Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks 2022-2023
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 24, 2022

What will Bucks lineup next year look like and will TR RS everyone?

125- Malik does he come back? Can Gonzales make 125?
133- Gonzales - Vince B. will he RS
141- DD- Decatur- Mendez
149- Sasso
157- Paddy - Hepner- Wilcox - Hubbard
165- Carson
174- Smith does he come back? Would a backup 157 make the move up - Geog
184- Romero does he come back? Jordan? Could Shumate be here if Romero and Jordan don't come back?
197- Hoffman - Shumate
285. Tate - Misita -Feldman

Could have 3-6 AA return next year. Will any true freshman go?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 24, 2022

Good summation Jim. I'd love a lineup with potential starters plus the depth.

Heinselman is critical. Bucks are stuck at 125 if he doesn't come back for a 5th season. Does he want to? Excellent wrestler with size limitations but we don't have a credible starter without him.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on March 24, 2022

Regarding the seniors, maybe there's a few around this board that are more in the know. The only place I've seen it mentioned was in an interview with Sasso after NCAA's where he said something close to "We don't really lose anyone. Pretty much everyone is coming back." Based on that, I've been assuming for now that all the starters are returning. Maybe there will be a season postmortem interview with someone on staff that'll shed some more light.

There has also been some noise that one or both of Bouzakis and Mendez may go right out of the gate. Personally, I would prefer to redshirt the entire incoming class. That said, the transfer portal has created a new world and if any of those guys start, I assume it will be for a better reason than marginally improving the team's NCAA finish in a year where the best case scenario is sneaking on to the podium.

What I would go for:

125) Heinselman -- the only AA that was a senior is Suriano, and he's replaced by Lee returning. Hoping for some minor improvements and some good fortune at the tournament to cap off a solid career with an AA finish.

133) Gonzalez -- expect he'll be undersized, but I think he can win some matches in the Big 10 and qualify. Would rather give him some run than burn a year of eligibility for Bouzakis.

141) Decatur / D'Emilio -- This weight clears out. Tough tournament run for D'Emilio, but he has wins over multiple AA's. Decatur... who knows. It might be tempting to start a talented true freshman in a weight that's up for grabs, but based on what I saw against Swiderski, Mendez still has some way to go.

149) Sasso -- I'm not going to pretend I'm some sort of master technician, but Sammy needs more reliable ways to score on his feet. That much is obvious. He also needs to work on his ties. Getting to Sammy's legs is one of the easiest things a 149 pounder can do. Not that he gets scored on so much, but it presents issues in tight matches, or if Sammy is trailing.

157) Gallagher -- Not sure this is his optimal weight, but it'll have to do for at least one year. This summer (I hope) will be big for him.

165) Kharchla -- He's right there with the best. Hopefully the weight isn't an issue. Successful season under his belt coming off of a difficult injury.

174) Smith -- Will be a long offseason for him after the way things ended. Hidlay, Kemerer, Massa move on. Starocci and Lewis are out of reach, but no reason he can't take 3rd.

184) Romero -- Can compete with anyone not named Brooks.

197) Hoffman -- Would love to see him take another step. Repeating as AA will be difficult.

285) Orndorff -- Had a fine season. Gable, Wood and Lance move on, which clears some room at the back end of the podium that Tate will be in contention for.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on March 24, 2022

I have also heard the transfer portal could be very busy this off-season. Already hearing names like Carr. (Kenny Monday already has entered the portal)

This is sort of like a pseudo-commitment season waiting to see which wrestlers decide to leave or come back for another year.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on March 24, 2022

Demas might come to tOSU where his older brother wrestled.

He could fill in at 149 if a few guys jump up in weight. Without Sasso going 157, though, I don't see Dom Demas being interested.

I read on another forum that mentioned Rocky Jordan is in transfer portal.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on March 24, 2022

I'm usually not a negative person but we need to move on from some on our current roster.
If we really don't think we can bring anyone else in capable of better than a round of 12 placer then let Heinselman return. Personally, I think it is time to move on.
I feel the same way about 174 and Smith.
Rocky in transfer portal? I'm ok with that.
Again, I don't trend towards the negative but after seeing what tsun did this year, I'm not at all happy with our effort.
The fact that for years I've seen our wrestlers riddin like frickin horses is beyond frustrating.

Joe: I understand your frustration. In regards to Heinselman, he is the best 118 pounder in the country. Not his fault that he's undersized against big 125's. Your complaint should be with Tom Ryan for not doing a better job recruiting the weight.

Would you feel better about Ethan Smith if he held on in his bloodround bout? He beat Labriola at Big Tens and that guy is a 3x AA.

Bucks have a fabulous class arriving with 5 studs. Feldman, Bouzakis, Mendez, Geog and Shumate are all elite in my opinion. But all will have to adjust to college.

Meanwhile Bucks still need a 125/133. Gonzalez shows potential but they need more than just him.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Joe: I understand your frustration. In regards to Heinselman, he is the best 118 pounder in the country. Not his fault that he's undersized against big 125's. Your complaint should be with Tom Ryan for not doing a better job recruiting the weight.

Would you feel better about Ethan Smith if he held on in his bloodround bout? He beat Labriola at Big Tens and that guy is a 3x AA.

Bucks have a fabulous class arriving with 5 studs. Feldman, Bouzakis, Mendez, Geog and Shumate are all elite in my opinion. But all will have to adjust to college.

Meanwhile Bucks still need a 125/133. Gonzalez shows potential but they need more than just him."

Finding a stud 125 is harder then you think just ask PSU. They recruited a returning AA who scored them .5 pts a nationals. They might have one in Howard but that is TBD. Malik has some fantastic in season wins over several AA but for whatever reason it doesn’t translate to national tournament.

Jim: Malik can compete with a one hour weigh in. He's not dying from the cut. But in a tourney setting, he's at a disadvantage.

Sean Koran added to this discussion on March 24, 2022

I see no reason to move on from Smith if he wants to come back. He's a couple brain farts away from being a 2x AA and is clearly very good.

I have no idea who is in/will be in the portal, but it would be really fantastic if OSU can find a good 133 who wants to wrestle their 5th/6th year somewhere else. Someone like Phillipi or Foley (to be clear, I have NO idea what their plans are, they just fit the bill of having 1 year left and being higher level guys).

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on March 24, 2022

I really hope Smith and ROmero come back Unfinished business.

Bucks could use some luck with the transfer portal at either 125 or 133. Fingers crossed.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on March 24, 2022

They need to put the best wrestlers on the mat next year. And personally, I think this needs to be the philosophy every year. Anymore, kids come out of high school battle tested and ready to compete at the next level. My redshirt year helped me immensely, because, frankly, I wasn't very good. Guys like Mendez, Feldman, etc. need to wrestle if they are the best in the room. Especially if you have Sasso, Smith, Romero, for one more year. They can't beat PSU, but they can get a trophy!

John Ice added to this discussion on March 24, 2022

Good call Luke!

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on March 25, 2022

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

"If we really don't think we can bring anyone else in capable of better than a round of 12 placer then let Heinselman return. Personally, I think it is time to move on.
I feel the same way about 174 and Smith.
Rocky in transfer portal? I'm ok with that."

I couldn't disagree more with this. There are times when you push all of your chips into the middle of the table, even if it means recruiting a transfer over one of your long-time starters. This isn't one of those times.

Personally, I would get far more enjoyment watching Malik cap off his career with an AA finish than I would seeing Ohio State place 4th instead of 5th at the NCAA tournament (and none of the 125 AA's are in the portal, anyway).

And regarding Smith... who exactly do you think they're going to get? There's only a handful of guys in the weight class better than him.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next