Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Gable Steveson
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on February 12, 2022

This guy is just amazing to watch and he is still getting better. He has widened the gap even more on the field since last year. I know he is going to the wwe next year but does this mean he is done internationally? If he is, it is a shame because he could be the greatest American wrestler of all time. I hope it’s not the case but haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere. I would love to see him and Snyder in an exhibition match also. He would be too much for Snyder but would be fun to watch.

Last edited by Nick Lecklider on February 14, 2022; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 12, 2022

One of - if not THEEEEEEE - most impressive 285 I’ve ever witnessed wrestle.

And y’all know I love me some Tommy.

Matt Schein added to this discussion on February 12, 2022

One of my brothers and I just this very same conversation tonight. Gable would be too much for Snyder. I know wwe is the next phase, I’m guessing that his “real wrestling” career is done. Either way. He was phenomenal, maybe the best ever, maybe the best ever.

Joe Johnson added to this discussion on February 12, 2022

hard for me to look past him not being able to beat cassar when talking about him being the greatest

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on February 12, 2022

Gable Steveson is light years ahead of where he was against Cassar. Let’s also remind everyone that gable never used a redshirt. Cael lost during his redshirt year. If gable user that redshirt he would have had an undefeated career .Only blemish on his career is him. If Casser wrestled this version of gable it wouldn’t even be close. Gable’s freshman year he beat tate by 8 points. He could have won by 30 yesterday. He also beat hilger by 6 then and teched him this year. His senior year of high school he had a one point match with an undersized kerkvliet. He he is just getting exponentially better. The sad thing is I still think he hasn’t peaked. He would be scary good if he continued and it’s sad to see that he is done. I hope he at least tries one more Olympics

Last edited by Nick Lecklider on February 14, 2022; edited 4 times in total

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 13, 2022

I think at first glance you get pretty blown away by his combination of size, speed, and athleticism. To me what separates him is technique. I’ve personally never seen someone transition between technique that fast and that crisply. Did you see that duck under off of Tate’s wrist tie…absolutely filthy. Likewise simple things like switching directions for a go behind in a short offense position. It’s just so quick, so clean. I’d be hard pressed to see someone at the collegiate level that is close in comparison. JB and Dake might be similar comparisons. I think he is on that level even for a senior level guy. Snyder doesn’t chain wrestle like that, he’s a battery ram. Gilman, Cox, and Taylor don’t chain wrestle like that either.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 13, 2022

Quote from Joe Johnson's post:

"hard for me to look past him not being able to beat cassar when talking about him being the greatest"

Not for me considering he was an 18 yr old true freshman.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on February 14, 2022

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Joe Johnson's post:

"hard for me to look past him not being able to beat cassar when talking about him being the greatest"

Not for me considering he was an 18 yr old true freshman."

I was going to say the same thing. During the match on Friday night the announcers made the point that the won't turn 22 until May 31st of this year. That's crazy considering that some guys in their redshirt freshmen year are almost as old as he is now. When he was a true freshman he still had some "baby fat" and the contrast between then and now is markedly different.

He's someone who absolutely benefitted from the Tokyo Olympics being pushed back a year, as it allowed him to be stronger and more physically mature. He was already nipping at Gwiz's heels in 2019, and very well could have beaten him in 2020. He may not have been able to beat Petriashvili had the Olympics been held on time, but if he did he would've beaten Snyder's record as the youngest US Olympic champ.

Now, I haven't always been the biggest fan of Gable's theatrics, but he is undeniably one of the best to ever do it, and he could've hit GOAT status had he continued another cycle or two.

John Herren added to this discussion on February 14, 2022

Question - is there something between Parris and Stevenson? I thought he was a bit out of line in that match a few weeks ago?

Stevenson was borderline punk in that one. I am by no means a Michigan fan and didnt mind seeing Parris get his butt kicked. But it just seemed like too much from Stevenson.

Last edited by John Herren on February 14, 2022; edited 1 time in total

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on February 14, 2022

I hate that Gable is leaving college wrestling having failed to educate message board posters on the proper spelling of his last name.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on February 14, 2022

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"I hate that Gable is leaving college wrestling having failed to educate message board posters on the proper spelling of his last name."

Noted

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 15, 2022

Quote from John Herren's post:

"Question - is there something between Parris and Stevenson? I thought he was a bit out of line in that match a few weeks ago?

Stevenson was borderline punk in that one. I am by no means a Michigan fan and didnt mind seeing Parris get his butt kicked. But it just seemed like too much from Stevenson."

Parris tweeted out something at Gable after Gable didn't wrestle him in the RTC Cup last winter. Thus Gable's "extra" effort to embarrass him when they wrestled in the B1G, NCAA Finals, and then in the dual. Just a reminder of who's the man.

► Add to the Discussion