Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: WTT
Luke Moore added to this discussion on May 21, 2022

I have seen a lot of talk on twitter about the attendance issues at the trials, and how low it is.

To me, it makes perfect sense. The wrestling is great, but its not actually the World Team Trials. I think the Final X is cool, but it has made it harder for fans. Nothing is really being decided this weekend.

And I have always thought this, but why should a guy like Taylor just sit out the Open and the trials and only have to wrestle, at tops, 3 matches to make the team again? I understand why they do it, but it takes away from the product.

Also, hosting it the weekend before Memorial Day, right as schools are getting out with graduations, etc., and do it in Iowa??? Pretty dumb on USA Wrestling's part.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Luke Moore added to this discussion on May 21, 2022

I also thought it was advertised very poorly. Granted, I am not sitting on Flo looking for upcoming tourneys, but it seemed pretty quiet and far as generating buzz. I truthfully only knew what was going on until I saw the seeds on Yappi.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 23, 2022

I'm sure they had a decent viewing audience online but in the USA you get a turnout for high school and college. The issue of creating a larger audience for post-collegiate comp is ongoing.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on May 23, 2022

I'm sure that I'm in the heavy, heavy minority, but I wouldn't mind if they just picked the best team. I know you open a huge can of worms, and the possibility of politics and even bribes emerges.

Have three mandatory camps. Coaches watch and measure everything, like a traditional tryout. Pick the team.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 23, 2022

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"I'm sure that I'm in the heavy, heavy minority, but I wouldn't mind if they just picked the best team. I know you open a huge can of worms, and the possibility of politics and even bribes emerges.

Have three mandatory camps. Coaches watch and measure everything, like a traditional tryout. Pick the team."

Yup. You nailed it. "Heavy, heavy minority..."

► Add to the Discussion