Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Paddy Gallagher
Jim Behrens added to this discussion on January 8, 2023

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

As for Paddy - how was that NOT called a slam!?!?!?!"

I don't think the NCAA allows for that call.
Kind of like they don't see an offensive man riding the hips as stalling.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 28, 2023

Very good job against Lewan.

The only match I watched twice.

Great leg attack and quick finish in the first. Again, a quick finish is worth its' weight in gold due to low energy expenditure. Highly competent attack and finish. That gets an A.

The attack is great but one dimensional. Meaning that you are going to it over and over, which becomes predictable. I know you have progressions from having watched you in high school.

Here is the dynamic.

When you are establishing yourself. You rely heavily on your go to move as it is your highest competency and comfort level.

That being said it needs a wrinkle to not be predictable. i.e elbow pass, misdirection

You drill it until you know the situations that can play out. There will only be 2-3 immediate ones.

Again, You are looking to create the reaction you want.

Levi Haines at PSU is doing a good job at this. He favors a head outside to his left (your lead leg) but also showed it to the right. He got one takedown which is the difference in the outcome against Siebrecht. Also, one thing he did that can't be understated is that he didn't allow for Siebrecht to wrestle from his positions. He has some funk, which is to his advantage. Have to be disciplined and clean against that guy.

The 15 minute break to rule a takedown was unfortunate but another lesson to learn. You can't control that stuff and acts a distraction to your focus.

Two other things: edge wrestling and being 100% when you step on the line.

Maybe, didn't have the best reaction/defense when on the edge. Always be accountable to position and fight through the situation. You could have positioned yourself better after the Granby turn in.

Overtime. Got you. He shot within seconds of the whistle in overtime, which means that you were'nt in your best stance and position. Part fatigue. Part lacking discipline.

The good is that these are correctable mistakes.

The mindset is. This is sharpening my toolkit for the post season, where I will peak. my job right now is to continue to improve by correcting mistakes, improving conditioning, and being accountable for all positions engaged.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on January 28, 2023

Yep, Paddy is definitely coming on and it's great to see. He looks like he's starting to believe he can compete with the upper tier guys.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 29, 2023

I think one thing to think about in regards to the Lewan match is that it may not be a great barometer as to where any wrestler truly is. He wrestled everyone tight. Paddy is physics and explosive with decent speed. He is not super flexible or great in scrambles, yet. I actually think his match with Saldate on Sunday may be a better indicator. Saldate is a tough out, is ranked ahead of paddy, and has had a number of pretty solid upsets this year. Gallagher wins here and he’s in business.

Doug Gainous added to this discussion on February 4, 2023

Paddy's defense seems to have a huge hole in it. When he gets taken down he looks two steps behind and inflexible.

This may be my fault, but I had way higher expectations for him. To see the gap between him and Haines widening is disappointing. I expected more of a Mendez type impact from him. I hope the staff can figure out what's up, but he looks like a guy who muscled his way through younger competition in high school and didn't have to develop all phases of his game.

He gets the chance to avenge his earlier loss to Northwestern on Sunday. Looking forward to see if he and the staff are making the adjustments to get him winning against ranked guys in the 10-25 range. The top 10 seem way out of his reach right now.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 4, 2023

Haines is a bad matchup for Paddy. And Haines has the look of a possible NCAA champ at a below avg weight class.

Gallagher is not a #1 recruit type performer although it's not his fault he got saddled with those expectations. Kaleb Romero took awhile to develop. So did Gavin Hoffman. I think he's going to figure out how to win some of the matches he's losing but I'm not sure it will happen this season.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 4, 2023

[quote="Doug Gainous"]Paddy's defense seems to have a huge hole in it. When he gets taken down he looks two steps behind and inflexible.

Doug: I was thinking this a couple of weeks ago, too. He is very talented but there is a stiffness to him when someone gets to his legs. Odd, because the Buckeyes have a lot of guys that can defend with patience and flexibility.

He is very thick but no one was bigger than Bo Jordan and he didn’t seem to have this issue.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on February 4, 2023

When Gallagher first committed to the Buckeyes, I didn't get the hype. At least from watching some of his matches. He reminded me of former Buckeyes Nemec and Sponseller. Guys who matured physically very young and dominated high school opponents with strength and pace. When they got to college, those aspects only got them so far and they had to develop technique.

I hoped that wasn't the case, but it is really looking that way now. Gallagher doesn't seem to have much diversity of offense or defense and needs to expand his game or he will keep getting passed up by guys like Haines. Getting healthy will also help. And who knows, maybe going up a weight class next year will allow him the time to focus on skills more than conditioning and weight cutting?

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 4, 2023

I agree with your points but Sponseller was a far superior wrestler to Nemec.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 5, 2023

I coached against Colt a little early in my career. I remember him being pretty technically proficient, and mechanical in how he executed his moves. Real solid hand fighter, and great when chain wrestling. The Nemec comparison I could see due to the similar build. Paddy had some very impressive wins in high school over the likes of Alex Facundo, Conner Brady, and a host of others. He’s powerful and explosive. While I don’t see him as an AA threat this year I do think his progress has stalled each of the last two seasons due to injuries. He was an overall number one by some publications, and was highly sought after by programs like Iowa. They wanted him bad. Marinelli might be a style type that is a fair comparison. Stout, explosive, stingy on defense. Maybe that’s how he can adapt. Although that’s not exactly the Ohio State coaching wheelhouse. The Bucks typically are volume shooters with a wide assortment of offensive skills and Jagger funkiness.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 5, 2023

Marinelli could also ride and was easily out on bottom. Bucks do a good job teaching offensive attacks but Iowa wrestlers tend to be better on the mat.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 5, 2023

Paddy rebounds from PSU with a win over 11th ranked Chumbley. Nice effort. Gritty win over a quality opponent. He's needed this for awhile.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 11, 2023

Objective takeaways vs Robb

First takedown by Robb within first twenty seconds.

Remedy; readiness and best position in anticipation of whistle.

Aside from first takedown; great job with hands in position and cross blocking and down blocking. No other deep shots happened.

2 stall callings in the first period. 1 point.

Edge wrestling is where the match was lost last night.

Both stall calls occurred on the edge and due to appearance.

Whether you agree or disagree with the call, The official has the last word.

If your back is to the edge, pick a side, short tie, wrist and forearm, circle in and shoot/push the other wrestler out.

Must be active there with your back to the center. It’s the edge. No mental lapses or slowed rate. Has to be excellent just like everything else.

Robb has a mirror offense. Same shot.

Robb is a high pace wrestler. He is going to attack a lot.

Paddy had multiple quality shot attempts.

Finishing from splitting the middle or while in on a leg and man is hip down are technical skills that can become high percentage with drill. Need quick recognition and execution.

So, specific work on edge wrestling and finishes from your leg attack positions provide most bang for the buck at this point in the season. Because they score or eliminate scores against.

Maybe you need to hear it; but you can beat Robb right now with a little more attention to detail. That match was yours for the taking.

But winning is always secondary to executing
the details. Winning is never a concern. It takes care of itself when you do enough things right.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 12, 2023

I became a fan of Paddy after that match. D'Emilio, too.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 13, 2023

I agree Justin. Robb is the undefeated #1 ranked 157 and Paddy gave him all he could handle. Now that he is wrestling every week his cardio also seems to be getting better. Just stay healthy!

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next