Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Penn state vs Ohio state 2/3
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on February 1, 2023

I don’t have time to do a detailed breakdown but just wanted to get a thread going
125- Malik majors 4-0
133- rby dec 4-3
141-Bartlett dec 4-6. Demilio can win this tho as he has beat him a couple times before. Just with I could trust him more
149- sasso dec 7-6
157-Haines dec 7-9 again this is winnable. Gallagher is close to putting it all together
165- kharchla dec 10-9
174- starroci dec 10-12
184- brooks dec 10-15
197-dean dec 10-18
285-kerkvliet maj 10-22

We can win 141 and 157 tho. Paddy was close to beating him last year. Demilio beat Bartlett in freestyle last summer also. If we got both toss ups this could be a very close dual. Or throw in a Mendes win and shock the world!!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 1, 2023

Nick: I think you're on target. But the history of this dual is littered with upsets by PSU over favored Buckeye opponents. In other words, the Bucks usually do worse than expected.

Hope Bucks can surprise a bit.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 3, 2023

Dean won state as a senior in Michigan in 2016.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 3, 2023

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Dean won state as a senior in Michigan in 2016."

Most of the PSU guys are likable but agree Dean is a D bag

Jeremy Park added to this discussion on February 3, 2023

Anyone know what happened to Romero’s finger? Announcer seemed to make a deal out of it. I didn’t catch it.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 3, 2023

Quote from Jeremy Park's post:

"Anyone know what happened to Romero’s finger? Announcer seemed to make a deal out of it. I didn’t catch it."

I think it got caught in the mat and dislocated it

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on February 3, 2023

I think he caught it in Brook’s headgear

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 4, 2023

Well…I think you could say that was about as predictable as it gets. There were no super surprising results, and I’m not sure that you see any of the Bucks change a result from last night until NCAAs. I would say that Romero wrestled his match much closer than previous outings. Paddy lost by a small margin to his guy last year, and Haines has improved. Paddy doesn’t appear to have the offensive skills to score against top ten guys. I’m also not in the camp of thinking that Kharchla is likely to AA again this year. Whether it’s injury related or coaches just figured out how to wrestle him, he doesn’t have the same offensive pop that he had last year.

Jeff Reid added to this discussion on February 4, 2023

Someone said it earlier, but it looks like Kharchla has had enough wrestling (HEW). I had really high hopes for him at the beginning of his career.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 4, 2023

Smith and Romero were bright spots as far as wrestling better matches against guys that have beaten them badly in the past. Kudos to both of them.

I also think Sasso did a nice job to avoid the upset. Van Ness was ready for a few of Sasso's best moves and got the early takedown. Sam stayed calm, took charge, found Van Ness's vulnerability and took advantage. That was a good effort on his part. And where were the back points on the cradle?

Kharchla is predictable. All his attacks are to his opponent's right leg and quality opponents are prepared for it. He never attacks the other side. Without some diversification, he's a round of 16 guy. The knee issue doesn't help.

Levi Haines reminds me of every PSU wrestler who's come out of nowhere to win an NCAA title. Looking at the 157 field, there is no doubt in my mind he'll be ready to win it by tourney time. He can take out anyone at the weight and will be prepared to do so.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 4, 2023

Quote from Jeff Reid's post:

"Someone said it earlier, but it looks like Kharchla has had enough wrestling (HEW). I had really high hopes for him at the beginning of his career."

Was the call against Carson a good/bad call? I couldn’t tell from where I was sitting.

People next to us claimed to know Carson pretty well and said he is dealing with an injury and won’t be the same. He definitely looked hesitant but Facudo didn’t do anything either.

I think Dylan could beat Beau if he wrestles the entire match like he did in the 3rd with more energy.

They got their asses kicked by a better team. No time to lick the wounds they have Northwestern and Nebraska next.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on February 4, 2023

well at least we can say Ethan got the first takedown on Carter this entire season. I do think Kaleb can beat Brooks but he has to be healthy. It seemed to me on the takedown on the edge that Kaleb was in position to fight it off but seemed to suddenly be in pain and just gave up his other leg. Did anyone else see that?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 4, 2023

One thing ran through my mind last night, what would PSU have looked like if Spencer Lee had stayed in Pa. and gone to Penn State?
BTW, Romero-Brooks matches remind me of Romero-Labriola matches at 174, one TD is going to be the difference in the match. And I think Kaleb has the tools to beat him.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 4, 2023

This was one of those matches where I think the team score was far worse than the competitiveness of the matches. The Buckeyes have lost by similar scores before and looked awful.

The only real disappointments to me were Paddy and Gavin. When Malik stuck Steen I thought it would be a big night. I thought Dylan would beat Bartlett but he is right there.

One last disappointment: the crowd. It was full. I was there and expected more noise more often. I remember far more noise against TSUN last year.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on February 4, 2023

I enjoyed watching this match via the Big Ten network. Although Jim Gibbons gets kidded for using his stock phrases, he does make a lot of useful comments about wrestling technique.

Many of the matches were quite competitive. Even though the score wasn't close in the RBY-Mendez match, RBY was only able to get takedowns using crisp, elite level technique. He took Mendez very seriously.

Starocci had a 59 to 0 ratio in takedowns until Ethan Smith took him down for the first time this season. Ethan also escaped 3 times, which is very difficult against Starocci. I think Ethan's conditioning is still a little behind at this point in time, probably due his recent injury.

Kaleb Romero wrestled a great match against Brooks. Looking forward to future potential battles at Big Tens and NCAA's.

Coach Ryan threw the challenge brick again needlessly and hence didn't have it available to challenge the takedown on Hoffman at the end of the first period.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next