Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio states future
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 3, 2023

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"If you ever want a history lesson or to gain some perspective or to have a good laugh, go back into the archives of this site or yappi or wherever you get your wrestling fix (I don’t think theMat.com has an archive anymore), and read what people said when Taylor and Ruth graduated. Read what they said when Nolf and Nickal graduated. These EXACT things were said. Until someone dethrones them, and then stands at the top looking down for a few years, it’s Penn State."

100% accurate.

Incidentally, InterMat now has a forum that's basically the new mat.com"

Like I’ve said Haines is the real deal and in the mold of Taylor, Nolf and others but Beau, SVN and Facudo are not at least at this point. Not having multiple bonus guys in a lineup makes them a little vulnerable.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Don Bork added to this discussion on February 3, 2023

Rose colored glasses.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 3, 2023

Reminder than I can’t stand Max Dean.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 3, 2023

This ref absolutely blows.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on February 5, 2023

Geog impressed me and I think is already ahead of Hoffman at this point. The kid he beat pretty easily today was a 6th year senior national qualifier. I think he is going to have a kollin Moore sort of career.

Geog, Mendes, and Feldman I see as four time all Americans. Bouzakis could also but need to see a little more out of him. Not completely sold on him yet.

Then Ohio state killed it on the recruiting trail this class. 174 nailed the top prospect in the nation in Rocco welsh. 184 flipped a big time commitment at the last second in Rogotozke who is an absolute highlight real and pinning machine. Then you got two top 50 sort of guys to go after 149 in herman and cannon. 125 is probably what I’m most worried about as kilkearys results are all over the place. Lilledahl is the prized recruit Ohio state needs to snag. If we land him I don’t see any holes in the future lineup.

Paddy is very close also. I don’t see him being an all America this year but I can see 2-3 Aas from him. He is right there. I think I like his chances more Than Hoffman’s this year honestly.

Penn state does not have much depth either looking at their lineups. I have no idea who is going to be 125, 133, and 197 next year. Howard is always hurt. Doubt he stays healthy through a big ten season. Mason Gibson and betancourt? That’s not scaring anyone. Gibson lost to kilkeary this year and I’m not high on him. 197 maybe bump up brooks and insert Barr probably. Penn state has all their big Guns wrestling they have no one in redshirt.

Ohio state is going to close the gap significantly and I’m still sticking to should be favored in two years as of now unless some kind of huge transfer portal type thing happens. We have guys like hepner, Decatur, Feldman, Geog, Feldman, shumate, bouzakis on the bench. Penn state has no one really on the bench in waiting.

Projected 2024-2025 lineup
125. Kilkeary/lilledahl/ transfer portal
133. Bouzakis
141. Mendes
149. Herman/cannon/demilio/ transfer
157. Paddy
165. Hepner/kharchla
174. Rocco welsh
184. Rogotozke
197. Geog
285. Feldman

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on February 5, 2023

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Geog impressed me and I think is already ahead of Hoffman at this point. The kid he beat pretty easily today was a 6th year senior national qualifier. I think he is going to have a kollin Moore sort of career.

Geog, Mendes, and Feldman I see as four time all Americans. Bouzakis could also but need to see a little more out of him. Not completely sold on him yet.

Then Ohio state killed it on the recruiting trail this class. 174 nailed the top prospect in the nation in Rocco welsh. 184 flipped a big time commitment at the last second in Rogotozke who is an absolute highlight real and pinning machine. Then you got two top 50 sort of guys to go after 149 in herman and cannon. 125 is probably what I’m most worried about as kilkearys results are all over the place. Lilledahl is the prized recruit Ohio state needs to snag. If we land him I don’t see any holes in the future lineup.

Paddy is very close also. I don’t see him being an all America this year but I can see 2-3 Aas from him. He is right there. I think I like his chances more Than Hoffman’s this year honestly.

Penn state does not have much depth either looking at their lineups. I have no idea who is going to be 125, 133, and 197 next year. Howard is always hurt. Doubt he stays healthy through a big ten season. Mason Gibson and betancourt? That’s not scaring anyone. Gibson lost to kilkeary this year and I’m not high on him. 197 maybe bump up brooks and insert Barr probably. Penn state has all their big Guns wrestling they have no one in redshirt.

Ohio state is going to close the gap significantly and I’m still sticking to should be favored in two years as of now unless some kind of huge transfer portal type thing happens. We have guys like hepner, Decatur, Feldman, Geog, Feldman, shumate, bouzakis on the bench. Penn state has no one really on the bench in waiting.

133. Bouzakis
141. Mendes
157. Paddy
165. Hepner/kharchla
174. Rocco welsh
184. Rogotozke
197. Geog
285. Feldman"

I think Birden deserves some love on here too. He’s having a great season and only lost to Joey Blaze by 1 in last years state finals- He was only a Soph.

I think Betencourt transferred out of Penn st

Yes need a 125

Also, Jax Forrest a freshman (in high school) won the 125 Edinboro open title today. He majored Andres Gonzalez and pinned McCrone in under a minute. Also don’t think Gavin Brown placed at 149. Misita took 2nd at 285.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on February 5, 2023

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Geog impressed me and I think is already ahead of Hoffman at this point. The kid he beat pretty easily today was a 6th year senior national qualifier. I think he is going to have a kollin Moore sort of career.

133. Bouzakis
141. Mendes
157. Paddy
165. Hepner/kharchla
174. Rocco welsh
184. Rogotozke
197. Geog
285. Feldman"

I think Birden deserves some love on here too. He’s having a great season and only lost to Joey Blaze by 1 in last years state finals- He was only a Soph.

I think Betencourt transferred out of Penn st

Yes need a 125

Also, Jax Forrest a freshman (in high school) won the 125 Edinboro open title today. He majored Andres Gonzalez and pinned McCrone in under a minute. Also don’t think Gavin Brown placed at 149. Misita took 2nd at 285."

I don’t think betancourt transferred out. What I heard is Ohio state did not release him so he was ineligible to compete this year.

I wasn’t leaving Birden out. He is still a junior and I am guessing he will redshirt that year then compete when kharchla and hepner are gone at 165.

Jax Forrest is probably the best freshman I have seen in a very very long time. Lilledahl is neck and neck with him also. He has to be the number one priority as of now on the recruiting trail. He is a difference maker.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 5, 2023

Nick: You forget about the fact that wrestlers can now transfer with impunity. Just step into the portal. NIL money awaits. And who has NIL money? Penn state, Iowa...and Michigan (apparently)...just to name the most obvious ones.

My point is that even if you're correct technically about where Ohio State stands with regard to Penn State in terms of future recruits, PSU has a wider net to cast.

I do think Ohio State has recruited very well over the last several years.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 5, 2023

No way Kharchla and Gallagher stay at 165 and 157, respectively.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 6, 2023

#PizzaHut

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 7, 2023

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"No way Kharchla and Gallagher stay at 165 and 157, respectively."

Correct.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on February 7, 2023

That is probably a strong possibility paddy and Carson move up next years.
157 becomes a hole then that needs recruited. Sasso can man for one year
165. Paddy/hepner
174. Welsh/Carson/hepner

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 7, 2023

FWIW--Brendan McCrone finished runnerup at the Edinboro Open this weekend. Yes...he got smacked in the finals by the phenom jax forrest. Still, every single time he takes the mat, the results are excellent as a redshirt. He is exceeding expectations from my perspective.

He still throws in a leg without setting it up. Can someone slap him in the head everytime he does it because you're never going to win in a dual against Iowa making that type of technique mistake.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on February 7, 2023

McCrone isn’t ready, evidenced by the Maryland match, but there’s something there. I hope the staff invests time into his development and patiently awaits the returns.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 7, 2023

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"McCrone isn’t ready, evidenced by the Maryland match, but there’s something there. I hope the staff invests time into his development and patiently awaits the returns."

Agree.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next