Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Discussion Topic: Bucks 2022-2023
Jared Ball added to this discussion on July 13, 2022

I have still yet to see an article, post, or interview that confirms anything about Heinsleman, Smith, Romero, or Orndorf confirming they are returning. Three of the four already have graduate degrees likely. Has anyone else?

There is tons of data on the guys listed above And J Decatur. It’s unlikely after four or five years you see a wholly different version of a guy. In my opinion you roll out Gonsalez at 125. He’s had a moderately successful off season this year than Malik has ever had. Remember that Malik was wrestling at a substantially smaller class for Juniors and Cadets. Andre had a very solid open, world team trials, and most recently won Pan Ams. I think it’s time to move on.

I’m moving on from the Decatur train you. His athleticism was such and overwhelming advantage in high school. Not sure if that stifled his ability to develop technically, but it just hasn’t mapped to college success. Time to move on.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 13, 2022

Thought is was generally acknowledged by staff that Orndorff and Romero are coming back. At one point, Smith was thought to be considering it. No word on Heinselman.

I think Jared's comment about starting Gonzales is intriguing. I'm a huge Heinselman fan but after four years it's obvious his lack of size keeps him from AA contention. It's certainly not skill.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 13, 2022

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VRVSNJY8L-Y

In this post season interview Tom Ryan’s talks about everyone coming back in addition to all the recruits coming in. There was another interview with Tom later on talking about next year also but can’t seem to find it. All indications are everyone is back.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on July 15, 2022

Per Tom Ryan's recent FB post, sounds like Garet Lautzenheiser (133-ish) is transferring in from WVU.

Here's his WVU roster profile:

https://wvusports.com/sports/wrestling/roster/garett-lautzenheiser/16256

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on August 1, 2022

Tom Ryan just did an interview on flowrestling and here was some keys things he said regarding next year.

125…. He said it could be either Gonzales or heinselman. Looks like it’s probably a close battle and he is Gonzales is now for sure going to wrestle 125.

133…. Will be between bouzakis and Mendes. Might be better for the bigger one to go 133 now so they can redshirt next year behind demilio

141….. Tom Ryan has already gave the weight to demilio. No mention of Decatur. Said demilio has made huge strides this summer

149…. Sasso more than likely. Says he knows his best weight would be 157 but is wrestling as of now 149 for the team

157……Gallagher said was dealing with injury and was banged up a bit last year. Expects him to be much improved

165. ….kharchla didn’t get to train really last summer so expects a big season on a full summer and is still mad about his semifinal call at ncaas

174. …. Ethan smith. Mental lapse at ncaas talked about.

184……Kaleb but Tom Ryan really gushes about Geog. Tom Ryan expects very very big things from him. Geog cut too much weight at beginning of year last year and preformed much better when he went up. Tom I believe already thinks he is ready to go but says he has the luxury to sit a year bc of kaleb.

197…..Hoffman. Another guy that Tom says has had a great summer and has improved immensely. Kollin Moore told Tom that he’s no where near the same wrestler he was even in march

285…….Tate more than likely but if Tom Ryan sees Feldman beating him up and the other top guys he will pull the redshirt but doesn’t see it happening now.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on August 1, 2022

Great summary, thanks Nick. Will have to listen to it myself later.

Heinselman vs. Gonzales being a close competition is interesting if true.

D'Emilio already having the spot isn't surprising, but it does lend credence to what Hank was saying earlier this summer about a transfer making the most sense.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on August 1, 2022

Few other things I thought were interesting:

1) Still a good amount of money left for the Class of 2023--they are targeting additional guys that he's hopeful on that would take the class to the next level. McGowan and Sasso we know they're in on. If I had to guess, maybe a late run at Adams and Camden McDaniel should Sasso go elsewhere.

2) TR calls out PSU's stall ride. Not like it's a secret, but funny to see him actually mention it.

3) TR at least claims to believe they're legitimately in the hunt.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 1, 2022

Nick: Great interview. Thanks for pointing it out.

Tom Ryan is as open as any coach I've ever seen in any sport.

Takeaways:
The lineup is not settled....He loves his incoming class....he loves Dylan D'Emilio...Orndorff was told that if Feldman came in and was crushing him, he would probably not be the starter. That has not been the case according to Ryan. Therefore Feldman redshirts...There are many lineup possibilities...Gonzales could be battling Heinselman at 125 or the starter at 133...There is a scenario where Bouzakis and Mendes go 133/141, D'Emilio goes 149, Sasso goes 157...Bucks assisted Rocky Jordan in finding a program that would be a good fit and he will likely move down to 174 (unless Ryan misspoke). Bucks still have money to spend and are after two more huge recruits....He acknowledges how much the transfer portal is impacting the sport and specifically mentions Iowa...He discusses how he thinks Carter Starocci's ride is a stall but that he understands the strategy....He respects officials but wants the review process improved. He's convinced Kharchla reversed Mueller and that the officals blew it....He discussed how Kharchla was 5th in the country at a deep weight without any significant offseason training. Many more tidbits. Worth a listen if you have a flo subscription: https://www.flowrestling.org/video/7938632-tom-ryan-on-epic-freshman-class-this-years-lineup-and-gunning-for-penn-state

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 2, 2022

Can’t…wait!

Thanks for posting.

ps: HANK: if a guy and his son showed up to the shop this Saturday (8/06) at 2:45p, would you kick him out at 3p?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 2, 2022

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Can’t…wait!

Thanks for posting.

ps: HANK: if a guy and his son showed up to the shop this Saturday (8/06) at 2:45p, would you kick him out at 3p?"

I'd stay open as long as the son had gone to state.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on August 3, 2022

A couple more thoughts I had after the Tom Ryan interview

I’m not sure if Decatur gets the spot even if he wins the wrestle off. I thought Tom would at least say there was going to be a wrestle off and be a little neutral. Seems like either demilio has got that much better or he just doesn’t trust Decatur. If this is true I hope he hits the portal before season begins. Unless he is trying to go 149 in case Sammy bumps up. Or Decatur 141 and demilio 149 and sasso 157 as he said demilio and sasso were getting bigger.

At 157 if paddy does not beat top 15 and top 10 guys I think it is smartest to just bump sasso up to give him a chance at the national title. 157 is a weaker weight and can win the title. At 149 he isn’t beating yianni and seems to lack energy he once had. It’s a tough cut and is doing it for the team. If paddy shows he is a legitimate all American threat you keep both there.

In recruiting Tom says he is going after a couple more guys. Sasso I do not think makes sense. Geog more than likely will be the 197 of the future. Ryan said that he is a special talent. He is only getting bigger and rumor is he is giving Hoffman and kaleb very good goes. After a redshirt year I expect big things. The only person left in this class that can make an impact I believe is Marc Anthony Gowan. He is the elite 125 pounder the buckeyes need and we are in his top 6. I have heard nothing on who leads. His recruitment seems to be tight lipped. Kilkeary is severely overrated in my opinion. I don’t even think he is a top 20 In his weight class nonetheless p4p like he was ranked a few months ago. Any other names anyone else hearing? Maybe just depth guys.

Tom pointed out he believes Ohio state can win the national championship. It is very very optimistic. Ohio state has almost zero percent chance unless penn state gets very injured. Ohio state does not have the finalist potential to get the big points they need. Ohio state has 5 locks at all American I believe (Mendes/bouzakis(yes one of these two will AA), sasso, kharchla, smith, Romero). Penn state has 5 locks at being finalist( brooks, starroci, rby, dean, and kerkvliet has a chance). Ohio states other 5 are borderline Aa but so are penn states. I do however think Ohio state is in the running and possibly favorite to be the second best team. After this year there is a opening for Ohio state to contend however.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 3, 2022

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

"Can’t…wait!

Thanks for posting.

ps: HANK: if a guy and his son showed up to the shop this Saturday (8/06) at 2:45p, would you kick him out at 3p?"

I'd stay open as long as the son had gone to state."

My guy! Hoping to get up there for the BTS event. We shall see.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 3, 2022

Bring Burroughs and Kemp with you to the shop. I'll throw in extra pickles and free soft drinks

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on August 3, 2022

"

My guy! Hoping to get up there for the BTS event. We shall see."

I hope to be there too.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 4, 2022

JB hasn't returned my call yet and Coach Kemp is still out in Cali. He won't be in until late. Cael sent a text stating that if he can swing it (many PSU obligations), he'll let me know.

All that to say, if it's me you, and my son, I'll still be happy.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8