Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Why Are So Many Buckeyes Transferring?
Mike Stann added to this discussion on April 7, 2022

Quote from Dan Strope's post:

"The college landscape is drastically changing. The days of "spreading out" the 9.9 to build roster depth are over. The routine "freshman redshirting" model is slowly dying. Coaches simply can not have funds tied up in non scoring roster spots.

Timing is becoming more and more critical. Less and less blue chip kids are willing to redshirt a year and then sit behind a proven starter another year until their time comes. You have to think that the Bucks benefited this recruiting class from having more available $$$ after heavy hitters Iowa, PSU and Michigan had to be a little strapped of cash in order to pony up for their aging lineups and even less opportunities to start early.

The days of giving a prospect a 1/3 scholarship and promising more $$$ if you become a starter, AA, etc. seem to be out of vogue. It also kills team depth. PSU seems to give bona fide superstars huge scholarship money with little regard to depth as they seem to have holes in their lineup when they miss or injuries are involved yet they make it happen the 3rd weekend in March.

This also leads to mounting pressure on the coaches. You almost can't afford to miss on a recruit.

I doubt we will see a Jesse Whitmer type story in the foreseeable future."

Thought provoking post. Of the PSU champs this year Carter was the only redshirt and Dean was a transfer. If you want to compete with them then you sure can't miss on your highly ranked high schoolers, as PSU recruits seem to win titles and not become mid or low all-Americans. Is it the room, better judgement in recruits or large recruiting advantage? Whatever it is PSU is lapping the field when it comes to producing champions. It seems some kids might take less to wrestle at their home or favorite program such as Iowa, tOSU. Oklahoma St. etc. Now it seems to me more kids might be willing to take less to go to PSU just because there is no program right now that is really competing with them in terms of champs.

I also think that the transfer portal and NILs are going to be big in the near future. If you have a fan base that is well heeled and willing to pony up money, scholarship money becomes less important. You can pair scholarship money with NILs to give the young men an equivalent to a full scholarship. You have more to offer the highest recruits than just a scholarship. You can then entice transfers with something besides a chance to win a team championship to come fill holes in your roster. I think you are right Dan it is a whole new game in wrestling recruiting. For better or worse remains to be seen.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 7, 2022

What is a large amount of NIL money for a wrestler? Does anyone have any idea?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 7, 2022

[quote="Hank Kornblut"]What is a large amount of NIL money for a wrestler? Does anyone have any idea?[/quote

Rumors are Real Woods for 6 figures to go to Iowa

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 7, 2022

[quote="Jim Kessen"]

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"What is a large amount of NIL money for a wrestler? Does anyone have any idea?[/quote

Rumors are Real Woods for 6 figures to go to Iowa"

Dear Hank,
To a college kid, six figures is a lot of money.

(I felt the need to clarify for Hank as he rakes in seven and eight figures on the reg. #BrisketLife)

Last edited by Mark Niemann on April 7, 2022; edited 1 time in total

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 7, 2022

[quote="Mark Niemann"]

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"

"What is a large amount of NIL money for a wrestler? Does anyone have any idea?[/quote

Dear Hank,

(I felt the need to clarify for Hank as he rakes in seven and eight fongures on the reg. #BrisketLife)"

You're confusing me with this guy:
https://www.nj.com/news/2021/04/nj-wrestling-coach-with-deli-valued-at-100m-attends-tournament-wont-comment-on-business.html

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on April 7, 2022

[quote="Hank Kornblut"]

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"

Dear Hank,

(I felt the need to clarify for Hank as he rakes in seven and eight fongures on the reg. #BrisketLife)"

You're confusing me with this guy:
https://www.nj.com/news/2021/04/nj-wrestling-coach-with-deli-valued-at-100m-attends-tournament-wont-comment-on-business.html"

Hmmm, anyone else notice the nickname of this guys team is Red Raiders?
As in Shaker Heights Red Raiders??
Coincidence??

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on April 8, 2022

Perhaps OSU's staff is very honest with these kids and helping them find a place they can contribute. I've lost people in my professional career that I really cared for, but I knew it was in their best interest to go elsewhere.

I'd rather have a coach participate in honest dialogue with an athlete than encourage them to stay when they will likely not contribute in the future.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 8, 2022

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Perhaps OSU's staff is very honest with these kids and helping them find a place they can contribute. I've lost people in my professional career that I really cared for, but I knew it was in their best interest to go elsewhere.

I'd rather have a coach participate in honest dialogue with an athlete than encourage them to stay when they will likely not contribute in the future."

Hard conversations are hard to have. But they are better than lies.

Good response. And there is probably a little truth in this concerning the OHST wrestling program.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 8, 2022

Jim: Shh!

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 15, 2022

Chase Liardi is transferring to Hofstra which is closer to home. Best of luck.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 16, 2022

Why are so many buckeyes transferring ?? Because they will never start at Ohio state. Why is this a serious topic? Can anyone name a starter that transferred? This topic is like trolling. Let guys get a chance elsewhere. Would you rather be a national qualifier or Jv? I wish the best for these kids but absolutely agree with every single kid who has decided to leave. Except for kerkvliet. That worked huge in Ohio state advantage however. We got Feldman. He may have not committed

Don Bork added to this discussion on April 16, 2022

While I agree that most of the kids transferring are looking for opportunities to compete that they were unlikely to get at TOSU, in the last NCAA tournament Quinn Kinner defeated Dylan DeEmilio. It was a close match and Dylan may reverse that outcome should they wrestle again. But I hated losing Kinner. I loved his attitude and what I think he brought to the room. He was a more accomplished top wrestler than most in our program. He also may have been our starter at 141 or 157 for that matter. And, yes, if Kerkvliet were here at TOSU we most certainly would not have landed Feldman, but to say it worked in our favor ignores the fact that Kerkvliet is already a two time AA and likely to end up a four timer.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on April 16, 2022

My heart, as a wrestler likes the ability to transfer if the program I am at isn't working. Maybe you can get a better scholarship or break a lineup.

I like the NIL premise but was just unleashed without guidelines from the NCAA and the big schools are using it as a recruiting tool(100k to Suriano).

I don't want the school to have any part of the NIL dollars, it's a conflict and not their money to negotiate with and they are using it as SMU did working with sponsors/boosters close to the program ie Cliff Keen.

NIL money is between the athlete and the sponsor, not the school or the NCAA. It's not their image or money to dictate. Is it possible for a sponsor/booster to say if you go to said school we will pay you as a sponsor, sure because most likely the sponsor is local/regional and would only see value if the athlete went to the school in their market? As long as the sponsor/booster isn't working directly with the school acting on their behalf, the deal is with the athlete and sponsor.

In my opinion, Michigan is just an example, and in no way am I accusing them of anything negative; it just fits my scenario how a sponsor/booster/school potential conflict.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on April 17, 2022

Bill, you can’t pick on Michigan for Suriano’s deal without also acknowledging that around that time Tom Ryan signed the country’s top three 2022 recruits. We’re kidding ourselves if we discount the role the NIL played in that haul.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 17, 2022

I have a feeling this may be Demilio and decaturs last year as buckeyes. 141 is about to be crowded. One or both may be hitting the portal after next season. Does anyone know what happened to chase singletary. Did he just quit wrestling?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next