Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Girls Wrestling in Ohio - OHSWCA --> OHSAA
Brian Nicola added to this discussion on April 5, 2022

Posted this on Y****i, and while functional, it attracts more trolls than the #DotNet, a true haven for knowledge.

I wanted to start a thread for all matters girls wrestling in Ohio.

Topics I'd love to hear about:
1. Locations and possible timelines for girls state next year. Options span large high schools to rolling in with the guys at the Schott (this IS doable without much adjustment)
2. Local and statewide growth
3. Thoughts on next year
4. 3x to possible 4xers: Hailey Snyder, Josie Davis, Alaina Jackson.
5. Incoming 9th graders
6. Good teams, new teams and teams on the rise!

Last edited by Brian Nicola on April 5, 2022; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Alex Creech added to this discussion on April 5, 2022

I don't know a whole lot about female wrestling in Ohio. I know a couple of the programs near me have female wrestlers that competed at states, that's about it.

Last edited by Alex Creech on April 5, 2022; edited 1 time in total

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on April 5, 2022

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"
Topics I'd love to avoid (although this is America, so do what you'd like to do): Girls vs. Guys debates on skill, transgender fear-mongering, etc.
"

That's an interesting way to state your opinion and then say you don't want to talk about it. Maybe you just shouldn't have talked about it.

As for the other the things you do want to talk about, I don't know a whole lot about female wrestling in Ohio. I know a couple of the programs near me have female wrestlers that competed at states, that's about it."

That's fair. I guess I just felt they are right where people go, and I'd actually rather just talk about wrestling. Will edit my original post.

I like that you said "states". Solid!

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 5, 2022

From year 1 to year 3 — the skill level and talent depth have both grown exponentially. There are multiple reasons for this.

What will be exciting to see is the growth now that OHSAA has finally sanctioned it.

Bellefontaine is sponsoring a team and created a paid head coach position - which I will be taking this coming year. I’m sure (and hoping this is true) many schools will do the same.

We will be working closely together as a boy’s and girl’s team — with at least 1 combined practice. Myself and the boy’s staff will be working together with both teams. One program, two teams.

My preference: girls at Schott with the boys. 2nd preference: Covelli Center. No more High School setting.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on April 5, 2022

"I like that you said "states". Solid!"

I'm curious now how they did, is there a link to brackets\results somewhere?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 5, 2022

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"

"I like that you said "states". Solid!"

I'm curious now how they did, is there a link to brackets\results somewhere?"

Trackwrestling — search OHSWCA in the events

Jared Ball added to this discussion on April 6, 2022

I was fortunate enough to help Eddie Jayne run a December girls tournament that included both high school and middle school out at Watkins. I was super impressed by some of the depth that seems to be emerging. I also think it’s a great thing that we’ve seen new programs emerge to win the team titles each of the last three years. I’m not sure what the time table is to move the girls tournament along with the boys, but for equity purposes it needs to happen sooner rather than later. I’m not a fan of the Friday-Sunday model for the guys tournament, but with the addition of a girls division I wonder if that would push the tournament to a full three days if not to four? I also think the OHSAA is being hemmed into the weekend by Ohio State. My AD called and asked why the tournament is being pushed to Friday-Saturday and the response was availability, and that parking is becoming an increasing problem with the tournament. Adding more competitors will make this a bigger issue for the university. Maybe it’s time to look elsewhere.
As far as expansion goes, I applaud the wrestling community. I’ve seen urban, rural, and suburban area coaches whole heartedly buy into the expansion of the sport to women unlike any other new sport we’ve seen added in the last 25 years. Maybe it’s because all of us have always had to recruit kids to the sport, but it has seem to come very naturally. I’ve been very proud of how the wrestling community has embraced women’s wrestling so rapidly. It’s a force, and will only continue to thrive.

► Add to the Discussion