Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio states future
Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on February 14, 2023

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2490361404466263

We can hope! Bo Bassett in a Buckeye sweatshirt :).

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on February 14, 2023

I know i'm wrong often, but I'd be shocked if Bo doesn't end up at Penn St. Unfortunately I have to say the same for Jax Forrest.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 14, 2023

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"I know i'm wrong often, but I'd be shocked if Bo doesn't end up at Penn St. Unfortunately I have to say the same for Jax Forrest."

Tom Ryan is grabbing his share of PA studs. And PSU isn't getting everyone they want at the moment. Too bad Ohio isn't producing as many high level prospects as we used to.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 14, 2023

"I know i'm wrong often, but I'd be shocked if Bo doesn't end up at Penn St. Unfortunately I have to say the same for Jax Forrest."

I’ve heard Iowa has a chance with Bo due to Spencer Lee.

Jax Forest is originally from NC and moved to PA for wrestling but I don’t think he ends up at PSU. Just a gut feeling.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 4, 2023

"Matchup of the Century" in the state finals in MN featuring Buckeye commit Rogotzke vs Gopher commit McEnelly. Rogotzke was #1 at 182 bumps up to take on 3x State Champ. He bumped up in a dual and lost 5-3 then announced he was bumping up to try and beat him at the state tournament.

Well, he just lost 3-2. Kid is gonna be really really tough for the Buckeyes. I can see him taking over for Kaleb next year.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 5, 2023

Rogotzke strikes me as a project. Talented but he's going to need to hone his craft. I don't think he's ready to step into the lineup and be successful as a true frosh.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 5, 2023

I sat for two days at the Darby district. I know central Ohio has not historically been the hotbed of Ohio talent that NE Ohio and Graham have been but there are definitely glimpses of excellence emerging. Nebraska sneaks into OSU’s blackyard and plucks a very solid Teays Valley kid at 195, and then I believe has picked up a verbal from Ayoub out of Coffman. Additionally, Penn has received a verbal from potential 4x champ Ty Wilson. Rosselli managed to cherry pick some kids as well. His boy is poised to win a title this year at 113 as well, btw.
With all that being said, OSU getting in on Birden was a gem of a recruiting job. That kid is, and will be, on a different level. If you haven’t watched him you should. His technique, speed, and chain wrestling are impressive to watch. Great get for the Bucks, and he has another year.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 5, 2023

I don't think coaching is really the main problem. I think it's been more injuries and recruiting. The failure of the 2018 and 2019 classes have killed them.

2018 - Heinselman (40) Mattox (18) Hoffman (14) Sasso (12) Jordan (36) Kinner (32)
2019 - Kerkvliet (1), Kharchla (3), Decatur (6), E'Emilio (18)

That's 10 top 40 recruits and the only ones to hit so far have been Sasso and possibly Kharchla.

4 left the program.

That's 2 huge, top ranked classes that haven't panned out and have set them back at least 2-3 years.

They didn't really have anyone in the 2020 class that I could find (because of the huge 18-19 classes) and so far Paddy has not panned out from 21.

If their 22 and 23 classes end up like 18-19, it'll be another few years of middle of the pack.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 5, 2023

I think in the next 2 or 3 years we will appreciate what Heinselman did at 125, he may never have gotten to the top level, but he was always competitive and won more times than he lost, much like D'Emilio. I have followed the Bucs since 1993 and they had many years when they put a kid on the mat at 125 that was not competitive, a sacrificial lamb that had zero chance of even keeping the match close.

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"I don't think coaching is really the main problem. I think it's been more injuries and recruiting. The failure of the 2018 and 2019 classes have killed them.

2018 - Heinselman (40) Mattox (18) Hoffman (14) Sasso (12) Jordan (36) Kinner (32)
2019 - Kerkvliet (1), Kharchla (3), Decatur (6), E'Emilio (18)

That's 10 top 40 recruits and the only ones to hit so far have been Sasso and possibly Kharchla.

4 left the program.

That's 2 huge, top ranked classes that haven't panned out and have set them back at least 2-3 years.

They didn't really have anyone in the 2020 class that I could find (because of the huge 18-19 classes) and so far Paddy has not panned out from 21.

If their 22 and 23 classes end up like 18-19, it'll be another few years of middle of the pack."

That's an excellent synopsis. But it doesn't discount coaching as a reason some of these guys didn't progress as expected. Sort of a chicken/egg thing.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on March 5, 2023

Gallagher drops a 3-2 decision to Model from Wisconsin, not even close to getting a td against a guy not very good.

Confidence in Gallagher extremely low right now.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 5, 2023

"Gallagher drops a 3-2 decision to Model from Wisconsin, not even close to getting a td against a guy not very good.

Confidence in Gallagher extremely low right now."

He was in on two good shots and failed to finish either of them. Really disappointing results this weekend at 157.

"Gallagher drops a 3-2 decision to Model from Wisconsin, not even close to getting a td against a guy not very good.

Lanky wrestlers give him fits. He has to learn techniques for dealing with them. It starts with ways to finish against them quickly and effectively.

I'd love for him to spend the offseason having someone with fresh eyes look at his tape and work with him on strategies.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 5, 2023

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"I think in the next 2 or 3 years we will appreciate what Heinselman did at 125, he may never have gotten to the top level, but he was always competitive and won more times than he lost, much like D'Emilio. I have followed the Bucs since 1993 and they had many years when they put a kid on the mat at 125 that was not competitive, a sacrificial lamb that had zero chance of even keeping the match close."

I agree, but based on his ranking I'd say he fell below expectations. I know rankings aren't everything, but tOSU thought he was good enough. I think 125 is the hardest weight to recruit. D'Emilio competes hard too and that's admirable, but you want your top recruits to be more than just competitive. You can't have the bulk of your scholly $ tied up in guys who are just competitive. I don't mean to say each individual is a failure, that's not true, wrestling is hard and I have respect for anyone at any level who does it. But from a program perspective, these 2 classes have certainly not propelled the program where most thought they would.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on March 5, 2023

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Lanky wrestlers give him fits. He has to learn techniques for dealing with them. It starts with ways to finish against them quickly and effectively.

I'd love for him to spend the offseason having someone with fresh eyes look at his tape and work with him on strategies."

Well if it’s lanky guys he certainly needs to adapt soon and isn’t good because, pretty sure he’s shorter than most at the weight. Would be an even bigger disparity if he were to ever move up to 165.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next