Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Why Are So Many Buckeyes Transferring?
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 4, 2022

Six Ohio State wrestlers have entered the transfer portal since the end of the season. Rocky Jordan is the most noteworthy but Will Betancourt (PSU), Kevon Freeman, A.J. Crews, Chase Liardi and Anthony Echemendia have all decided to leave Columbus.

Add in Chase Singletary, Gary Traub, Jacob Decatur, Philip Kue, Elijah Cleary and Quinn Kinner and that's twelve wrestlers who have chosen to leave in the last year.

Without having all the info handy--such as a breakdown by top 20 squads as to number of transfers per program--I can't draw any definite conclusions.

It's easy to say that some of these guys are leaving to find another program where they have a better chance to crack the lineup. And I'm sure there's some truth to it. But it sure seems like a high number.

Quick comparison--since the season ended, the only Big Ten schools with anyone in the transfer portal besides the Bucks are Iowa (1) and Illinois (3).

Lots of smart folks on this forum. Any thoughts?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 4, 2022

[quote="Hank Kornblut"]Six Ohio State wrestlers have entered the transfer portal since the end of the season. Rocky Jordan is the most noteworthy but Will Betancourt (PSU), Kevon Freeman, A.J. Crews, Chase Liardi and Anthony Echemendia have all decided to leave Columbus.

Add in Chase Singletary, Gary Traub, Jacob Decatur, Philip Kue, Elijah Cleary and Quinn Kinner and that's twelve wrestlers who have chosen to leave in the last year.

Without having all the info handy--such as a breakdown by top 20 squads as to number of transfers per program--I can't draw any definite conclusions.

It's easy to say that some of these guys are leaving to find another program where they have a better chance to crack the lineup. And I'm sure there's some truth to it. But it sure seems like a high number.

Quick comparison--since the season ended, the only Big Ten schools with anyone in the transfer portal besides the Bucks are Iowa (1) and Illinois (3).

Lots of smart folks on this forum. Any thoughts?[/

https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/what’s-happening-at-ohio-state.317029/

Hank Eastern 285.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 4, 2022

Seriously. Much ado about nothing here.

Rocky is the only guy that left that would start at any other top 20 program. Losing Rocky sucks. He is an A+ young man.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 5, 2022

I’m obviously not close to the program, but I’ve heard there may be a title IX issue. Like Coach Ryan has to limit his roster…anyone else hear that?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 5, 2022

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Seriously. Much ado about nothing here.

Rocky is the only guy that left that would start at any other top 20 program. Losing Rocky sucks. He is an A+ young man."

Kinner, Cleary and Traub all left in the last year and started for other programs. Each had a roughly equivalent year to whomever started for the Bucks.

And I think you're saying that none of the other guys who left were quality people in terms of character? Do you know that for a fact?

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on April 5, 2022

I thought this was a great take on the portal

https://twitter.com/DaminAltizer/status/1509723297109446660?s=20&t=cSzbA_D6exys3xWVSt9hkg

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 5, 2022

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I’m obviously not close to the program, but I’ve heard there may be a title IX issue. Like Coach Ryan has to limit his roster…anyone else hear that?"

I did not hear this being the case with this current roster, but I have heard that it was the case with previous rosters. So, the practice has happened.

In light of this, could it be that SOME of these wrestlers were asked by the staff to transfer?

Alex Creech added to this discussion on April 5, 2022

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"
And I think you're saying that none of the other guys who left were quality people in terms of character? Do you know that for a fact?"

Lol, do you seriously think that's what Brady is saying? Really? Come on man.

You asked a question and got several answers. Seems like you are fishing for something that isn't there.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on April 5, 2022

"I’m obviously not close to the program, but I’ve heard there may be a title IX issue. Like Coach Ryan has to limit his roster…anyone else hear that?"

I know a GREAT way to meet Title IX compliance...

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on April 5, 2022

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"

I know a GREAT way to meet Title IX compliance..."

+1 GREAT idea!

Sean Koran added to this discussion on April 5, 2022

I really don't see any issue here at all (completely from an outsider's perspective).

Let's go down the list:

- Rocky Jordan: Been at OSU for 4 years. May be graduating this spring. Good wrestler but clearly will not start next year with AA's returning at 184 and 197. Makes sense to get a free year of grad school somewhere else he can make the lineup. His brother remains a coach at OSU.

- Will Betancourt: Will be on his third school in three years. If he wants go 125 unlikely to pass Heinselman in the lineup (though he may have the same issue at PSU).

- Kevon Freeman: Been at OSU for 4 years and barely wrestled. May be graduating this spring. No chance of making the lineup next year. Will be interested to see where/if he goes next year.

- A.J. Crews: Unaware of this person until your post. Clearly not a concerning loss from a competitiveness standpoint. Could be transferring for any number of reasons.

- Chase Liardi: Unaware of this person until your post (though maybe I should have been as it looks like he had a decent FR year (beat Gonzalez). That being said, not someone with any liklihood to ever crack the lineup.

- Anthony Echemendia: Obviously having off the mat problems unrelated to anything in the OSU program. Also unclear where he fits into the lineup if he wants to start.

- Chase Singletary: Was at OSU for 4 years and (hopefully) graduated. I don't think he wrestled this year and unclear if he's planning to elsewhere. Would not have had a spot in the lineup this year had he remained for a 5th year.

- Gary Traub: Was at OSU for 5 years, so almost certainly graduated. Used free COVID year to start at the other (other) OSU and did very well. Would have remained behind returning AA Orndorff had he stayed.

Jacob Decatur: Transferred to D3 BW after 2 years at OSU. His brother remains at OSU (despite having a bumpy career so far). Won D3 title. Can only assume this was a determination about high-level D1 competitiveness/opportunities v. D3. On a personal level, maybe he liked the smaller school/being closer to home (no idea to be clear). Would not have started at OSU.

Phillip Kue: 2-5 record at OSU. Transferred to D2 St. Cloud State. Never would have started at OSU or likely most other D1 schools. Appears that he's looking to start.

Elijah Cleary: Was at OSU for 5 years. Multi-year starter for OSU at weak weight. Presumably graduated. Unclear why the move was made here, but could have been multiple reasons - grad program of choice at Pitt, desire to experience something different after 5 yrs, OSU desire to get Hepner/Hubbard/Wilcox on the mat, ????

Quinn Kinner: Unclear to me what happened here, but my (vague) understanding is there was an off the mat issue. Did not compete in 2021 (not sure if he was enrolled somewhere) and ended up at Rider (not a top-level program) this year (NQ, beat DD). High-end recruit who would have been in the mix for a starting spot the last two years had remained (if eligible).

Overall, in reviewing this list I am not seeing any red-flags in terms of transfers. Half the list likely graduated from OSU and moved on/are moving to crack the lineup elsewhere when they clearly would not have, or were uncertain to, start at OSU. Then there is a group that were not D1 level guys. Echemendia is a unique situation for many reasons. Kinner not really sure, but no evidence there was an issue within the wrestling program that caused him to leave. And then Betancourt is gonna Betancourt.

If anything, the fact that guys like Rocky and Traub stayed at OSU (Rocky this year and Gary last year) when they knew they were not going to start, and when they could have at tons of other schools, suggests to me the program is a positive environment.

I say all of this with no insight into the actual goings-on of the program whatsoever, but not seeing any red flags as an outsider.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 5, 2022

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"
And I think you're saying that none of the other guys who left were quality people in terms of character? Do you know that for a fact?"

Lol, do you seriously think that's what Brady is saying? Really? Come on man.

You asked a question and got several answers. Seems like you are fishing for something that isn't there."

Hank, Alex read it more correctly.

I’ve known Rock since he was born. I was commenting on his departure only. Making no comment on any of the others.

From a on the mat contribution aspect only, the one’s you (Hank) mentioned who left in the past have been at approx same level as the starter at same weight so their leaving is a wash.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 5, 2022

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"

I know a GREAT way to meet Title IX compliance..."

+1 GREAT idea!"

+2

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 6, 2022

Brady--got it.

Dan Strope added to this discussion on April 6, 2022

The college landscape is drastically changing. The days of "spreading out" the 9.9 to build roster depth are over. The routine "freshman redshirting" model is slowly dying. Coaches simply can not have funds tied up in non scoring roster spots.

Timing is becoming more and more critical. Less and less blue chip kids are willing to redshirt a year and then sit behind a proven starter another year until their time comes. You have to think that the Bucks benefited this recruiting class from having more available $$$ after heavy hitters Iowa, PSU and Michigan had to be a little strapped of cash in order to pony up for their aging lineups and even less opportunities to start early.

The days of giving a prospect a 1/3 scholarship and promising more $$$ if you become a starter, AA, etc. seem to be out of vogue. It also kills team depth. PSU seems to give bona fide superstars huge scholarship money with little regard to depth as they seem to have holes in their lineup when they miss or injuries are involved yet they make it happen the 3rd weekend in March.

This also leads to mounting pressure on the coaches. You almost can't afford to miss on a recruit.

I doubt we will see a Jesse Whitmer type story in the foreseeable future.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next