Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Bucks at US Open
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 20, 2022

Ohio State Entrees
Seniors

61 kg - Jesse Mendez
Top names in the field at 61 kg: Seth Gross, Tyler Graff, Nico Megaludis, Daniel DeShazer, Wyatt Henson, Sean Fausz

70 kg - Sammy Sasso
Top names in the field at 70 kg: Tyler Berger, Alec Pantaleo, Anthony Ashanault, Jordan Oliver, Jacori Teemer, Bryce Andonian, Austin Gomez, Will Lewan, Brock Mauller

125 kg - Tate Orndorff

55 kg (Greco) - Brady Koontz

61 kg (Greco) - Dylan Koontz

77 kg (Greco) - Fritz Schierl

130 kg (Greco) - Tate Orndorff

U20

57 kg - Andre Gonzales

79 kg - Rocco Welsh
Top names in the field at 79 kg: Manny Rojas, Cael Valencia, Andrew Sparks, Matthew Singleton, James Rowley, Tate Naaktgeboren, Danny Wask

125 kg - Nick Feldman

U17

55 kg - Vinny Kilkeary
Top names in the field at 55 kg: Nate Jesuroga, Leo Deluca, Mason Gibson, Ben Davino, Kael Lauridsen, Aden Valencia, Jax Forrest

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on April 20, 2022

Decent group, was hoping to see a few more guys compete (maybe we still will?). Henderson and Smith will be there representing Ohio RTC as well. Sonny Sasso is also registered.

Curious to see how Mendez looks against senior level competition.

Good opportunity to see how Gonzales looks at 125.

Feldman I expect to roll through his U20 bracket.

John Drumm added to this discussion on April 20, 2022

Could Feldman have entered the Senior Division? Or is there some kind of restriction? I am not being critical, just curious.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 20, 2022

Quote from John Drumm's post:

"Could Feldman have entered the Senior Division? Or is there some kind of restriction? I am not being critical, just curious."

Yes I believe he could have since Mendez did.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on April 21, 2022

You have to be born in 2004 or before to wrestle in the Senior US Open. Most seniors in high school would have been born in 2004 or earlier, so I would assume Feldman was eligible, but there are some age restrictions.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 29, 2022

Sasso wins first two easily then falls in quarters to Jordan Oliver. Not a bad effort by Sasso but he gave up one 4 pt move.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on April 30, 2022

Andre Gonzales has wrestled his way into the finals of the 57kg in a bracket that included Richie Figueroa (ASU), Cooper Flynn (Vatech), and Gary Steen (PSU). Not sure if we’ve heard any confirmation about Malik, but this is a solid showing for Gonsales. Maybe tOSU has a few more options than originally thought at 125.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on April 30, 2022

Very good showing by Gonzales so far, definitely something to get excited about.

Welsh made the semis until he lost to senior Wask from Blair- Who beat Geog earlier this year (Ironman I think).

Satisifed with Mendez wrestling up at the senior level.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on April 30, 2022

Jordan Decatur competed at 65kg and looked like his same old self.

He can still take anyone down in the thirty seconds of a match, which is good. But his gas tank is still tiny, which isn't good.

Decatur was up 6-0 on Pat Lugo and looking aggressive, but ended up losing 14-6. I couldn't find any of his other matches on Flo.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on April 30, 2022

Good Bucs showing in U20 FS: 57kg Gonzalez 2nd, 61kg Bouzakis 1st, 79kg Welsh 3rd, 125kg Feldman 1st.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on May 1, 2022

Decent weekend for Ohio State. My two cents:

Andre Gonzales - 57kg Juniors - 2nd

Not the most polished freestyler... fell into some easy counters (mostly crotch lifts). Wrestled a few scrappy, close matches. Lost to Minnesota commit Troy Spratley in the final... tough match, AG was pretty much shut down.

Nic Bouzakis - 61kg Juniors - 1st

Strong performance. Wrestled a couple of close matches, but nothing alarming. Pretty much as advertised--very physical, and clean in his finishes. Looks like a vet.

Jesse Mendez - 61kg Seniors - 3rd

Impressive. Only loss was a close one to DeShazer, who's been around the senior circuit for a while now. When Mendez is looking to score it's hard to stop him. Beat a few NCAA qualifiers handily in the wrestlebacks. Graff and DeShazer both forfeited giving him 3rd place. It seems pretty clear to me that this is his optimal competition weight, at least at the moment.

Jordan Decatur - 65kg Seniors - DNP

Some good, some bad. He continues to possess some offense where, put whoever you want in front of him, and he's still scoring. Rashidov, Bajrang, whoever. Doesn't matter. But, his positional discipline still falls apart quickly when things start to go wrong. Essentially he's like a shark, he can only swim forward.

Sammy Sasso - 70kg Seniors - 5th

OK weekend for Sasso. Looked comfortable at the weight. Lost 7-1 to JO, beat everyone else handily, and then lost a poorly wrestled match to Doug Zapf from Penn (who was "just" an NCAA qualifier at 157 this year, and had a huge breakout tournament).

Rocco Welsh - 79kg Juniors - 3rd

Plenty to work on, but this kid is a beast. Shouldn't have lost his semi, couple of 50/50 exchanges that he came out on the wrong side of, but he likely would have lost to Augustine from Pitt in the final either way (by the way, look out for him next year). Don't think it's at all far fetched to think he could step into the lineup in 2 years as a true freshman and compete right away.

Nick Feldman - 125kg Juniors - 1st

All techs except for his semi, which he won 2-1 via shot clock against Juan Mora from NDSU. Mora redshirted this year and went 10-7 at opens with no notable wins. I'm not saying Feldman isn't amazing. My only concern is that he's hardly wrestled any difficult matches. Might take a year to adjust to the NCAA level.

Kilkeary also wrestled at U17s and didn't have a great weekend. His results are kind of erratic in general. Exciting prospect, but he's not yet on the level of the guys above.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 1, 2022

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"Decent weekend for Ohio State. My two cents:

Andre Gonzales - 57kg Juniors - 2nd

Not the most polished freestyler... fell into some easy counters (mostly crotch lifts). Wrestled a few scrappy, close matches. Lost to Minnesota commit Troy Spratley in the final... tough match, AG was pretty much shut down.

Nic Bouzakis - 61kg Juniors - 1st

Strong performance. Wrestled a couple of close matches, but nothing alarming. Pretty much as advertised--very physical, and clean in his finishes. Looks like a vet.

Jesse Mendez - 61kg Seniors - 3rd

Impressive. Only loss was a close one to DeShazer, who's been around the senior circuit for a while now. When Mendez is looking to score it's hard to stop him. Beat a few NCAA qualifiers handily in the wrestlebacks. Graff and DeShazer both forfeited giving him 3rd place. It seems pretty clear to me that this is his optimal competition weight, at least at the moment.

Jordan Decatur - 65kg Seniors - DNP

Some good, some bad. He continues to possess some offense where, put whoever you want in front of him, and he's still scoring. Rashidov, Bajrang, whoever. Doesn't matter. But, his positional discipline still falls apart quickly when things start to go wrong. Essentially he's like a shark, he can only swim forward.

Sammy Sasso - 70kg Seniors - 5th

OK weekend for Sasso. Looked comfortable at the weight. Lost 7-1 to JO, beat everyone else handily, and then lost a poorly wrestled match to Doug Zapf from Penn (who was "just" an NCAA qualifier at 157 this year, and had a huge breakout tournament).

Rocco Welsh - 79kg Juniors - 3rd

Plenty to work on, but this kid is a beast. Shouldn't have lost his semi, couple of 50/50 exchanges that he came out on the wrong side of, but he likely would have lost to Augustine from Pitt in the final either way (by the way, look out for him next year). Don't think it's at all far fetched to think he could step into the lineup in 2 years as a true freshman and compete right away.

Nick Feldman - 125kg Juniors - 1st

All techs except for his semi, which he won 2-1 via shot clock against Juan Mora from NDSU. Mora redshirted this year and went 10-7 at opens with no notable wins. I'm not saying Feldman isn't amazing. My only concern is that he's hardly wrestled any difficult matches. Might take a year to adjust to the NCAA level.

Kilkeary also wrestled at U17s and didn't have a great weekend. His results are kind of erratic in general. Exciting prospect, but he's not yet on the level of the guys above."

Nice breakdown. Thanks.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on May 1, 2022

Good breakdown, Brian.

I haven't seen any of Gonzales' matches but with the 2nd place perofrmance and another year of Heinselman at 125, I think we should feel good about Gonzales taking over in 2 years.

I also think Chittum wrestled in this tournament at 65 kgs and DNP.

► Add to the Discussion