022

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"I'm not a huge fan of comparing guys that are on the team vs. guys that have left. In doing so you make the assumption that had guys stayed, they'd be performing at the same level. Not everyone is going to be a perfect fit--for any school. Would Joe Burrow have won a Heisman at Ohio State and carried them to a national title? Maybe?

With that said, Jacob Decatur was always going to be a depth guy. Too small, and frankly, not an elite talent.

Cleary is a middle of the road D1 wrestler. A good guy to have on your team, but not a good guy to have as your starter.

Singletary is a head scratcher. He had some moments, but was a tweener that didn't really fit into either weight class. The fact that he's not on any roster is a little odd--maybe he wasn't committed, maybe he just wanted to go back to Florida. I don't really know.

No offense to Tate, but I'd rather have the Gas Tank lighting up the Covelli. Yes, Tate is a little younger, a little better, and by all accounts a great dude. Yes, I know you have to do it given the option. Still don't like it.

Kinner I thought had a higher ceiling than D'Emilio (as a recruit). Clearly there were some things that weren't working out for him at OSU. Wrestling is just one piece of that puzzle. On the other hand you have D'Emilio who is like a 4.0 student, relentlessly dependable, and already has qualified for NCAA's (and won 3 matches there). It's not really close."

I would agree Jacob is too small for DI but in my opinion clearly an elite talent. 3 time state champ, Ironman 1st and 3rd.

GTG added a lot of zip to matches but getting Tate gave then a better opportunity for points at NCAAs. Watching Traub against big and talented heavy’s was painful.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 6, 2022

Well, both Gary and Tate have their work cut out for them at 285 this season. Steveson, Parris, Cassiopi, Schultz, Hilger and Kerkvliet are a tough top six. That leaves only a couple open spots for AA and lots of solid guys competing for them.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next