Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v. Minnesota - February 11, 2022
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 9, 2022

Big match for the Bucks. On the road against a tough B1G opponent. This one is full of interesting matchups.

125 – Maybe the best match of the night, Patrick McKee (#9) v. Malik Heinselman (#11). Per wrestlestat, Malik is 2-1 vs. McKee, but the last meeting was in 2020. Malik outplaced McKee at the conference tourney last year, but McKee had a great run at NCAAs. I think Malik takes this one, maybe in SV.
OSU 3 – Minny 0

133 – Jake Gliva (#29) v. Dylan Koontz. At the beginning of the year this looked like a tossup. Koontz hasn’t been wrestling well, so I am giving Gliva a major.
OSU 3 – Minny 4

141 – Jake Bergeland (#15) v. Dylan D’Emilio (#20). I don’t see this as a true toss up, despite the closeness in ranking. I think Bergeland is the favorite, by 3-4 points. Decision here.
OSU 3 – Minny 7

149 – Michael Blockhus (#30) v. Sammy Sasso (#2). Would love to see Sammy put bonus points up here, but I think Blockhus will wrestle to lose by less than 8, and I think Sammy ends up with a 4 point win and 3 minutes of RT.
OSU 6 – Minny 7

157 – Brayton Lee (#4) v. Jason Hubbard (#33). Lee is known for his pace, it’s how he beat Sammy when they were both at 149, and I think he pushes Hubbard hard in the 3rd period. Hubbard needs an early takedown or two, with some RT, to keep bonus off the board. I think Lee wins by 6.
OSU 6 – Minny 10

165 – Cael Carlson (NR) v. Carson Kharchla (#4). OSU ties it up here as Kharchla comes out firing early and seals the major late.
OSU 10 – Minny 10

174 – Bailee O’Reilly (18) v. Ethan Smith (7). I think Smith pushes hard for bonus here, and I think O’Reilly stalls enough in the 3rd to not give it up. Decision for Smith.
OSU 13 – Minny 10

184 – Isaiah Salazar (#20) v. Kaleb Romero (#6). I think this one could be closer than the rankings might suggest, as I think Salazar is better than #20. Romero still wins, probably by 3, icing it with a late counter TD.
OSU 16 – Minny 10

197 – Michael Hoy (NR) v. Gavin Hoffman (#21). Another tight matchup. Can Hoffman keep the momentum after a great stretch of wrestling against tough opponents? I think he does just enough to seal the dual for the Bucks.
OSU 19 – Minny 10

285 – Gable Steveson (#1) v. Tate Orndorff (#13). Gable wins by however many Gable wants to win by. If the dual is over, it’ll be a tech. But if Minny needs a pin to win, he gets it.
OSU 19 – Minny 15

Boy, this dual could go a number of ways. OSU can win as many as 7 matches (the 6 I predicted plus 141), or as little as 3 (149, 165 and 174 are pretty significant favorites). Minny is getting 3 for sure (133, 157 and 285). It’s hard to win on the road in the B1G, but I think the Bucks are peaking at about the right time.

#GoBucks

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 9, 2022

Good synopsis Jason. I like how Malik is wrestling and think he wins.

Key for Bucks will be to be back at full strength. You might be able to win with Rocky in the lineup but they definitely need Kharchla back at 165.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on February 9, 2022

Minnesota is the one Big 10 power I didn't know much about. I learned a lot from Jason. Great preview.

The McKee match is big for whichever team can get it. It was at the 2020 Big Ten championships that Malik, seeded low and unlikely to qualify for nationals, had to face McKee in the consolation rounds after McKee was upset early.

Heinselman won by pin and went on to qualify for nationals. He has been a different wrestler since that day.

This will be a fun bout between two top-10ish competitors. Incidentally, eight of the top 13 guys at this weight are from the Big Ten.

Also, any chance we see the return of Decatur? I read somewhere, maybe on here, that he competed recently at 133.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 9, 2022

Dacatur wrestled at the Edinboro Open this past weekend at 133. Lost his first match and then forfeited.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on February 9, 2022

Yeah, not sure whats up with Decatur.

Perhaps we will see the Nick Lekclider special- Will Betancourt.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on February 9, 2022

I think if Decatur doesn’t make 133 he wastes a year of eligibility. He has no energy at 133 but is our only chance to steal an allocation spot. Betancourt is behind Gonzales and koontz imo. They are all pretty close however. Decatur would be best option here if he can make the weight safely. I’m pretty sure once he stepped up against North Carolina that was his eligibility year gone. So either he makes 133 or is done for the season and wasted a year. I have a feeling that he is in the plans for the big tourney, there is no other justification for him going 133 at Edinboro.

I have nothing against Betancourt, he just is a fill in guy at best. People had unreal expectations for him I believe. Betancourt is just not going to beat bouzakis, mendes, Decatur , Demilio. Ohio state will not redshirt next year after these super seniors are gone imo. The best man will wrestle ecspecially if smith and Romero return. Hopefully paddy has a big offseason as he is not ready yet by looking at his results after being the number one p4p guy.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 9, 2022

Decatur is a talented guy but has some obvious flaws in his wrestling. He's also too big for 133. Personally, I think he should consider a transfer to a program in state that could use an injection of talent but there are many legit reasons why he might feel differently. One thing is for sure--he needs to go 141.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 9, 2022

Yeah, when he beat D'Emilio in the wrestle offs he looked full of energy, and that's saying a lot since Dylan has a great motor himself. I give Jordan "A" for effort at Edinboro, but any comeback at 133 seemed dashed when he forfeited his first cons. match.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on February 9, 2022

Couldn't Dylan go 33? I've never seen them side by side but from my memory Dylan seems like a small 141 and smaller than Jordan. But my memory isn't what it used to be.

Doug Gainous added to this discussion on February 9, 2022

Why does Decatur have to cut to 33? This team is not trophy hunting this year and we've all seen he can't perform when sucked down. He should get a shot at 41.

Minny match should be a good one!

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on February 9, 2022

I believe why they won’t let him have a shot at this point at 141 is he is not going to get an automatic bid like Demilio probably has already earned. If he does not get in an allocated placement then buckeyes send nobody. Demilio is in no matter the big ten tourney he has more than likely.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 10, 2022

Have probable lineups come out for this match?

I’m curious if McKee will wrestle he has 4 conference loses already and would they risk another one? Flip side a win could help with seeding.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 11, 2022

The match is on BTN tonight at 9:00 P.M.

Also, the match notes are now available on the Ohio State site.
https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/no-8-buckeyes-set-for-final-big-ten-weekend/

Probables have "ors" for the Buckeyes at 133, 157, 165 and 184. If they don't have starters at 165 and 184 for sure, I don't see them winning this match. 133 and 157 are probable losses anyway, so starters out isn't as big of a deal there.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 11, 2022

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"The match is on BTN tonight at 9:00 P.M.

Also, the match notes are now available on the Ohio State site.
https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/no-8-buckeyes-set-for-final-big-ten-weekend/

Probables have "ors" for the Buckeyes at 133, 157, 165 and 184. If they don't have starters at 165 and 184 for sure, I don't see them winning this match. 133 and 157 are probable losses anyway, so starters out isn't as big of a deal there."

Based off Carson’s history of injury I’m ok if he sits till B10 since he will be #1 seed

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 11, 2022

9p!?

Way beyond my bedtime.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next