Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks look to be suffering from HEW
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 2, 2022

This concept was introduced to me on the now defunct Mat.com forum. Many of you probably have heard of it but it stands for "Had Enough Wrestling." Bucks look to me like a team with plenty of guys who still have skill but are lacking fire.

Malik (5th year Sr--never RS), Smith (6th yr senior), Sasso (5th yr junior), Kharchla (4th yr soph, Orndorff (6th yr senior) are all showing it to varying degrees. Only 6th yr Romero seems fresh. Hoffman and D'Emilio have also been at it for a long time.

Some of this could be alleviated by putting wrestlers at more sensible weights. And everything is compounded by technique issues. Their mat wrestling stinks and we are not seeing any wrinkles in what they're doing. Plus the usual crappy in match decision making (Nick Lecklider has done a nice job of pointing out today's little fiascos) continues unabated.

This year's team sure looks uninspired in spite of being top four on paper. Yes' it's early. Blah, blah, blah.

Towards the end of Joe McFarland's tenure at UM, the once proud Wolverine program had sunk to middle of the pack . Hard decisions were made, two long time coaches departed, and the program began to rise again.

Tom Ryan, if he plans to stick around, needs to talk to Joe McFarland. Because somethings wrong. And change is needed.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Don Bork added to this discussion on December 2, 2022

TOSU mat wrestling has been weak throughout Ryan’s tenure. Poor on bottom, many showing little interest in having a punishing ride and not great scramblers. Seems like dominance from the neutral position has always been stressed. Having one off season of “stressing” mat wrestling will not change 14 years of concentrating on the neutral position. It’s as though we’re training for freestyle. Folk style is what it is and not sufficiently training in two of the three positions will certainly limit the potential for success at the highest level.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on December 3, 2022

...and right on que, DD wrestles a smart tough match and beats Cole Mattin of ttun.

I don't believe it's HEW. These dudes LOVE wrestling. I believe there are some other factors hitting a few of these guys -- and a few may be struggling with ones discussed on here.

...and I agree with comments in that I would LOVE to see guys grind out top notch competition on top - even employing that horrendous ankle lock rides that PSU uses. I did puke a little in my mouth just typing this because I HATE that type of top (non)wrestling. It's a zzzzzzz fest but extremely effective.

#1 Cholton Schultz loses.

#1 Max Dean loses.

D1 wrestling is really, really hard. I lived it at a lower level D1. The level of our favorite teams is downright brutal!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 3, 2022

No highly regarded team has looked worse in the early going this season than Ohio State. Having said that...

There have been a lot of significant upsets early this season. We are seeing highly ranked guys lose to much lower ranked (unranked at times) guys.

Any thoughts as to why?

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"No highly regarded team has looked worse in the early going this season than Ohio State. Having said that...

There have been a lot of significant upsets early this season. We are seeing highly ranked guys lose to much lower ranked (unranked at times) guys.

Any thoughts as to why?"

I believe the training situations across the board — and especially at the HS level — are WAY better then ever before. So the level of the unranked guys is higher and the level of incoming freshman is WAY WAY higher than any point in history.

I think having video on everybody is playing a role also.

Don Bork added to this discussion on December 3, 2022

Buckeyes are certainly banged up, no Mendez or Gallagher coming in and Smith and Orndorff forfeiting out of the tournament. We’ve also seen the conditioning issues with Smith and Sasso. I realize all teams deal with injuries, some more so than others. Still three months till March, hopefully we can weather the storm and be ready when it counts most. Do some of our guys need to sit more/compete (weigh in) less?

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on December 3, 2022

I wouldn’t slap the HEW tag on anyone just yet. I’m out here for the tourney and certainly didn’t get that feel. Perhaps it was my attendance that resulted in the poor performance. If I don’t come next year and they win it, we’ll know why.

There are some issues with the team that need to get sorted out if they’re going to perform anywhere near expectations.

1) They’re remarkably banged up for the first week of December. I’m not going to put blame on anyone for that. It’s just the situation. This is not me reporting anything, but from my vantage point it appears: D’Emilio, Kharchla, Smith, Mendez, Orndorff, and Gallagher are all dealing with injuries of varying degrees. That’s 60% of the lineup.

2) There are a handful of guys that got way too big in the off-season and weren’t ready at the start of this year. In one case that’s been rectified (Sammy is back on track—was on a mission this weekend). You can blame lineup selection if you want but everyone knew their assignment.

On the bright side, you can’t win anything important in December. There is a lot of coaching to be done between now and Big 10s. Some of the guys could probably use a longer break. Some probably need as many matches as they can get.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on December 4, 2022

Maybe Max Dean is suffering from HEW losing his last 2 matches.

What would McFarland tell Tom?

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on December 4, 2022

Hank - I agree with you 100%. It's not that they don't like wrestling or they're sick of competing, but I believe there is a wear and tear of being in a college room for so long that can't be healthy.

The fact that some of these guys have been competing for 6 or 7 years at the D1 level is crazy.

I've said this for some time and will continue to believe it. Look at guys like Murin and Dean. Look at Marinelli last year. The examples are endless. Murin and Warner graduated HS in 2017. How many more chances do they need?

My guess is there is no greater grind on a body then a D1 wrestling room.

Also could be another reason why PSU seems fresher than other teams late in the season and late in career. Seems like they put a premium on rest/recovery and shorter practices.

I do speak from some experience, too. It was many moons ago but Luke peaked as a sophomore. By his senior season he had battled so many minor injuries his body just wasn't what it once was.

Aggregate these thoughts and I'm surprised so many coaches wanted guys around for their 6th years.

That said - Romero looks great. What an athlete.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 5, 2022

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"

What would McFarland tell Tom?"

That sometimes you have to eschew personal loyalties and make changes.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 5, 2022

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

" I do speak from some experience, too. It was many moons ago but Luke peaked as a sophomore. By his senior season he had battled so many minor injuries his body just wasn't what it once was."

What!?!?!?! Why, even now Luke is in his prime!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 5, 2022

Team Results from Vegas:
Nebraska 137.5 - - 3 - 1 1 1 1 - -
2 NC State 127.5 - - 2 - 2 - 1 - 1 1
3 South Dakota State 123 - - - 1 1 1 1 4 - -
4 Michigan 96.5 - - 1 - - 1 1 - 2 1
5 Northern Iowa 96 - - - 2 1 - 1 1 - 1
6 Arizona State 89 - - 1 2 - - - - - 2
7 Cornell 83.5 - - 2 - 1 - - - 1 -
8 Ohio State 82.5 - - 1 - - 1 1 - - 2
8 Oregon State 82.5 - - - 1 1 2 - - 1 1
10 Northwestern 81.5 - - - 1 1 - 2 - - 1

Matt Mace added to this discussion on December 5, 2022

I have to believe the staff is still considering redshirting Mendez. Reasonable expectations for this team are a few AAs. That doesn't change with Jesse in the lineup. No chance at a team podium this year.

Remember, NCAA rule change allows for freshman to compete up to 5 dates (not matches) and maintain their redshirt. Jesse has competed in the MSU Open, Virginia Tech, Columbia and UNC. He has 1 date left.

Penn St would be fun!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 5, 2022

Quote from Matt Mace's post:

"I have to believe the staff is still considering redshirting Mendez. Reasonable expectations for this team are a few AAs. That doesn't change with Jesse in the lineup. No chance at a team podium this year.

Remember, NCAA rule change allows for freshman to compete up to 5 dates (not matches) and maintain their redshirt. Jesse has competed in the MSU Open, Virginia Tech, Columbia and UNC. He has 1 date left.

Penn St would be fun!"

If Mendez wrestled UNATTACHED (no clue if he did or did not), would it count against him?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next