Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Big Tens
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 5, 2022

Nice first round wins by D'Emilio and Hoffman.

Quarters were about what one would expect with Heinselman losing 3-1 to Schroeder being the only mild disappointment. Smith had Kemmnerer in trouble but was unable to take advantage. That said--even a damaged Kemmerer is an outstanding wrestler.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on March 5, 2022

Gomez looked very tough against Bartlett, took him down at least 5 times.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 5, 2022

Hepner just got decked. Rushed his advantage and paid for it.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 5, 2022

Yeah he absolutely went for it twice when with just a little more patience he probably would have had him. You could hear TR yelling to knock him to his hip. Unlikely that he receives a wild card. At least based off of allocation numbers. Then there were 8

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"Yeah he absolutely went for it twice when with just a little more patience he probably would have had him. You could hear TR yelling to knock him to his hip. Unlikely that he receives a wild card. At least based off of allocation numbers. Then there were 8"

When you don't listen to the coaches, bad things happen.

McNally going from 6th seed at Nationals last year (WAY WAY WAY overseeded IMHO) to 11th seed at B1G's is another example that the grass isn't always greener somewhere else.

GRRRRRRRRR

The Bucks finish the day well out of third, but much improved from where they were at Big Tens last year. If memory serves they were 9th by the end of the tournament, although I may be off.
Malik’s loss to the Purdue kid continues to hamper him. Schroeder just seems to have his number. Other than that he has looked solid. Very surprised to see the PSU kid go 0-2.
D’Emilio has been very solid, a looks to out perform his seed. His motor and crisp finishes are putting him within striking distance to push for 3rd. Very doable that he wins his semi.
Sammy did Sammy things. Very predictable.
Kharchla has not looked as sharp as I would’ve anticipated. He really struggled to get to legs during his semi. The announcers made mention of Amine’s strategy of constantly moving as a way to negate Carson’s offense. He was in on one shot that looked like a potential opportunity to finish, but it was not to be. I’ll be curious to see a matchup with Hamiti. Based on how he’s been wrestling I’m not surprised if Carson finishes fourth. Hopefully not. He needs to get the W to avoid running into a stud in prior to the quarters.
Ethan and Kaleb both performed on track with their seeds. Guys in both weights just seem to present a clear gap moving forward.
Gavin had a great first round win, and squeaked out a W against an opponent in wrestle backs. He has performed above his seed and given himself an opportunity to potentially make some noise next week. I believe he auto qualified.
Tate looks about the same as he did a Big Tens last year. He once again will be draw dependent at NCAAs

The Bucks finish the day well out of third, but much improved from where they were at Big Tens last year. If memory serves they were 9th by the end of the tournament, although I may be off.
Malik’s loss to the Purdue kid continues to hamper him. Schroeder just seems to have his number. Other than that he has looked solid. Very surprised to see the PSU kid go 0-2.
D’Emilio has been very solid, a looks to out perform his seed. His motor and crisp finishes are putting him within striking distance to push for 3rd. Very doable that he wins his semi.
Sammy did Sammy things. Very predictable.
Kharchla has not looked as sharp as I would’ve anticipated. He really struggled to get to legs during his semi. The announcers made mention of Amine’s strategy of constantly moving as a way to negate Carson’s offense. He was in on one shot that looked like a potential opportunity to finish, but it was not to be. I’ll be curious to see a matchup with Hamiti. Based on how he’s been wrestling I’m not surprised if Carson finishes fourth. Hopefully not. He needs to get the W to avoid running into a stud in prior to the quarters.
Ethan and Kaleb both performed on track with their seeds. Guys in both weights just seem to present a clear gap moving forward.
Gavin had a great first round win, and squeaked out a W against an opponent in wrestle backs. He has performed above his seed and given himself an opportunity to potentially make some noise next week. I believe he auto qualified.
Tate looks about the same as he did a Big Tens last year. He once again will be draw dependent at NCAAs

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 6, 2022

Bucks wrestled well in cons Big tip of the hat to D'Emilio for handing Duncan and then sticking Filius. Those are the types of wins that get you to the bloodround. Maybe even through it.

Heinselman also did his job. Unfortunately, 125 is a nasty, deep weight and he's got his work cut out for him tomorrow and in 2 weeks.

Carson Kharchla has got to get nastier when the whistle blows. Yes, Amine danced and should probably have gotten hit for stalling. But when you get in on a deep shot in an important match, and you're supposed to be a title contender, you finish. You don't get cute and go up around the waist. You also HAVE TO RIDE. You can't allow an escape in about a tenth of a second. Impose your will. Take something out of your opponent. Make him work to escape. Bucks need to bring Dan Gable to Columbus tomorrow and make him Carson's personal coach through NCAA's.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 6, 2022

I'll be interested to see if Amine uses the same strategy on Marinelli. I don't remember him dancing around that much in the past. And Marinelli seems like the type of wrestler that has to tie up with you to attack, doesn't really shoot from far away. Let's see if he rides better than Carson.

Doug Gainous added to this discussion on March 6, 2022

What a tough tourny.

Malik looks good. I didn't like the danger 2 against schroeder. I've seen much worse not called.

Demilio is looking good.

Sammy needs to put this Gomez in his place tonight.

Hepner? The cradle? 2X? that sucked

Carson- can he adjust in two weeks?

Smith- Please see Masa/labs match. gotta gas labs.

Romero- Did he try any offensive attacks against Amine?

Hoffman- scrapping, but why he took down against Warner in the 2nd I have no idea. Warner did nothing but ride and push out yet Hoffman takes the stall call and can't get out.

So, Demilio overperforming, Carson underperforming and the rest of the team on par?

Looking forward to today's wrestlebacks!

I know hindsight is 20/20, but Tate that attempted throw was ??? If you are looking to throw, do what Gomez did to Lovett, underhook & pinch the arm(s) and head together and then do the throw, less risky. He basically threw himself into a pinning situation.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 6, 2022

Ethan Smith seems to be banged up. Am I the only one noticing that he's not quite himself?

I thought that from day one, just not 100%, but still managed to beat Labriola, YESSSS! I thought yesterday he had a better chance of beating Labriola than Massa, so I was hoping Massa would beat Lab.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next