Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Jacob Decatur national champion
Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 13, 2022

Jacob Decatur took home the 125 D3 national title yesterday. He finished 35-1 in route to his first title as he completed his junior season. His teammate Michael Petrella was the NCAA runner up as a sophomore at 149. Baldwin Wallace finished 8th as a team. Congrats!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 13, 2022

I owe him an apology. I didn’t think he would do that well and he proved me wrong so congratulations. I thought I read it’s been 33 year since BW last NC

Al McIntosh added to this discussion on March 14, 2022

Congratulation to Jacob

The Decatur family is well known in Northeast, Ohio wrestling circles for many years. I have personally known the family for a long time and both Rodney and Ricky Decatur (Jacob's dad and uncle) were contemporaries of mine back in high school in the late 70's early 80s. To see Rodney's sons excel at the high school level and college is a wonderful blessing. Jacob's twin brother Jordan is still at Ohio State, and his older brother Josh also wrestled for BW where he was a National Qualifier and I believe is serving as an assistant head coach at Aurora.

Jacob made the courageous decision to transfer to D-3 Baldwin Wallace and has really excelled going 35-1 this year, with his only loss coming to D-2 National Champion Cole Laya by 1 point.

Also, major props to coach Jamie Gibbs (best overall college coach in Ohio IMO) who has coached 17 All Americans (two this year) and is a 6 x OAC conference Team Champs. 7 NCAA National Qualifiers this year, with an NCAA Champ (BW's first in 33 years, and an NCAA Runner up). Coach Gibbs is an incredible motivator, knows what it takes to win at this level, and is a fitness genius, was able to get the most out of Jacob and sophomore Michael Petrella, a Reynoldsburg/Bishop Hartley product.

https://www.bwyellowjackets.com/sports/wrest/2021-22/releases/20220312xs929p

Here is a cool interview that Jacob did in late January where he talks a little about BW and his decision to transfer from Ohio State.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApYRNKXlQ_M

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on March 15, 2022

Congratulations to Jacob!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 15, 2022

I know Al McIntosh very well. He is a humble man, founder of the wrestling program at CVCA and has played a critical role in the wrestling success of many terrific wrestlers in Ohio.

So this comment is noteworthy: "Also, major props to coach Jamie Gibbs (best overall college coach in Ohio IMO)"

► Add to the Discussion