Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Paddy Gallagher
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 6, 2022

I just watched his finals match with NW and came away feeling that he wrestles with great effort and determination. He got beat in OT because his opponent felt his shot and made a smart counter. But he didn't appear gassed or overwhelmed.

I think we need to be patient with PG. He's not a #1 recruit in the country caliber talent (that's Mendez) and he's not going to live up to that expectation. He is a hard working battler and only a redshirt frosh.

Think of Kaleb Romero, who looked pretty pedestrian his first few years, before he finally got healthy, refined his tactics and hit his stride.

Or think about Gavin Hoffman, who was similarly dominant in high school, but needed a lot of time to figure out how to compete and win against high end D1 comp.

Is he sucking too much weight? Could that impact him? Absolutely. But it's going to take a while to get a clear read on this young man. And, to quote Greg Urbas via Bob P--kids are allowed to get better.

I think he will. It just might take a while

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on November 7, 2022

Well said Hank. Paddy will be just fine.

Had Covid never happened and Ethan Smith not returned for a sixth season Paddy would be at 165 and Kharchla at 174. Sammy would have bumped to 157. It’s a tough cut for all of them.

Speaking of Smith, he just annihilates mediocre opponents. Dog on a bone mentality. Same is true of Romero. Been fun to watch these guys progress.

Don Bork added to this discussion on November 7, 2022

I have been a fan of Paddy’s aggressive style going back to high school. It’s important to remember that he is only a redshirt freshman and though we all have high hopes for him, four time AAs are a rarity.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 7, 2022

The fact that people are so concerned about Gallagher speaks to how high the standards have gotten at tOSU. 4X AA is the expectation, as it always should've been. If you're in the starting lineup for Ohio State you should contend for an All American spot.

But let's not forget the long list of fantastic two and three time All Americans that have come through the Buckeye program. Names like Mike Sckyck, Mark Marinelli, Adam DiSabito, Rex Holman, Reece Humphrey, Joey McKenna, Luke Pletcher, Micah Jordan. If Gallagher has a career that stacks up to any of these guys I'm sure fans would be thrilled...at least they should be thrilled.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 7, 2022

It could be about "body type". ..Paddy fits one type that may take awhile-- the "strong as a bull" type like C.P. Schlatter & Marinelli, guys use to imposing their will because of phenominal strength coming right out of hs. That strength will be a great asset however college requires more savvy and leverage.

Whereas Hamiti of Wisc & O'Toole of Missou have the perfect for wrestling body type, a "stretch the hell out of em, i can reach & scramble from anywhere" technique can be more naturally, quicker adapted to.

going way back Keaton Anderson struggled at 141, then 149 before dominating at 157 his senior year (#1 until he got hurt). Had too much pure lean muscle mass to be cuting that much.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on November 7, 2022

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"It could be about "body type". ..Paddy fits one type that may take awhile-- the "strong as a bull" type like C.P. Schlatter & Marinelli, guys use to imposing their will because of phenominal strength coming right out of hs. That strength will be a great asset however college requires more savvy and leverage.

Whereas Hamiti of Wisc & O'Toole of Missou have the perfect for wrestling body type, a "stretch the hell out of em, i can reach & scramble from anywhere" technique can be more naturally, quicker adapted to.

going way back Keaton Anderson struggled at 141, then 149 before dominating at 157 his senior year (#1 until he got hurt). Had too much pure lean muscle mass to be cuting that much."

Periodically I look for Anderson’s college matches but can never find any.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 7, 2022

"Whereas Hamiti of Wisc & O'Toole of Missou have the perfect for wrestling body type, a "stretch the hell out of em, i can reach & scramble from anywhere" technique can be more naturally, quicker adapted to."

Perhaps we should add the name Brendan Mccrone to this list of long, lanky, ugly wrestlers? Kudos to him for destroying the comp at 125 in the frosh/soph division this weekend. But he is one odd wrestler to watch.

When he moves on his feet, he looks like Scooby Doo running in place with arms/legs flailing. I'd describe the technique on his leg attacks as kind of shtty. And he sets up putting his leg in on top by just throwing it in. No blocking the opponents arm for Mccrone! Why do that when maybe you can just trap his arm with your leg?

Hard to imagine any of the stuff he does working against quality opponents but then again he could be an Ethan Lizak in the making. One thing for sure--opponents are in trouble if they don't finish shots quick and clean against him. He'll lasso you up and roll around until you give. And once those boots are in it only looks like he's getting reversed. Somehow he hangs on. For sheer entertainment value, it would be fun to see him hit the lineup from time to time. Honestly, it wouldn't shock me if he develops into a much better wrestler than anyone expects because he's very good at his unique style.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 8, 2022

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"
Periodically I look for Anderson’s college matches but can never find any."

one u can find, a very inj Keaton wr a close match 3-2 loss NCAA semis vs eventual champ Ryan Bertin in Kansas city about year 2001

Don Bork added to this discussion on November 8, 2022

Would much rather see his match against defending NC Luke Becker that same year in St. John’s arena. He destroyed him and the crowd went nuts!

Roe Fox added to this discussion on November 8, 2022

I can’t find either on YouTube

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on November 8, 2022

Agree with most on here that the standard is very high but maybe Paddy hasn't been as dominant coming out of the gate as many had had hoped. Is it the weight or simply adjusting to the rigors of college wrestling? Hepner showed a lot of grit in the upset of Karchla at the wrestle off and was borderline top 25 when he was in the lineup last year at 157. Does he challenge Paddy at 157?

Jeff Mowrer added to this discussion on November 9, 2022

Hepner walks around at 180+, 157 isn't in the cards.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 8, 2023

Paddy wrestled great for three minutes against IU.

Kind of at a pivotal junction towards this year.

Struggling to wrestle from great position for seven minutes.

He is conditioned mentally and physically to do it for part of the match but there is a decline as the match goes forward in which his feet or hands are not keeping up with the initial pace.

Kind of like starting out on eight cylinders and gradually losing a cylinder as you go and materially affecting performance.

Why I say pivotal?

Because what people are seeing may be misinterpreted.

I remember being in a similar situation and coaches would question your heart and whether one cared enough. That is just retarded.

You are as much coaching a kid's emotions at that young age as you are trying to objectively address their weaknesses.

The appropriate way to address the situation is to say; you wrestled great for three minutes, your position declined as the match wore on. You weren't reacting and attacking with your hand fighting and footwork as you need to do for the entire match.

We are going to work on that aspect of your game to get the most out of you. We double down on that aspect of your training with drills and practices designed to achieve that end.

If it is a lacking energy from standpoint of caloric restriction, then we are going to figure out the nutrition and calorie function. Wrestlers are notoriously awful at managing their eating patterns and meals. We are going to figure it out.

The knee is at 90%. Ok. It will gradually get better and in the meantime. We are not going to reinjure it.

Catch 22. The more fatigue you incur, the more likely you are to get injured. So, your progression towards conditioning competency is going to take place under a watchful eye.

Also, Chumley from NW is a stud and likely AA this year. So, the early season meet was an indication that Paddy is right where he needed to be.

Also, back to emotional coaching. You can totally deflate a kid's spirit by treating him like a redheaded stepchild if he underperforms. Total rookie move by a coach, yet it happens all the time.

Emotional coaching. Kind of huge. A measured and appropriate response to your athlete goes a long way towards buy in and improvement.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 8, 2023

Rex: I don't know whether or not Gallagher (and Kharchla) are sucking too much weight but it's a reasonable explanation for the inability to hold position. Of course, it's not the only one.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 8, 2023

Rex: I loved the post.

As a coach myself, I compare my actions with what you state on this forum (when appropriate). It is nice to be corrected or confirmed. Thankfully, in this case, I am confirmed.

I often tell my kids that I losing sucks but worse than losing is lack of progress. And we make progress in the practice room. If every shot taken in a match doesn’t yield results, let’s determine why & work to fix it. (At the high school level, IMO it takes a special kid to accept that correction. College too, but even more so at the HS level.)

As for Paddy - how was that NOT called a slam!?!?!?!

Last edited by Mark Niemann on January 8, 2023; edited 1 time in total

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next