Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks/Indiana
Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 4, 2023

Interesting lineup shown for Friday night Big Ten Network broadcast. At 125 McCrone or Gonzales, 133 Bouzakis or Mendez, 157 Gallagher, 165 Wilcox, 197 Geog. Looking forward to see Geog match. Should be a strong showing for the Bucs as Indiana has only one ranked wrestler.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 4, 2023

Does that mean Geog is having his redshirt pulled? Competing after Christmas?

Jeff Mowrer added to this discussion on January 5, 2023

No, this counts as one of his 5 events. Freshman can now wrestle unattached after the first semester though and not burn one of their events.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on January 5, 2023

Any updates on Kharchla?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 5, 2023

Quote from Jeff Mowrer's post:

"No, this counts as one of his 5 events. Freshman can now wrestle unattached after the first semester though and not burn one of their events."

I misunderstood the rule. I thought those 5 events had to be in the 1st semester. Glad the rule is in place now. There shouldn't really every be forfeits anymore (outside of a multiple dual road trip and an injury happens).

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 6, 2023

This was taken from Flo article previewing PSU vs Wisconsin dual when discussing what PSU will do at 157.

Since it is no longer the first semester, once Haines wrestles, he no longer has the ability to defer eligibility, so I suspect we'll see Barraclough out there

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on January 6, 2023

Maybe Haines wrestled 5 times in the first semester.

True freshman get to wrestle in 5 events, unattached. However, any time they wrestle in the first semester, it HAS to be unattached. They can wrestle in the second semester unattached, and that would NOT count against their 5 events.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 6, 2023

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"Maybe Haines wrestled 5 times in the first semester.

True freshman get to wrestle in 5 events, unattached. However, any time they wrestle in the first semester, it HAS to be unattached. They can wrestle in the second semester unattached, and that would NOT count against their 5 events."

I’m not sure Flo knows the rule because in an interview with Cael he said Haines only wrestled in 3 events and sounded like he could wrestle 2 more.

Don Bork added to this discussion on January 6, 2023

On another site it was posted that Geog had suffered a sprained ankle this week and would not be wrestling. I can’t vouch for the accuracy of that post, but, if true, it is disappointing. I was looking forward to seeing him.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on January 6, 2023

The Dublin Coffman Twitter account posted a good luck message to Seth Shumate, so maybe he's wrestling.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 7, 2023

Last nights dual appeared to be a continuation of what we’ve seen thus far in this injury plagued season. Moving forward we will probably get more of the Sasso, Smith, and Romero show with a collection of varying lineup shuffles. The luxury of depth and the new freshman rule allows the coaching staff to sit guys as they recover. Last night we had no Heinsleman, Kharchla, or Hoffman. The good news is they discussed Kharchla’s injury as not being season ending. I was a little surprised we saw Mcrone over Gonsalez. I would think Andre is likely the starter next year even with Kilkeary coming in. Perhaps he was out for some undisclosed reason as well. Mcrone has some nice size/length, and appears to be solid on top. Lots of room to grow in the neutral position in his loss. Good to see Mendes back firing on all cylinders. D’Emilio gets the major, but still seems to lack some of that same pace we saw last year. Coming off his injury that might just be him coming into form. Sasso did Sammy type things. Paddy, sporting a sizable knee brace, came out strong, but his six week layoff showed in his loss to a ranked opponent. He’s going to need some time. Wilcox edges out his opponent. I’m assuming since Kharchla isn’t done for the year that Heopner will remain in RS, so we will get heavy doses of Isaac until then. Smith wrestled solid against Indiana’s best guy, and Kaleb manhandled his opponent. I think Romero is probably your mid year MVP for his consistency and overall performance. The telecast mentioned that Hoffman was beat up and that Geog was supposed to go but as mentioned above his sustained a practice injury this week. Shumate, coming off a tournament victory that included a win over a former AA at 184, looked pretty undersized vs his opponent. It was a competitive match until the 3rd period when he gave up a take down and backs. He was in on low shots twice but couldn’t overcome the size of the Indiana kid. Then we get to Tate. If I’m being honest, Tate looked tired. He looks like he gained back all the extra weight that he shed last year, and it shows in how slow he moves. Frankly, he looks like a guy the coaching staff had to talk into sticking around another year, if I’m being honest. You can hear Jaggers yelling in the background about urgency. No one expects him to challenge for a title, or put up gaudy scores, but this isn’t the best version of Orndorf we’ve seen.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 7, 2023

All things considered, I thought the Bucks looked pretty good until 285. That was a fiasco.

McCrone got reversed throwing in a leg with no setup and it cost him the match. Not the first time I've mentioned he's sloppy and I'm sure the staff knows. Still, it happened. I do like McCrone. He's got a bit of Ethan Lizak and Johnni DiJulius in there. Staff needs to develop him. He has size which they need at 125. I think he's at least as talented as Kilkeary. Add in Gonzalez and there's some comp next season for the spot.

Mendes looked tremendous. Constantly attacking and pressure on top.

The opponent was Indiana and they're not very good. But I also thought the Bucks looked as if they'd cleaned up a few things in this dual. Wishful thinking? We'll see.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 8, 2023

Very good performance overall.

Kudos to Mendez and Sasso, you guys were Rock Stars!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 10, 2023

For what it's worth, 125 Gonzales took a second at the Edinboro Open getting beat by Okla. #11 Joey Prata 6-2. Why a kid from Oklahoma came all the way to Pa. to wrestle in an open I have no idea?? Hepner, Bouzakis and Feldman were not entered.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 10, 2023

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"For what it's worth, 125 Gonzales took a second at the Edinboro Open getting beat by Okla. #11 Joey Prata 6-2. Why a kid from Oklahoma came all the way to Pa. to wrestle in an open I have no idea?? Hepner, Bouzakis and Feldman were not entered."

Oklahoma wrestled a dual at Edinboro Saturday.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next