Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: RIP Coach Masanek
Freddy Carr added to this discussion on May 30, 2022

Coach Ron Masanek (1941-2022)

It’s hard to put into words the impact this man had on the mat, and in the community. Coach graduated in 1959 from Parma HS, then became a letterman at Miami University, and ultimately landed at Fairfield High School in SW Ohio where he started a wrestling program in 1965. He built Fairfield Wrestling into machine that would become the very definition of wrestling excellence in SW Ohio.

Coach Masanek led the Fairfield Wrestling program for 48 years. His teams had a dual record of 403-83-3. The Indians won 23 GMC Championships, 8 District Championships, 15 Sectional Championships.

Masanek coached six different individual State Champions, including the 4-timer Willie Wineberg and former Purdue Head Coach Scott Hinkel. His coaching tree remains a wide-reaching network across many states.

Coach’s impact on the mat is matched with that which is felt in the community. His mentorship to thousands over the decades will leave an enduring and everlasting legacy.

Personally, I had the tremendous privilege many decades ago to qualify for sectionals multiple times under Coach. :-) To this day, being part of his Fairfield Wrestling “Family” is something I’m most proud of. My family has been blessed to have been led my Coach Masanek. I’ll love him deeply forever, and vow to pass on his teachings the rest of my days.

Huge gratitude to his wife Steffie, and daughters Mikie and Charlie for allowing the community to “borrow” him for all of those countless hours he spent coaching and mentoring. That sacrifice has led to an everlasting legacy in our community and beyond.

Never Give In. Never Give In. Never, Never, Never Give In.

RIP, Coach.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: RIP Coach Masanek
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 30, 2022

Nice tribute. Some great wrestling folks have come out of Parma. RIP

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion