Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks 2022-2023
Scott Nicola added to this discussion on July 9, 2022

Time to revisit this based on present information:

125-Heinselman-I like most presume Malik will be ready to rumble this season. There was talk of weather Gonzales could make 125 after wrestling last season at 133 but it appears he is making 57 kg so maybe he is an option if Malik decides to take a redshirt or move on.

133-This is looking increasingly like it will be Bouzakis. I think he is elite right away and will be a mid range AA. Mendez an option but I think he is destined for 141. I suppose Gonzales could go here but I like Nick B to go right away.

141-Two solid options here with DEmilio and Decatur. Demilio had a solid year and could challenge for low AA but Decatur has the higher ceiling, and really looked like a different guy at 141 than 133 (took NCAA runner up Kizah Clarke to OT). Mendez could be in play too but it doesn't make much sense to wrestle him this year with the depth already at the weight. I think Decature wills the spot and is an AA.

149-Sasso-This one is pretty set. I guess we could eventually see Sammy slide up to 157 to make room for one of the 141's to slide up but I think it's fairly unlikely at this point.

157-I think most of us assume this will be Paddy but as mentioned he will face competition from within the room in Hepner and Hubbard.

165-Karchla-I think Karchla returns to 165. If not maybe him and Smith flip weights?

174-Ethan Smith is one of of favorite Buckeyes and I was sad when he didn't AA last year. I think he turns it around and has another AA finish.

184-Romero-Top 4 this year. Has made improvements every year.

197-Hoffman-Hopefully last years NCAA's will help Hoffman's confidence and he continues to build and progress. Lots of parity at 197.

285-Orndorff-Resist the urge to wrestle the kid even if he is beating Orndorff in the room. Give him a year to grow and adjust to the college game. Orndorff will benefit too and reward us with an AA finish.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on July 10, 2022

I know I’m in the minority here but I don’t get why everyone is so high on Jordan.

I know he almost beat a NC runner up but outside of that what has he done?

Great on his feet but always seems to gas and I would much rather have Dylan go and know he is always going to attack no matter what.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 10, 2022

141 I am also on the boat where I believe Decatur can be the 141. He is a complete different wrestler at 133 than he is at 141. 133 was too hard of a cut for him and had zero energy at that weight. He beat demilio in high school and in wrestle offs. The wrestle off he won in an overtime match. At 133 he didn’t even have the energy to wrestle past the first couple minutes. His injury really didn’t let anyone show what he could do at 141. He did beat exhemendia and demilio and almost the NCAA runner up as he nearly had two at the end of regulation. Sample size it yet too small but I believe looks promising. They will evaluate results through all the opens before making the decision. Either guy is a borderline AA as the weight class has cleared out a bit. Ask Kaleb Romero about cutting weight. The bigger he got the better he got. Decatur will absolutely be a better wrestler At 141. Can’t wait to see them battle it out.

133 will be another battle bouzakis vs Mendes. They were very even in freestyle. Bouzakis won 2-1 but remember he was the fresh wrestler as bouzakis was already in the finals and Mendes had to win a tourney. It will more than likely come down to who is better top and bottom wrestler.

125 I’m not sure why Gonzales went 133 last year if his plan was to go 125 this year. It does show on Ohio state website that he is 125 pounder so my indication is that is the plan. I am ready for new blood at this weight and hope he has made a leap from his freshman year which was 19-4 at 133. Malik can beat nearly anyone on a one hour weigh in bc his weight cut doesn’t affect him. At the tourney though there is much more recovery time and Malik’s results are not the same. If they are close to the same I would throw out Gonzales. He is going to be the starter more than likely in two seasons when Ohio state is ready to contend for a championship so I would rather build him experience.

285. Tate will be the starter period. Even if Tate gets hurt it’s foolish to throw out Feldman. Gable is coming back, parris also is on his last year. Kerkvliet may even be moving on. Let the studs clear out here. Get him in the weight room to get a little bigger and adjusted to college life and have a great redshirt year. Then his redshirt freshman year he will be battling for a title. No need to throw him out this year and Tom Ryan has already said he will redshirt along with Feldman himself.

All other weights are pretty much set in stone

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 10, 2022

Jordan Decatur has a lot of baggage to overcome if he's to beat out Demilio. It's not just winning a wrestleoff. It's performance over the course of a season.

We can all agree that the cut was too much but it's not like his technique was slick and he just got tired in his matches. His defense was lousy, his offense got predictable and his mat skills were pedestrian.

Has he improved? Presumably. Can he man a spot in the lineup and be successful? One hopes. But we know what we're getting in Demilio--a round of 12/low AA competitor with a motor and a track record of solid success.

What will the Bucks get with Decatur? No one knows. I'm sure the staff has some thoughts and it will be up to them to decide.

My sense is that he has to show marked improvement in terms of technique and conditioning to even be a serious consideration. That's not impossible to imagine. But there's a long list of hs studs who've arrived in Columbus and not been able to transition well to D1. If your best accomplishment is a close loss to Kizhan Clarke, that's not good enough.

I'd love for Decatur to make me eat crow. Good luck to him.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 11, 2022

Decatur conditioning did not seem to be a problem at 141. I don’t think it’s a real issue. He looked good late in the match with Clarke and D’Emilio both in overtime matches. If Decatur didn’t believe he could win I feel like he would have transferred out like his brother. The wrestle off will not determine the starter. They will both be going to opens and seeing how they preform. 141 is very weak this year and I expect the winner to be an AA if not very close. The number one ranked kid cole Matthews demilio beat last year. This weight class is very open. People were ready to count out Hoffman also and he figured it out. This may be the last year either of them are the starter unless sasso decides to go up.

As your comment on a lot of high school studs come to Columbus and not transition well to d1 I would have to disagree. In the Tom Ryan era every single top 5 p4p guy has been a title contender. Stieber, Stieber, jaggers, jordan, jordan, Snyder, Martin, Palmer,Kharchla looks like he will be ,tomasello. The next group of guys 5-15 p4p have at least AA with the exception of a couple that I can think of. Keyshawn Hayes which would have AA if he went to almost any other school but had McKenna and jordan to deal with and was forced up 2 weight classes. Chase Singletary which was a tweener and still had many high profile wins over AAs and seemed to quit the sport with two years of eligibility remaining. If you really want to stretch you could also try to say Collin Palmer but he had injury issues and had to cut his career after two matches. So those three had valid excuses not to AA in Columbus. Decatur was number 6 overall and if doesn’t AA I would consider him the only bust Ohio state has had in the Tom Ryan era. I still have faith in him to do so. Whether it is at Ohio state or somewhere else next year I believe he will do it ecspecially how weak the weight class is. Hoffman and Romero took a while but they ended up on the podium and I have a feeling decatur will also.

. Seems like nationally Ohio state has a bad perception on development and I disagree and think it’s a false perception. Kollin Moore, Nick Heflin, Reece Humphrey, Ethan smith all way out kicked their expectations. The only complaint I think you can give to the staff is the mat wrestling which they tried to address last year but it still seemed to be a problem. Penn state has had more busts than Ohio state. Gulibon number 3 and both Alton’s top 5. Mason Manville and Brady Berge top 10 guys. Just the guys penn state does hit on are all home runs.

On a side note I could see a NCAA tourney with demilio, Mendes, Decatur, and kinner all in the same bracket if sasso does not go up.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on July 11, 2022

Since it hasn't already been mentioned, I'd just note that D'Emilio and Decatur wrestled a month ago in FS and D'Emilio won.

D'Emilio is the 2x NCAA qualifier, the 4.0 student, the guy the coaches have host recruits when they visit. Not to mention, he has 3 more years of eligibility vs. Decatur's 2.

At a certain point, you have to quit pretending Decatur has some vat of untapped potential just waiting to be released. He's a flawed wrestler. He has some great strengths and some equally poor weaknesses, as Hank already outlined nicely--and I agree Decatur would need to have strong results for a sustained period of time to realistically challenge for the spot.

Deacutur had no business ever being at 133 and it is unfair to base results upon what he did at 133. Even his freshman year he couldn’t make weight at big tens. Cutting too much weight can severely affect someone’s performance. Technically and physically. Does anyone remember jaggers senior year?He took lots of losses as the returning champ during the season. Why decatur continued to try at this weight was only probably for team need. Decatur lost a close match in freestyle to demilio but still showed a great tourney. I think he went like 8-2 and only other loss was to ridge Lovett which is nothing to look down at. Decatur also was in his first real action in around 8 months so rust may have been a factor.

Decatur won the right to be the starter against North Carolina. Demilio was given the spot when he got injured and echemendia got in legal trouble. To just say the spot is demilio I think is hard for me to believe. Yes he qualified for ncaas but do you not think that Decatur would have at least equaled his performance this year?He needed to beat Quinn kinner and couldn’t ecscape from a kid who he should have known inside and out. Lost to another kid at cklv that had no business losing to also. He has good wins and head scratching losses.

This is going to be an open competition and if they are going back and forth and no one has separated themselves they will probably give the spot to demilio. He has the intangibles that you mentioned that will probably be the difference maker in the decesion. Decatur has been very elite for a very long time and hasn’t wrestled the right weight class since his senior year of high school. Too early to give up on this kid. If he does not win the spot I hope to see him use the portal to give him one last shot at a season elsewhere. This may be both of their last years at 141 at least at Ohio state. Mendes is gonna be special I believe.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 11, 2022

Nick: You have an interesting point about jaggers. His regular season results, esp. his senior year, were eyebrow raising to say the least. But he AA'd as a soph and won a title as a junior so he'd earned the benefit of the doubt.

Also, looking at a wrestleoff result and a single dual at 141 doesn't tell us a lot. We really don't know how he'd have fared the whole season in the lineup at the weight.

I do agree that 133 was never the right weight class for him and that he was trying to help the team.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on July 11, 2022

Not trying to go after you Nick, and not trying to tear Decatur down. Just don’t quite see eye to eye on this one.

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Decatur also was in his first real action in around 8 months so rust may have been a factor."

He wrestled at the Open as well, but I get your point.

" To just say the spot is demilio I think is hard for me to believe. Yes he qualified for ncaas but do you not think that Decatur would have at least equaled his performance this year?"

It’s hard to say. D’Emilio tends to be available and in the lineup, and Decatur tends to not be.

" Decatur has been very elite for a very long time and hasn’t wrestled the right weight class since his senior year of high school."

Has he? When’s the last time he put in an elite performance? Certainly haven’t seen one in an OSU singlet.

" Too early to give up on this kid."

I’m just trying to be realistic. He isn’t exactly a kid anymore, is he? This is his 4th year at OSU. In theory he still has a redshirt to play with, and last year probably qualifies for a medical. So he could have a lot of wrestling ahead of him. It’s just tough to see where he fits in.

197 it took Hoffman three years and three weight classes. You need to to give Decatur one season uninjured at 141 to see who is better. Do not bash him for what he did at 133. He did that for the team and the team only. Quit remembering the matches against rby and desanto who knew he couldn’t go 7 minutes and just embarrassed him because he could barely walk off the mat. They wrestle him at 141 and the results are much different. I am not holding that against him and don’t think it’s fair for anyone else to either.

Remember pletcher at 133. He went 133 for the team even though it was a tough cut.while he did AA twice there everyone could see it was not his ideal weight. Decatur had a way harder cut than than pletcher also. When pletcher was 133 he squeaked out 90 percent of his wins. When he finally had the opening in the lineup for 141 he absolutely was a different monster. Look at his results. He majored half the kids at 141 in the top 10. Was a bonus point machine and finally was able to wrestle his style and pace that he couldn’t at 133. Still to this day wanted to see lee and pletcher settle the score.

If demilio tried killing himself to get to 133 I’m sure he would have looked the same way. Competition will make both these guys better wrestlers. This weight class is pretty thin and absolutely think both guys have a very good chance to have a very good season. This spot needs to be earned not inherited. Just to say Decatur sucks and has no motor or technique is just not fair. He beat demilio in an overtime match when demilio was the one who has the endless motor at 141. He has beaten many very elite guys for many years ( yes not in a buckeye uniform but in high school the last time he wrestled at an ideal weight)and deserves a little respect until he takes those kind of losses at 141. Sample size isn’t there at this weight yet. Let the better man win and good luck to both these athletes.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on July 12, 2022

I didn't say Decatur sucks. I understand your fascination with him. He does some things at an incredibly high level. He has the ability to score on guys that would probably blank D'Emilio.

When Evan Henderson mentioned battling in the OSU room with "guys coming after him" as one of the things that propelled him to his best ever results, Decatur is the first guy I thought of, because there's no question he can give anyone fits for 3 minutes.

The problem is putting it together for a full match. And then doing it again. And again. And again. We haven't seen him do that. His defense tends to wane the longer his matches go on. His positional discipline falls off a cliff when the tide turns against him. It's not just a physical fitness issue.

I don't have a personal preference for one or the other. I like your optimism. I hope Decatur puts it all together, earns the spot, and AA's this year. It's just more in my nature to go off of what we've actually seen, than what we hope is possible--which is why I wouldn't bet on it.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on July 12, 2022

First off, I want to be clear, I don’t care at all who starts for tOSU at 141 this year. I think it will be Demillio, but I’m wrong a lot. It does, however, always blow my mind how different people who know so much about the sport can have such vastly different views on the same topic.

As far as my take, I’m a firm believer in the “you are what your record says you are” stance. With that in mind. I think Demillio is the likely starter. It’s mentioned above that if Demillio made the cut to 133 you’re “sure” he would’ve looked the same. Why? Lots of people make tough cuts and don’t have the results that Decatur has had. Which leads me to my next point…

I think that the comparison of Decatur to Pletcher is ridiculous and borderline insulting to Pletcher. There is NOTHING about Decatur’s time in a Buckeye singlet that draws any comparison to Pletcher. Also, I think you’re remembering the situation wrong. Pletcher was forced UP to 141 as a true freshman because of the team needs. He had a good year, but fell short at NCAAs. He then cut to 133 for his next two years before moving up to 141 as a senior. Pletcher was a fantastic 133-pounder, a 2X All American at that weight and a consistent force in the lineup for four years. He made the tough cut. He was successful with no red-shirt. He was good in all phases of the sport. It’s just a completely different situation with completely different results.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 12, 2022

Michael: my comparison is not on the level of talent. Pletcher and him are no where near the same level. I am just saying pletcher was a much different animal at 141 then 133. Yes he was always good, but when he went up a weight class he was absolutely much better and his performance wasn’t hindered by a tough cut. I don’t care who wins to be honest. But all I’m saying is I can’t absolutely say demilio is better than him and to give Decatur a chance. If Decatur loses to some kid from Ohio u or eastern Michigan I will be first to admit he’s not the answer at an open. But in the last year here are his losses ( clarke,Lovett, matthews, and lugo and demilio who he is 1-1 now in that span) those are all big names. And he beat everyone he should have. I am not saying Decatur is better. I am saying I wouldn’t be surprised if he won and think people shouldn’t count him out. Looks like the majority of people are already doing that.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on July 12, 2022

"Michael: my comparison is not on the level of talent. Pletcher and him are no where near the same level. I am just saying pletcher was a much different animal at 141 then 133. Yes he was always good, but when he went up a weight class he was absolutely much better and his performance wasn’t hindered by a tough cut. I don’t care who wins to be honest. But all I’m saying is I can’t absolutely say demilio is better than him and to give Decatur a chance. If Decatur loses to some kid from Ohio u or eastern Michigan I will be first to admit he’s not the answer at an open. But in the last year here are his losses ( clarke,Lovett, matthews, and lugo and demilio who he is 1-1 now in that span) those are all big names. And he beat everyone he should have. I am not saying Decatur is better. I am saying I wouldn’t be surprised if he won and think people shouldn’t count him out. Looks like the majority of people are already doing that."

2022 Season
Opponent
School Date
Event Result Video
TDL
#175 Soda, Cameron
#70 Edinboro
02/06
Edinboro Open
L MFOR
0 - 0
#70 Oakley, Ethan
#34 Appalachian State
02/06
Edinboro Open
L DEC
4 - 3
#6 Clarke, Kizhan
#17 North Carolina
11/07
North Carolina - Ohio State Dual
L SV-1
3 - 1
2021 Season
Opponent
School Date
Event Result Video
TDL
#46 Rundell, Jake
#19 Purdue
03/06
Big Ten Championships
L MFOR
0 - 0
#57 Sjomeling, Tucker
#7 Nebraska
03/06
Big Ten Championships
L MFOR
0 - 0
#46 Rundell, Jake
#19 Purdue
03/06
Big Ten Championships
L MFOR
0 - 0
#57 Sjomeling, Tucker
#7 Nebraska
03/06
Big Ten Championships
L MFOR
0 - 0
#4 Bravo-Young, Roman
#2 Penn State
02/19
Penn State - Ohio State Dual
L TF5
27 - 8 3:37
#64 Medley, Jack
#6 Michigan
02/12
Ohio State - Michigan Dual
L DEC
6 - 4
#46 Rundell, Jake
#19 Purdue
02/07
Ohio State - Purdue Dual
W DEC
6 - 5
#82 Cockrell, Jackson
#62 Maryland
01/31
Ohio State - Maryland Dual
W DEC
15 - 9
TakedownLive Match Data
#119 Lujan, Tristan
#27 Michigan State
01/29
Ohio State Michigan State Extra
W DEC
3 - 2
#75 Hamdan, Jordan
#27 Michigan State
01/29
Michigan State - Ohio State Dual
W DEC
5 - 0
#111 Metzler, Shane
#14 Rutgers
01/24
Rutgers Ohio State Extra
W DEC
6 - 2
#5 Alvarez, Sammy
#14 Rutgers
01/24
Ohio State - Rutgers Dual
L MD
14 - 3
#28 Burwick, Kyle
#47 Wisconsin
01/17
Ohio State - Wisconsin Dual
W DEC
4 - 2
#9 Byrd, Lucas
#30 Illinois
01/17
Ohio State - Illinois Dual
L DEC
2 - 0
2020 Season
Opponent
School Date
Event Result Video
TDL
#56 Dryden, Boo
#10 Minnesota
03/07
Big Ten Championships
L DEC
1 - 0
#5 DeSanto, Austin
#1 Iowa
03/07
Big Ten Championships
L MD
17 - 3
#132 McCrone, Conor
#48 Ohio
02/16
John Carroll Open
W FALL
3:22
#55 Hamdan, Jordan
#35 Michigan State
02/16
John Carroll Open
W DEC
5 - 2
#150 Watts, Hunter
#29 Central Michigan
02/16
John Carroll Open
W DEC
8 - 4
#7 Bravo-Young, Roman
#2 Penn State
02/15
Ohio State - Penn State Dual
L DEC
10 - 4
#237 Utterback, Dylan
#27 Northwestern
02/09
Northwestern - Ohio State Dual
W MD
13 - 1
#17 Lovett, Ridge
#3 Nebraska
02/02
Ohio State - Nebraska Dual
L DEC
6 - 5
#92 Sandoval, King
#67 Maryland
01/31
Maryland - Ohio State Dual
L DEC
10 - 8
#125 Gliva, Jake
#10 Minnesota
01/26
Ohio State - Minnesota Dual
W MD
16 - 6
#5 DeSanto, Austin
#1 Iowa
01/24
Ohio State - Iowa Dual
L TF5
27 - 12 5:59
#11 Piotrowski, Travis
#28 Illinois
01/19
Illinois - Ohio State Dual
L DEC
6 - 2
#1 Gross, Seth
#9 Wisconsin
01/17
Ohio State - Wisconsin Dual
L MD
15 - 6
#10 Alvarez, Sammy
#32 Rutgers
01/10
Rutgers - Ohio State Dual
L DEC
6 - 1
#101 Kramer, Joshua
#12 Arizona State
01/06
Arizona State - Ohio State Dual
W DEC
5 - 3
#164 Almaguer, Austin
#19 Campbell
01/04
Franklin & Marshall Open
W TF5
16 - 0 7:00
#114 Diedrich, Darby
#66 Brown
01/04
Franklin & Marshall Open
W MFOR
0 - 0
#83 Book, Sam
#23 Virginia
01/04
Franklin & Marshall Open
W MD
14 - 5
#72 Agaisse, Ty
#16 Princeton
01/04
Franklin & Marshall Open
W MFOR
0 - 0
#217 Gorman, Jack
#53 Cleveland State
12/14
Cleveland State Open
W FALL
6:10
Wymer, Luke
Ashland
12/14
Cleveland State Open
W MFOR
0 - 0
#131 Papscy, Jarred
#6 North Carolina State
12/14
Cleveland State Open
W MD
15 - 2
#19 Cheek, Evan
#53 Cleveland State
12/14
Cleveland State Open
L DEC
10 - 3
#61 Benjamin, Justin
#27 Northwestern
12/14
Cleveland State Open

Roe Fox added to this discussion on July 13, 2022

I enjoy watching both wrestlers. I thought D’Emilio looked good last year and usually there is continued improvement. But any suggestion he is the hands down starter over Decatur ignores the wrestleoff last year. Decatur looked good in that match, even in OT.

Absent injury who knows what he could have done up a weight.

To me, this is a clear wrestleoff situation. Winner goes.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next