Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: 2022-2023 Ohio State thoughts
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on September 28, 2022

Wrestlers: Malik Heinselman (Sr), Brady Koontz (RS Sr), Brendan McCrone (Fr), Andre Gonzales (RS Fr), Braxton Apello (Fr)
My assumption is that Malik will be the starter and we might see Gonzales on the mat on occasion. Wrestlestat has Malik 9th. I think he is in that range. Top 8 on a good day, 15-20 on a bad day.

Wrestlers: Andre Gonzales (RS Fr), Braxton Apello (Fr), Dylan Koontz (Sr), Nic Bouzakis (Fr), Jesse Mendez (Fr)
I believe we will see both Bouzakis and Mendez at this weight this year, and possibly Gonzales. Ohio State has seven events before the first B1G match, with one Open where both Bouzakis and Mendez can wrestle. I would divide those up so each gets action without burning a RS and then pick one for the rest of the season. I think it will be Bouzakis, but wouldn’t bet on it! Wrestlestat has Gonzales 32nd.

Wrestlers: Jesse Mendez (Fr), Dylan D’Emilio (RS Jr), Jordan Decatur (Sr), Alex Flerlage (RS So), Garrett Lautzenheiser (So)
This is D-Emilio’s weight to lose, but Decatur showed last year in his brief action that at the right weight, he can be dangerous. I really wish we could have seen what Jordan would have done at 141 from the beginning. Wrestlestat has D’Emilio 8th. I think he has a shot at the podium this year, but would need to be at his best.

Wrestlers: Klay Reeves (RS Jr), Sammy Sasso (RS Sr), Gavin Brown (Fr)
I’m pretty certain Sammy is going to win the job. If the cut is an issue, let Brown get some matches to see what he can do. Wrestlestat has Sammy 2nd.

Wrestlers: Gavin Brown (Fr), Paddy Gallagher (RS Fr), Isaac Wilcox (Jr)
Assuming Paddy wins the wrestleoff, I am excited to see what he can do this year. He only wrestled two matches against quality opponents last year, and lost both. Needs to be better for sure. Wrestlestat has Paddy ranked 30th.

Wrestlers: Bryce Hepner (Jr), Carson Kharchla (RS Jr), Ethan Smith (RS Sr), Carter Chase (Fr)
First off, on Smith’s actual bio page it shows 174. So that is where I expect him. Kharchla had a disappointing 7th place finish last year. Problems on bottom (and the terrible NCAA review system) cost him. Hoping for better this year. Wrestlestat has Carson ranked 6th.

Wrestlers: Ethan Smith (RS Sr), Bryer Hall (RS Fr)
Smith should man this weight and hopefully be able to become an All-American again this year. This weight is dangerously thin unless you assume Kharchla is bumping up next year. Wrestlestat has Smith ranked 6th.

Wrestlers: Gavin Bell (RS So), Kaleb Romero (RS Sr), Luke Geog (Fr), Seth Shumate (Fr)
Romero looks to follow up on his All-American finish with another great season. Interesting to me that Shumate is listed here and 197. Hopefully he and Geog get some action this year. Wrestlestat has Romero ranked 4th.

Wrestlers: Seth Shumate (Fr), Gavin Hoffman (RS Sr), Tyler Stein (RS Sr), Nicholas Boykin (RS Jr)
Hoffman had the Kenny Courts run last year, and the trend towards the end of the season shows that can continue. He was in close matches with highly ranked opponents all year and finally started pulling them out. Boykin dropping from heavy is Olympic team related. Would like to see Shumate get a match or two here or 184. Wrestlestat has Gavin ranked 18th.

Wrestlers: Nick Feldman (Fr), Mike Misita (RS Fr), Tate Orndorff (RS Sr), Hogan Swenski (RS Fr)
Tate will be the starter, but I hope Feldman gets his 5 events. Ohio State gets a LOT of ranked heavyweights on the schedule. I think the two matchups I would be most interested in seeing are against Davison and Kerkvliet.

Overall
I think this Ohio State team should have 10 qualifiers. Every wrestler on the team has a shot at winning matches at the NCAA tournament. Further, any specific wrestler could become an AA and I wouldn’t be shocked. Surprised, maybe, but not shocked. This is a balanced team that should do well in duals and tournaments alike.

Proposal
Anyone who has Tom Ryan’s ear, tell him we need to see this lineup vs. Kent State:
125 - Andre Gonzales (RS Fr) or Brendan McCrone (Fr)
133 - Nic Bouzakis (Fr)
141 - Jesse Mendez (Fr)
149 – Gavin Brown (Fr)
157 – Paddy Gallagher (RS Fr)
165 – Bryer Hall (RS Fr)
174 – Ethan Smith (RS Sr)
184 – Luke Geog (Fr)
197 – Seth Shumate (Fr)
285 – Nick Feldman (Fr)

That lineup features wrestlers who have 3 or more NCAA tournaments left. And it would still beat Kent State. I would favor Kent at 174 (moderate) and call 125 a toss up.

*While Kharchla is listed as a RS Jr, he competed unattached in 2019-2020, missed 2020-2021 with injury and has only wrestled in one NCAA tournament. He was also voted the Ohio State Freshman of the Year last year.*

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 28, 2022

Good summation Jason but I don't personally feel Carson's 7th was "disappointing." It was his first full season in the lineup and he was coming off a year lost to a significant knee injury. Add in the depth at that weight and I really thought he had a good year. No one knew how good O'toole and Hamiti would be.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on September 28, 2022

I guess disappointing was meant more as I'm betting he was disappointed. Ethan Smith last year and Kaleb the year before show how hard it is to be an All American.

I wouldn't say I was disappointed, just that I'm guessing he and the staff were hoping for a higher spot on the podium.

I should have written that better.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 28, 2022

Just making conversation. It's hard to write an all encompassing overview without having a few critics chirp.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on September 28, 2022

Hoffman is ranked 18th pre-season? What am I missing? I don't much care about pre-season rankings in any sport but this seems ridiculously low to me.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on September 28, 2022

Question - were new scholarship rules put into place to make way for the 6th year athletes and the incoming freshmen?

How do schools keep high-level starters on scholarship while adding so much talent? Do the graduate students come off scholarship/not count against the 9.9?

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on September 28, 2022

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

"Hoffman is ranked 18th pre-season? What am I missing? I don't much care about pre-season rankings in any sport but this seems ridiculously low to me."

Flo has him at 8th.

Sean Koran added to this discussion on September 29, 2022

I may be missing something, but why would you favor the Kent 174 (whoever that may be) over Smith?

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on September 29, 2022

Sorry, at 174 that should have been Breyer Hall in the lineup, I copied the wrong wrestler. I would favor the Kent 174 over Hall, not Smith.

Sean Koran added to this discussion on September 30, 2022

That makes a lot more sense. Thanks. Wasn't sure if you were privy to info that Lewis was transferring to Kent.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on September 30, 2022

Wrestlingbucks twitter account posted that wrestle offs are October 27th. Not a lot of suspense, just 133 really, but interested to see the freshman in action. Paddy too.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on September 30, 2022

Hoping if we see Paddy vs. Wilcox it won't be a very close match.

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"Wrestlingbucks twitter account posted that wrestle offs are October 27th. Not a lot of suspense, just 133 really, but interested to see the freshman in action. Paddy too."

Roe Fox added to this discussion on September 30, 2022

No wrestleoff at 141?

Jared Ball added to this discussion on October 1, 2022

This Buckeye team will represent the most experienced roster in the history of the program. That’s a very literal statement. Whereas programs like Michigan benefitted from the additional Covid years others, like Iowa, were riddled with injuries. The new rule to allow true freshman the opportunity to wrestle couldn’t have come at a better time for the Bucks. The ability to give veteran wrestlers time off, or provide breaks from weight cutting will hopefully allow guys to extend their window of optimal performance. Experience coupled with potentially the best recruiting class ever is an opportunity.
The downside if having such a veteran group is that you don’t necessarily see jumps in ability. Guys typically are what they are by this point. That is to say the gap between skill and potential shrinks. This team will likely be one of the top dual teams in the country. PSU and Iowa are the only likely programs that on paper are in the same realm. I put the Bucks ahead of Iowa. From an NCAA tournament perspective I’m not sure where we stand. You have to put guys in the finals to compete for trophies. 5th-8th place finishes don’t get it done. Sasso could make the finals, but outside of that I’m not sure where big gulps of points come from. 3/4 is a very realistic prediction. I put our highest output jumps at 141: due to the weight class clearing out. 133, anything has to be an improvement, and 157: also due to the weight emptying out. However these three perform determines how far the team goes.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on October 1, 2022

Ohio state can hang with anyone in a dual meet. Every member of the lineup should be solidified in the top 20 for the entire year. The problem with ncaas is like mentioned the top end and finalists. Sasso I believe is still the second best at the weight class and needs to get a 2nd or 3rd seed at ncaas. He can be a finalist. Kharchla can be a finalist and or win it. He has been in every match he has ever wrestled in. Griffin, otoole, hamiti. Those are the top guys and has never lost a match by more than 2 points. I expect a better year as he couldn’t really train correctly for a full season/offseason. The rest of the lineup is borderline top guys. Romero and smith are definitely top 5 and Mendes/bouzakis may be there also. On a great weekend second place. Bad weekend 5/6.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next