Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Discussion Topic: Bucks v PSU
Jim Behrens added to this discussion on February 5, 2022

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"I agree with TR on that 195 match, Hoffman rolled and there was separation when he faced Dean, that should have been 1 escape, 2 TD. Doesn't surprise me that it wasn't overturned, being a home match. "

If the challenge occurs and the ref determines that it should have been an E1, then the rest of the wrestling in bad time, the clock is reset to when the E1 occurred, and they start neutral. Not how much time that would have left Hoffman.

Oh, whale."

Besides that, separation alone does not warrant an escape being awarded. The man has to be able to defend himself which, in this instance, was not the case. As soon as it occurred you could see TR calling for 2 (the reversal) and Jaggers looked to think about it and was looking for 1 and then 2. I firmly believe the fact that it was a home match had nothing to do with it, the call and the review were correct.
Throwing the brick was a real long shot but late in the dual, why not?
BTW, if this exact situation was turned around to the PSU side, would anyone think it was 1 and 2? I highly doubt it.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 5, 2022

I've watched Max Dean beat Brucki and Warner by out working them in the third period. He wins with pace and pressure. Hoffman wrestled an excellent match and got hosed at one point when the ref stopped the action as he appeared ready to score. Hoffman has offensive limitations but he is giving a heckuva effort.

The decision to put Malik on bottom only makes sense if you're preparing for later in the season. Otherwise, you go neutral and try to score a TD late in the third. Hildebrandt looked a weight class bigger than Malik.

Wilcox lacks match experience. I thought he wrestled well under the circumstances but he has to finish that TD in OT. Barraclaugh has been a serviceable starter for PSU and I did not think Wilcox was going to keep up with him.

Freeman also lacks match experience. He wrestled a perfect match until the third period then tried to funk his way to victory. Anyone can see that Freeman has talent. I'm assuming there's a reason he hasn't cracked the lineup.

Bartlett is a tough matchup for Sasso. It also helps if you take zero shots and the ref allows it. Sam is not an offensive machine but he is doing a better job this year getting to leg attacks as opposed to waiting for opponents to shoot. What I wish we'd see out of him is a little more variance in his pinning combos. His cradle is amazing but everyone knows it's coming. Incidentally, it wouldn't shock me if Bartlett snuck in for a low AA.

I thought D'Emilio worked hard to keep that match from slipping away. It takes guts to bust your butt in a losing cause.

tOSU wrestlers need to learn how to ride for 30-40 seconds to eat clock. They let opponents out too easily.

Incidentally, Nebraska v UM was an excellent match. Lots of good battles.

Last edited by Hank Kornblut on February 5, 2022; edited 1 time in total

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 5, 2022

Did they say why Kharchla didn't wrestle last night?

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on February 5, 2022

Disagree refs bailed out Dean. The reversal for Hoffman was absolutely the correct call, as was stopping action in OT with Dean's knee wrenched in an unsafe position. Tough loss, but a fair one.

Give Hoffman credit. He has not given up after a so-so start to his career and has become a tough out. The top 197s are on notice.

I've got no problems putting Malik down to start the third. Choosing neutral reduces his options for victory to getting two takedowns or getting one takedown with a rideout. Neither was likely to happen. He's gotta get out from bottom.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 5, 2022

"I've got no problems putting Malik down to start the third. Choosing neutral reduces his options for victory to getting two takedowns or getting one takedown with a rideout. Neither was likely to happen. He's gotta get out from bottom."

Interesting point of view but the fact is sometimes your opponent is so good on top that you're not likely to get out. However, you're correct. Neither was likely to happen. I think this was an instance where you took a shot to see how things went so you're more prepared for the next match up.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 5, 2022

imo, dual was woefully disappointing on several levels-- i wont beat a dead horse but everyone on here knows why.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on February 6, 2022

Really duals have just become exhibitions, at least at the elite big ten level. they only matter as to seeding and that has become a reason for a many starters not wrestling against challenging foes if they feel they are already a higher seed. tOSU has been no different in that than anyone else. Then it seems to me many coaches or wrestlers don't want to give anything away so they don't wrestle against the inferior foe inserted into the lineup and we get two second stringers wrestling. Coaches wanting to make sure the stars are healthy for the tourneys rest their starters at any sign of injury. I can't say I blame anyone for this state of affairs as we all know coaches are hired to win or place at the ncaas and big tens not win duals. I have found the most exciting duals are at the level of lesser programs where coaches want to qualify their wrestlers so use any and all chances to wrestle their best.

Jeff Fortman added to this discussion on February 6, 2022

Ohio state has rarely been a good dual team and at this point it's really more about seeding (which i agree is important).

The fact of the matter is, until Ohio state has 3 potential national champions on the same team (along with at least 3 high placers) at the same time, we aren't going to compete for a national championship again. Penn is and continues to just reload and is too strong. Hopefully with the recruits we will have just that.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 6, 2022

I just watched it. Lackluster.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 6, 2022

Just an observation but, how come guys that have success in Greco (i.e. Koontz) never use TD's associated with Greco, like body locks, headlocks, duck unders or throws? They go back to FS type TD's, especially single & doubles and seldom score with them.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on February 6, 2022

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"Just an observation but, how come guys that have success in Greco (i.e. Koontz) never use TD's associated with Greco, like body locks, headlocks, duck unders or throws? They go back to FS type TD's, especially single & doubles and seldom score with them."

Good question. I liked watching Koontz place at CKLV a few years ago, because he was using his Greco skills to put his opponents in positions they were not comfortable in. He had guys backpedaling, stalling, and making mistakes. I would like to see more of that.

For what it's worth, I saw Boykin hit a MASSIVE body lock throw at the Purple Raider Open a few weeks ago. It was one of those throws that makes everyone watching ooh and ahh, but amazingly his opponent avoided the fall and Boykin managed to lose the match.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 7, 2022

Given the fact that the Bucks wrestled w/o Kharchla, Romero and Hubbard all weekend, I'm less upset with their effort against PSU. No one can say that Ryan was ducking anyone.

And beating Rutgers at their gym after a Friday night dual in Happy Valley is a nice accomplishment.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4