Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Jordan Burroughs
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 9, 2022

Ohio’s own Zeb Miller interviewed Jordan Burroughs after JB earned his spot on the World/Olympic team - FOR THE 11th TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/zzsmiller/status/1534716780232462337?s=21&t=W6uUjWsI8zt9z6n5ImyoQA

As I listened to him speak, I reflected on his role Team USA. I have long said that he “is the face of Team USA”. As I was thinking on this thought, another thought popped in my head - “What if Dake would have beat JB back in those early years?”

I am a fan of Kyle Dake. He’s freaking NAILS!!!! He does nothing (that I know of) that makes me dislike him. But could he have been the leader JB has been and is!?!? Personally, I do not think so. And to be clear - I like Dake! A lot!!!

Thoughts on Dake being the face of Team USA as opposed to JB (had Dake won early in the series)???

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on June 9, 2022

I think Jordan Burroughs has provided a type of leadership that is very rare in national level sports. What makes him great, IMO:

1) Longevity and consistency allows him to earn the trust of the USA staff and teammates. His style is vastly different from 2012 and I'm sure this is reflected in his training etc

2) Wholesome grittiness. He is a "good guy" that isn't afraid to take off the gloves when necessary. Super likeable "family man".

3) Selflessness: After losing to Dake, he goes on the mic at the Olympics and kills it. Then moves up to 79 KG and wins again at worlds.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on June 9, 2022

Agree with both of you, although Dake has done or said a few things over the years that haven't made him the most likable character (I'm a fan, anyway).

Burroughs/Dake (or Burroughs/Taylor) for that matter, are interesting "what ifs" for USA wrestling.

JB's excellence on the mat is obvious, only matched by Smith and Bruce. What's made him so unique isn't just the fact that he IS the face of USA Wrestling, but that he embraced that role and became a talisman of change, ushering in a new era of USAW achievement after a pretty dire stretch in our history.

It's rare to have an athlete that isn't just an all-time great, but also an active participant in and observer of the legacy they're creating. Most won't acknowledge those sort of aspirations. JB has never hid from them.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on June 9, 2022

I agree with all three of you. Dake is a great wrestler, but Burroughs has a certain charisma with the media that is matched by very few people. He is very approachable and likeable, and even fans from other countries love him. Burroughs is always very professional and knows when/what to say.

Again, Dake is a phenomenal wrestler and has a ton of fans, but I think some things he's said/done have rubbed people the wrong way, in particular all his moaning and groaning about the trials process and then how he milked it by delaying his series with Dieringer until August yet he somehow wrestled in a tournament in July. He also seems to be a little more secretive with the media, which he is absolutely entitled to do, but you won't develop the same rapport with the media as Burroughs if you're not as open.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 10, 2022

Jeff: excellent point concerning Dake and his relationship with the media. It’s not that it’s adversarial; it’s just not whatever it is that JB has. :-)

► Add to the Discussion