Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Transfers vs Starters
Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 7, 2022

Singletary had a rough last two years. Injuries, the tragic loss of his brother, and then lost combinations of wrestle offs. He was the 220 that just never got bigger and the cut was too much to be effective at 197. I feel for the guy, but he got a degree, and probably just said dueces to the sport

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on January 7, 2022

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Brian: Your point about comparisons is understood. I just wanted to get this forum cooking and thought it would make a decent topic.

It does feel as if Gas Tank Gary was kicked to the curb given the excitement he brought to duals. He wrestled with a level of passion that allowed him to excel in the clutch. It would have been nice to see him able to finish what he started in Columbus."

No doubt, it's an interesting topic. I always find with these things (transfers) in general that fans get far too emotional and either (1) blame the kid, or (2) blame the program. That's not really going to happen on this board, but you see it elsewhere often and it's ridiculous every time. More broadly I think a lot of transfers end up being short sighted (ex. grad transfers).

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on January 7, 2022

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"

I would agree Jacob is too small for DI but in my opinion clearly an elite talent. 3 time state champ, Ironman 1st and 3rd.

GTG added a lot of zip to matches but getting Tate gave then a better opportunity for points at NCAAs. Watching Traub against big and talented heavy’s was painful."

Fair enough, maybe he was an elite talent. I'm just always skeptical of an upper classman (in high school) wrestling against mostly younger competition. He was ranked near the top at 106 and 113 his Junior and Senior seasons. He was also one of the only upper classmen in those rankings.

Re: GTG vs. Tate. You're right, Tate is better. He's already an AA. Tate will score some points again this year at NCAAs (5 or 6?). OSU will be 25+ points away from a trophy finish. Next year isn't likely to be much different.

Of course you're supposed to make your team better given the chance. I was arguing for emotion over reason.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2