Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Which Buckeye Has The Best Chance To Win A Title?
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 18, 2022

Thoughts?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 18, 2022

I still think it’s Sammy because there are very good wrestlers in his weight but only one great one to go through.

I would otherwise think Carson but he has some very tough hombres in his weight. Ethan is my dark horse.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 18, 2022

imo its not Sasso rather its Karchla who i think is the most talented in the lineup. And somewhat unknown, a big plus.

Sasso can win it however imo not enough offense-- and by now he is well scouted (e.g. like Abas and Austin O"Conner last year). There will be early round hand-ringers too.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 19, 2022

Jaggers.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 19, 2022

Fritz, because he has great hair...

On a serious note, Carson.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on February 19, 2022

Feldman

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 19, 2022

If your asking about this year it’s Carson. The gap between him and the favorites is smaller than the gap between Yanni and Sammy.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 20, 2022

How about Romero?

As far as the Sasso v Kharchla debate, I agree that Kharchla has a better chance to beat his comp as opposed to Sam v Yianni. But I think Sam's mental toughness is outstanding.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 20, 2022

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"How about Romero? "

My purple and gold shaded lenses want to say, "Absolutely!".

My critical thinking side says that we have yet to see that level of performance from Kaleb. The CKLV win was impressive, but he didn't have to knock off top 5 competition to win that tournament.

He has had great top 10 wins, but has not yet succeeded at that championship contender level. He has to win the 3-2 match over Amine. He has not had those breakthroughs YET.

And that is the difference beween he and Sammy & Carson. They have won the close matches with title contenders. Kaleb scares the daylights out of the contenders, but that is not the victory. The victory is being on the winning side of the 3-2 matches with those guys.

If Kaleb shows some of that at B1Gs and wins B1Gs, I will be all in.

You have no idea how much I hated writting that. And how terrified I am of a bruising I would take from Kaleb or his dad for writting it. I will say this. I believe in a healthy Kaleb that believes in himself.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 20, 2022

I’ll tell you what, I do not like the matchup that Hamiti presents against Carson. He might be the most dangerous guy at the weight. At big tens Carson should carry the 1 seed with Marinelli 2 and Hamiti 3. Hamiti is dang good on his feet, lanky, has a great motor, and is a homerun hitter from the top position. What he just did to the Cornell kid (Ramirez) was impressive. Nationally, Wick looks to be the favorite with two wins (and a third shot) over the returning champ from Stanford.
Kaleb is a hair behind both Brooks and Amine. I think he’s definitely in that tier, probably on par with the guys just in front of him. Hilday has not looked as solid this year. The Northern Iowa kid is a little more dangerous. Kaleb is going to have to be healthy, and get super tough takedowns in OT type matches. He can certainly do it, but as was previously mentioned, he doesn’t own that kind of win in his career yet.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 20, 2022

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"I still think it’s Sammy because there are very good wrestlers in his weight but only one great one to go through.

I would otherwise think Carson but he has some very tough hombres in his weight. Ethan is my dark horse."

after further reflection, U are right Roe, both guys have tuff but different roads. 149 mediocre until Yanni. However Sasso prone to nail bitters, witness Abas round 1 & finals last year. Several this season.

165 loaded with potential champs. ...yesterday the favorite Wick beat Griffith 6-1. But if Karchla gets 2 or 3 seed, hes got a shot. ..needs to beat Marineli and dangerous Hamiti at Big Tens--and maybe at NCAA also

AWN 165
1. Evan Wick, Sr, Cal Poly
2. Keegan O’Toole, RFr, Missouri
3. Shane Griffith, So, Stanford
4. Carson Kharchla, RFr, Ohio State
5. Alex Marinelli, Sr, Iowa
6. Anthony Valencia, Sr, Arizona State
7. Dean Hamiti, Fr, Wisconsin

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 21, 2022

Jared: The Mizzou 165 is dangerous as well. But Wick towers over this weight.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 21, 2022

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"I still think it’s Sammy because there are very good wrestlers in his weight but only one great one to go through.

I would otherwise think Carson but he has some very tough hombres in his weight. Ethan is my dark horse."

after further reflection, U are right Roe, both guys have tuff but different roads. 149 mediocre until Yanni. However Sasso prone to nail bitters, witness Abas round 1 & finals last year. Several this season.

165 loaded with potential champs. ...yesterday the favorite Wick beat Griffith 6-1. But if Karchla gets 2 or 3 seed, hes got a shot. ..needs to beat Marineli and dangerous Hamiti at Big Tens--and maybe at NCAA also

AWN 165
1. Evan Wick, Sr, Cal Poly
2. Keegan O’Toole, RFr, Missouri
3. Shane Griffith, So, Stanford
4. Carson Kharchla, RFr, Ohio State
5. Alex Marinelli, Sr, Iowa
6. Anthony Valencia, Sr, Arizona State
7. Dean Hamiti, Fr, Wisconsin"

Given the current rankings, Marinelli & Hamiti will have to face each other before Carson has to wrestle one of them, which is good for OSU, at least on paper.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on February 21, 2022

165 Has to be the most competitive weight. The way Hamiti destroyed Ramirez is scarry. O'Toole pinned Valencia. And if that match Hamiti had with Marinelli lasted another minute he would have won. And of course Wick. We'll see in the finals at Big10s, Carson will have Hamiti or Marinelli, and Marinelli has been on a mission since Carson beat him, so it's going to be wild to see.

149, I think Gomez is a big problem. That dude is a fighter.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 21, 2022

If ranking hold, Gomez will have to get past Lovett, or vice-versa, to get to Sasso. Lovett is a tough out.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next