Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Wrestling vs. Football/Soccer Question for all Coaches
Jim Wittkamp added to this discussion on August 14, 2007

I pose a question for all the Coaches out there both High School and College. I ask this question not just for myself but I know of at least 3 others facing this dilemma right now.

If you have a kid who's passion is Wrestling and is possibly of State Caliber and Competes at the National Tournaments and would like to compete at more of them but Football / Soccer season and offseason workouts take away from the competition and extra workouts and camps. Understand these kids in question love their other sport but want to go to College for wrestling. These kids have been told by many that they have the ability to be on the floor at State and could wrestle at the next level. A couple have even had Colleges inquire of them at some of the events only to find they are only going to be Juniors.

I know a football Coach tried to talk one kid into feeling he needed to be there in July for workouts and stuff and encouraged him to not go to Fargo. Only do to an aggrevated injury did he decide he shouldn't go.

So I guess the question actually is...what are the thoughts concerning playing 2 sports versus just your passion?

Want to hear all your thoughts...so please chime in.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brendan Moody added to this discussion on August 14, 2007

Great question. I am sure many families run into this dilemma all over the country, in many different sports. Not that I am any expert or anything, but I truly feel that if a kid has the ability to play football or soccer (or run cross country) while being able to wrestle in the winter, then he/she should compete in those sports. I feel this way for several reasons;

First, we must remember that these high school kids are just that, high school kids, and the relationships that young men create with teammates through sports can be life long and a big part of their lives.

Second, if a wrestler has the ability to help make their high school football or soccer team better then they should compete. Why would a student athlete not want to help make their school and their community more successful... not everyone has the talent to be successful at athletics at a high school level, so if you do have the talent take advantage of it.

Third, many college coaches appreciate that a recruit is athletic enough to be successful at more than one sport. If a student athlete can compete at 2 or 3 sports and still uphold good academic standings, then that can be appealing to college coaches.

Lastly, take advantage of the exposure to competition. I am a firm believer that the more a person competes than the more that person will be confident in a tight or clutch position. If an athlete just finished a football season where he and his teammates had an 8-2 record and made the state playoffs, then his mindset and confidence raises and focuses on how he/she can be successful in any sport.

(By the way, if a high school football coach cannot understand the importance of Fargo, then a parent should talk to the A.D. and allow him to explain the the football coach how important Fargo can be to a wrestler who has college aspirations.)

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on August 14, 2007

Good question, Jim. The answer, I think, is that it comes down to what the wrestler truly wants to do.

I participated in three sports in high school: football (fall/summer), wrestling (winter), and track (spring). As for football, playing under the Friday night lights, the camaraderie, the energy, the intensity, it was great and I think - in most cases - playing high school football is a great experience. I was a football guy up until my junior year when I started to really understand and like wrestling. Track was just something to do in the spring. I viewed it as an extra workout to go along with spring lifting and a good time with my friends. I was just in athletics to have fun and play sports, I knew I wasn't going to win state titles and all that. Now if I was really very good at wrestling, I'm sure I would have dropped track, but I don't know about football. There are benefits to cross-training, for sure. I think to master one sport though, one must focus on it. So the question for the wrestler(s) in question is this: would they rather play all the sports they want or try to excel exclusively in wrestling?

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on August 14, 2007

Such is the dilemna for multiple-sport athletes in the summer months. It's technically "no one's" season from late May to early August; however, all three seasons of sport have summer activities.

From a wrestling perspective, it is obviously important to hit your camp/s of choice (i.e. Chertow, J. Rob, Jordan, etc) and competition/s of choice (i.e. Fargo, Jr Olympics, Disney, etc).

However, for the fall sport coach, this summer period is valuable for them as well. In an ideal world, they'd have strong participation for a variety of reasons: unity/continuity, sport-specific training, and an easier transition when camp starts.

I would think that playing multiple sports is a beneficial thing, as this is high school. Competing with friends for school pride has significant value in many ways (fun, socialization, fitness, activity, etc).

Brian Davis added to this discussion on August 14, 2007

This is a great question!

Kids need to make their own choices (with the guidance of caring adults in their life)not be guilted...or coerced in to attending the extras for sports that are not as important to them. Let's face it, everyone thinks their program is important. However, the athlete must decide where is true loyalty lies.

This can be a great life-lesson for your son.
He must learn how to respond to peer pressure and the influence of other adults in his life. Maybe the true lesson here is that not everyone is looking out for his best interests. Consider the coach who knows all the facts about your son but is still pressuring him to spend time at a place he would rather not be...should tell him something as well.

Often times the best lessons in school are learned outside the classroom!

Brian
Twinsburg, OH

John Drumm added to this discussion on August 14, 2007

Great topic!
Jim: All IMO I think the best way for this football coach to approach the wrestler/football player would be to ask "do you want to be there for the July football workouts,"- as opposed to- you need to be there for the July football workouts. Let the student/athlete exercise his/her free will. The choice is a personal one ultimately up to the student/athlete with input from parents 2nd and coaches 3rd looking out for the best interests of the student/athlete as the overriding factor, not the best interests of the team or overzealous coach. Same goes for wrestling coaches. There is a difference b/w pressure vs. encouragement: pressure breeds burnout while encouragement breeds success. Motivation naturally follows passion. Therefore, encourage the student/athlete in the sport where his passion lies, but do not pressure him/her. IMO

Dom Mancini added to this discussion on August 15, 2007

Problem with this scenario is that you will always get more pressure from the football coach than wrestling coach - wrestling is an individual sport and as long as kids are competing in another sport or training they are improving - however team sports are different - kids will get pressure to skip Fargo from football coaches - ultimately the kid has to decide BUT - the wrestling coach will be disappointed if he doesn't go to Fargo however it will make no difference on the kids participation during the regular season - go to Fargo and the football coach may weigh in on that decision and cost you playing time because you are apart of a team and someone else in your position may be there when you are not there.

Brendan Moody added to this discussion on August 15, 2007

If a Football Coach cannot understand the importance of "The National Tournament" Fargo then it should be up to the kid, parents, wrestling coach, and athletic director to inform him. If a kid is good enough to participate in Fargo then they are possible college wrestlers. A football coach has a priority list, and the kids should take priority before winning games, coaches need to remember that from time to time.
Think about why two-a-days exist... to learn plays, be mentally tough, and conditioning. If a kid takes a playbook to Fargo to study he can achieve those exact same traits.
By the way, there is a good article on jjhuddle from the Columbus Dispatch linking Ohio State Football with the sport of wrestling. I know I will be printing this article and posting it around Stow High School.

Jim Wittkamp added to this discussion on August 15, 2007

To all that have responded...I thank you very much. For the most part I see everyone in one way or another is saying the same thing. I have thought much of this and know where at least my own son lies. The other kids I have an idea. I like the whole what is the passion. I agree so far that the 1st choice is that of the Athlete themselves and 2nd is of the parent to give suggestions and opinions only after they hear the kids first as to not influence they're feelings. I like the whole getting the Wrestling Coach and AD involved as well. It does make me feel much better of how I am handling it all right now. I thank you all.
Please any and all keep the suggestins and opinions coming. I can't be the only one out there with this concern.
I will be finding that article unless someone could post it here concerning Ohio State and Wrestling. I know what to just do with it.
I will share this with you...The football coach has said if my son misses as many as we think he will of the workouts in the offseason he will have many makeups to do. He really doesn't want him going to Fargo next year so to be with the team in July. He is a D.T. and could possibly move to OLB/ILB next year. If he does qualify again for Fargo like I do think he will, he has already stated unless he is injured, he is going...period. His passion is for the sport of wrestling. His major traveling schedule for next year includes and looking to add others are Junior Nationals in Virginia Beach, hopefully NWCA Brute Nationals in Deleware, Disney, Fargo(hopefully) and he'd like to go to the JO's and whatever else may come his way. He wants to be on the mat as much as possible. Trust me I am starting a Wrestling fund to pay for all this. We are already trying ot figure how we can go to the Super 32. With Football it is hard.
Once again thank you all very much.

John Drumm added to this discussion on August 16, 2007

"The football coach has said if my son misses as many as we think he will of the workouts in the offseason he will have many makeups to do.

- Ooo, Rah! Is this boot camp or high school? We can all agree that discipline is a character trait we want all young people to learn; however, does this coach want to uphold his ridiculously rigid OFFSEASON policy and lose a starting D.T. or OLB for his HIGH SCHOOL "team" when the athlete will be conditioning harder than any 2 a day and can still read the playbook at Fargo?

"He really doesn't want him going to Fargo next year so to be with the team in July. He is a D.T. and could possibly move to OLB/ILB next year."
- O.K. football coach, you really don't care what is in my best interest or what my parents think, its about what you want and what you think is best for the team, never mind what I want along with my family & fans. Sounds like Art Modell, but wait, this is HIGH SCHOOL.

"If he does qualify again for Fargo like I do think he will, he has already stated unless he is injured, he is going...period. His passion is for the sport of wrestling."
- There is the answer: his passion is wrestling, although he does enjoy football. I would give the coach the opportunity to sit down with you and discuss this, if you don't get anywhere, goto the AD, then school board. If still no results, invite him to participate in an open tourney with your son.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on August 16, 2007

I can't imagine a coach winning that battle with making kids attend offseason sessions. On the other hand, if this was during the defined season (I think that may be an issue with Jr Olympics this coming year due to football's acclimation start), he would have every right to expect the kid to attend.

Just think of it this way, if this was wrestling season, would you be happy if your kids cut practice to play in some indoor soccer tournament?

I don't see the need to be confrontational about the situation either.

Ted Tonn added to this discussion on August 16, 2007

We are very fortunate in the fact that we have a football coach who WANTS his kids to wrestle. He actually requested to even be on my staff this year,even though he never wrestled before, just so he can do strength & conditioning with his wrestlers/ football players and stay close with them in his "off-season". He allows his best players to compete in off season wrestling camps, tournies, etc...and even attends them to watch. Our rule between us is that no wrestler who plays football will do anything wrestling related once two-a-days start, and vice versa during wrestling season. At a small school like ours you have to encourage kids, especially the best athletes,to compete in more than one sport or all the sports will suffer. Needless to say, I'm very grateful for his support, and his realization that allowing kids to do both when they can ultimately makes both programs stronger.

John Drumm added to this discussion on August 22, 2007

Jim Wittkamp & others:

Nice article on Yappi thread titled "Wrestling gets credit from OSU coach", talks about OSU co-defensive coordinator Luke Fickell (3 xmer from DeSales and standout OSU lineman) and his opinion on wrestlers getting a leg up in the recruiting process. This brings home many of the arguments above. Great stuff!

► Add to the Discussion