Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: 2022-2023 Ohio State thoughts
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on October 26, 2022

Taken from PSU forum.

Per RoarLion1. He is a very knowledgeable poster and does similar write up for other teams. Michigan, ASU and Missouri so far.

Ohio State Worthless Nuts: (Note: the result of a joke I heard years ago, still funny)

Known Entities, likely All-Americans:
149: Sammy Sasso – A finalist (and 2nd-place finisher) in 2021, Sasso also finished 5th in 2022. Diakomihalis is the odds-on favorite at 149, but Sasso is in the mix with Gomez, Lovett and others for 2nd this year. Cap at 2nd place, though Gomez did handle him twice in the 2022 post-season.
174: Ethan Smith – One in a bevy of guys that could finish in the 3rd through 6th places, at least on paper and in my opinion. Smith is a 4x qualifier, and finished 5th to AA in 2021. A 6th year senior, he IS good enough to finish 3rd.
184: Kaleb Romero – A 3x qualifier and 6th place finisher in 2022, I see a strong possibility he’ll improve on that finish. The top-3 (Brooks, Hidlay, Keckeisen) at 184 have separated themselves, but Myles Amine is gone, so I’m capping Romero’s finish at 4th.
165: Carson Karchla – Finished 7th last season, but didn’t lose a bout by more than 2 the entire season. Really good wrestler, but with the addition of Carr at 165 (O’Toole, Griffith, Amine and Hamiti are still there too!), I see a 5th to 8th place finish in his future.
197: Gavin Hoffman – Was 2022 lightning in a bottle or is Hoffman right there to AA again? He beat higher seeds Sloan, Bonaccorsi, and Woodley to finish 6th from the 21 seed. With Truax moving up from 184 and Michael Beard going for Lehigh, I’m only giving Hoffman a 60% chance of a repeat AA. Happened before, so it could happen again.
285: Tate Orndorff – Finished 8th in 2021 and round of 12 last season. He’s right there, but not showing that much improvement. He’ll be in the mix, I’ll give him a 50% shot at an AA finish. I also think it’s possible that uber-recruit Nick Feldman could be the starter by years end.

Next Level:
125: Malik Heinselman – A 4x qualifier, the senior will be in the fight for an All-American finish. I have him in the 8th through 12th place range with a less than 50% chance of an AA finish.
141: Dylan D’Emilio – A 2x qualifier with a round of 16 finish. Like Heinselman, he’ll be in a fight for an AA finish. I do give him slightly better odds at about 60%.
133: Jesse Mendez – Super recruit, finished his high school career at 157-1. He WILL be in the mix to AA, but as a true freshman, I’ll leave him in this category. Doubtful he can beat the likes of Bravo-Young and Daton Fix. Maybe he’ll challenge Arujau, McGee, Byrd and Ragusin, who knows. I think he will, with a cap at a 3rd place finish.
157: Paddy Gallagher – A 10-1 redshirt season record against D-1 competition was solid, only losing in Sudden Victory. He also lost to Penn State recruit Levi Haines 8-3. Not sure where he’ll fit in at 157, with Andonian moving up from 149 and the possibility of Haines entering the fray. This is a solid weight class, I’ll give the young Buckeye a 50% chance to AA.

Team: Ohio State is a solid team, both dual meet-wise and tournament-wise. I really don’t see a weakness. No way they finish close to 13th, as they did at last March’s NCAA Championship, this team is built more like the 2017, 2018, and 2019 teams, all of which finished SECOND. Seriously, 2nd through 4th would be my guess, and that will likely depend on the freshmen starters. High end, point-wise without bonus) is 86 or so and low end in the 70 range.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: 2022-2023 Ohio State thoughts
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 26, 2022

Good summation by the poster. Thanks for sharing.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2