Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Credit Where Due
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 12, 2022

I don't think the Bucks staff has done a good job this season and I've voiced my opinion that a shakeup is needed.

But Hepner over AA Amine and Shumate over former AA Poznanski are some nice results. Maybe the Bucks should just flip the lineup?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Don Bork added to this discussion on December 12, 2022

“The Plan” for this year certainly has not played out as the staff probably anticipated. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall as to any discussion that could be taking place. Shumate’s win won’t change things for this year as Romero is solid. But where are Karchla and Smith at with their weight and health? I will say that Ethan looked more like the Ethan of the last two years during the Kent State match, nonstop attacks offensively, converting and staying strong to the end. Of course the level of the opponent was not high. My guess is that unless there is something very serious going on, the plan does not change.

Don Bork added to this discussion on December 12, 2022

Also congratulations to the staff on adding Ryder Rogotzke to the 2023 class. Seems to be another quality addition to the team.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 13, 2022

Quote from Don Bork's post:

"Also congratulations to the staff on adding Ryder Rogotzke to the 2023 class. Seems to be another quality addition to the team."

Anthony Ralph continues to do a great job.

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on December 13, 2022

Quote from Don Bork's post:

"Also congratulations to the staff on adding Ryder Rogotzke to the 2023 class. Seems to be another quality addition to the team."

Great addition for sure, and they are certainly in the business of getting all of the best guys.

How does he compare with skill and predicted weight class along with

Shumate
Geogg
Hepner
Feldman
Welsh

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 13, 2022

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

" Anthony Ralph continues to do a great job."

then is the corralary of that, someone must be doing a poor job ???

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

" Anthony Ralph continues to do a great job."

then is the corralary of that, someone must be doing a poor job ???"

Biting my tongue....

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 13, 2022

were i to have a chance to speak with coach RYAN over a beer (Great Lakes Christmas Ale of course) i think he would tell me something like this imagined Q & A:

Q... Tom, stardom was expected for Gallagher and Karchla, both disappointing so far. Can either step it up or are they just misses like Heinselman and Decatur and Rocky (who is winning now at 174 i see)

A... We knew Rocky would win at 174. Plus he's a man on a mission. Doesn't want to be only Jordan to not place. We had Romero there at 174 for a few years. We wanted Rocky to stay and challenge Ethan at 174, but he wanted to make sure he started his last year. So we found a good home for him. He's tough at 174. Easy cut for him.

Carson has been hurt most of his time here. Coming off ACL tear and now another injury. Same with Paddy. Got to stay healthy to progress.

Each wrestler has to make the choice to be a bully. To constantly disrupt their opponents movements.

Plenty of #1 recruits at PSU Have not progressed for one reason or another. Beard left and beat Dean who he lost to under Cael. Teske left and got better. Lees brother (Joe) was #1 recruit and never improved.

Sometimes it's a change of scenery. Sometimes it's a relationship. Sometimes it's injury. All sorts of reasons effect a man's growth and performance.

(thanx to #bookemdano for private back story info. Sent me 4 bottles homemade schliebovitz from Vegas for Christmas. ... Barkeep, now i want a Reuben with plenty of sauerkraut and another ale before i head home)

Bob: Excellent. I could hear Coach Ryan speaking as I read your words.

Doug Gainous added to this discussion on December 13, 2022

I don't know Bob? Sure, PSU has missed on a few but OSU has way more misses.

Who does more with what they have?

Buckeyes best day is national signing day. Penn St best day is at National Championships.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 14, 2022

another "imagined" aside, the guy near me at the bar looked over to me and said "Hmm. What do I sense regarding Buckeye wrestling? That early season injuries caught them in Vegas. That Kharchla will never win an NCAA title. That Ohio State needs this redshirt freshman heavyweight Feldman. Orndorff won't AA again.

That Hoffman sure got a lucky draw at the NCAAs and won't AA again. Heinselman is a Round of 12 guy at best. Romero could place 3-4. Mendez could AA, but not top 4. He was a no-show at Vegas, as was Gallagher. Sasso might make finals. he needs offense, which he showed a bit more in Vegas, but still, he won title bout against a BIG Parco relying on his defense and sit-on-the-butt work after guys got in on his legs. That won't beat Yianni.

Buckeyes seem to have slipped a notch, and I don't know if thats permanent, or a phase (says the barstool guy). They were second in Vegas the past two years, but were far far away this year.

(Dano says to me that this is all imagined, just fodder for discussion. Tom Ryan has a record at ohio st the envy of any coach but one. And hes a great guy. And his wrestlers for most part are first rate citizens.)

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 14, 2022

Is Karchla considered a "miss"...He was a freshman All American and is a top 10 ranked sophomore?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 14, 2022

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Is Karchla considered a "miss"...He was a freshman All American and is a top 10 ranked sophomore?"

I think the moment he moves up a weight class and is healthy, he'll be like a new man.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 14, 2022

I totally agree, but if he's had nagging injuries and he's cutting too much weight and he was still a freshman All American, I don't see how that adds up to him being a disappointment? I get how the jury's still out on Gallagher (kinda), but not Karchla.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 14, 2022

how many years has Karchla been on campus? Four. Expectations can be a beech. Out of hs a well known national ranker i know wanted to designate him the best lb-for-lber, the #1 senior high schooler .....its all about the burden of expectations.

And Dano tells me, "165/174 this year Carson/Smith. Next year Hepner/Carson. And ohio st will have Rocco, Ryder Rogotzke, Birden, Shumate and Geog in the room. Along with DAVINO (they hope), Kilkeary, Bouzakis, Mendez, Herman and Gallagher, Feldman. ..

ohio st never had more talent, according to Vegas' premier Elvis impersonator #bookemdano (available by appt for private counciltation on love, life, wrestling)

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next