Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio state NCAA predictions
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on February 17, 2023

125-Malik I think gets close this year but always disappoints at ncaas. I feel like he will be round 12 and be just a match short. Just doesn’t have the horsepower when the big 125 pounders can use the size advantage of more than one hour recovery time in duals.

133-Mendes isn’t getting 1 or 2 but the rest of the top ten is so close can finish anywhere after that. I’ll play it in the middle and say 5th place.

141- demilio may not have the best record at 12-9 but 8 of his losses have been within 2 points and four have lost in overtime. I feel he is very close to figuring it out in a wide open weight and is looking better each week. Just needs to figure out how to finish matches. I am giving a bold prediction and he will be the Hoffman of last year and finish 8th.

149- sasso isn’t going to have the letdown of last year. I think he avenges his many losses to Gomez. He should have beat him a couple times at least. He will get stronger as the tournament goes on also. Much better tourney wrestler than dual. Yianni actually looks beatable this year also. My prediction 2nd

157-other than Levi Haines absolutely destroying him I think he has been improving throughout the season also. I think he is looking healthier and his gas tank is getting better. I think he peaks in march and makes it to bloodround

165- I think they are just saving him for the postseason. I would love to see him against Ramirez and see what he does but scared the staff is saving him. His knee has severely hampered his career but still feel like he gets a low all American. I’ll call it 7th

174-Ethan smith has lost to top 4 guys in the weight and think he beats everyone else. 5th place

184- Romero can’t beat top three but is in the next tier which I think he is the best. 4th place

197-Hoffman has had a disappointing year after a 6th place finish. Won’t repeat that, seeing him as 2-2 at ncaas.

285- Tate another disappointing year but always turns in out in march. For that reason alone I am giving him a bloodround finish. He surprises me every year. Knows when to peak

So 6 all Americans with a couple bloodrounds. I have to be being way too optimistic lol. Tell me where I’m wrong. Just wanted to get the thread started.

Team finish 4th

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Alex Creech added to this discussion on February 17, 2023

I don't think it's unreasonable, probably closer to their ceiling. I'm going to revise these after big tens.

125 - R12
133 - 7
141 - 2-2
149 - 3
157 - R12
165 - R12
174 - 5
184 - 4 (if finger limits him, R12)
197 - R12
285 - 2-2

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 18, 2023

I think Alex’s projections are probably right on the money. It’s important to objectively look at what the Bucks have done collectively and not jump two feet in on the overly optimistic end of things.

125: Malik has looked very solid on his feet. He has started to ride a little tougher and has actually turned some guys this year. Bottom hasn’t looked as much of a liability but he hasn’t wrestled the top guys. No real notable wins outside of Unger. He does better on one hour weigh ins when the bigger guys have less recovery. I’m a two day tournament he’s at a disadvantage. His ability to AA will be completely draw dependent. There are 6/7 Big Ten guys that can beat him.

133: agree that Mendes on the right weekend is a top five guy. He’s gotten his hands on two of the big three. I think he can avenge his loss to Latona. Stringing together big wins in a row at NCAAs will be the key.

141: He started out the year ranked in the top 8 and due to injury has been working back all year. As wide open as 141 is anything is possible, and Dylan’s leg attacks and motor should keep him in matches. I just don’t see any substantial victories this year..yet.. that should lead us to believe he is an AA candidate. If we are going to be shocked by someone on this team I would think this is the weight to do it.

149: If Gomez is legitimately injured or limited I think Sammy is wrestling well enough to make the finals. He can ugly up a match like no one else in the NCAA. Can he stop Yanni, he would have to catch him on his back somehow.

157: Like 141, this weight is one in which we need Paddy to outperform expectations. Unlike 141, at least he has a top 11 victory. His losses against Michigan and Nebraska said a lot about how close he is, but I think in tight matches he will struggle to score. Paddy is a wildcard for the Bucks.

165: A 100% healthy Kharchla is a high probability to AA. He’s not that, and even prior to his injury Carson’s offense seemed more limited this year than last. In this weight at less than full stength I thinks it’s a tall order to AA.

174/184: outside of Sammy these two weights are the highest probability to AA. Romero was the most consistent performer all year. Not sure how his recent injuries affect that trajectory. On a hot weekend he could squeak into the finals. I don’t see Ethan cracking the top three.

197: last year seems like a bit of an aberration. The odd thing is Gavin’s offense looks much more formidable this year. His movement and timing are impressive and it’s evident that he’s been working with more a lot with his misdirections.

285: no real expectations here . Tate looks the most limited he has looked since he arrived.

The high end for this team is a trophy placement. 4th. The reality is the season has not panned out as expected for half the lineup. A bad tournament puts the Bucks outside of the top ten for the second season. Without finalist it’s difficult to compete for a team trophy, and in some cases you need two. PSU is a runaway favorite. Iowa is likely to have two finalist and a host of AAs. Missouri could easily push into the top five and Nebraska could be the ultimate feast or famine. Cornell could also launch past the bucks on the strength of Yanni, Vito, and three to four others. Ohio State needs Sasso to make the finals and top six finishes out of Mendes, Romero, and Smith. At least two of Malik, D’Emilio, Paddy, Carson, or Hoffman need to a lot in somewhere.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 19, 2023

I know Gomez (Wisc) injured his knee on Jan. 27 and hasn't wrestled since, but he will have 5 weeks to heal/recover. I saw the match and he took injury time and tried to finish the match but couldn't put any weight on it and hopped off the mat, so he is a question mark at this point.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on March 7, 2023

I have no idea why so many people think paddy isn’t making the tournament. I give him 90 percent chance

What does Gomez get seeded. He may be a landline at ncaas.

Ohio state qualifies 9. ????

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on March 7, 2023

I have no idea why so many people think paddy isn’t making the tournament. I give him 90 percent chance

What does Gomez get seeded. He may be a landline at ncaas.

Ohio state qualifies 9. Lock it in

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 7, 2023

Paddy might get in. I’d like to see him get in if for no other reason than to get a couple more matches.

I’m not sure Gomez gets in. He could hardly walk this past weekend. The latest InterMat rankings with him at 11 were extremely generous.

Last edited by Mark Cummings on March 7, 2023; edited 1 time in total

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 7, 2023

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"I don't think it's unreasonable, probably closer to their ceiling. I'm going to revise these after big tens.

125 - R12
133 - 7
141 - 2-2
149 - 3
157 - R12
165 - R12
174 - 5
197 - R12
285 - 2-2"

I bumped up Dylan, Sammy, Carson and Tate. Bumped down Mendez, paddy, romero (just cause of injury) and hoffman

125 - DNQ
133 - R12
141 - R12
149 - 2
157 - 2-2
165 - 7
174 - 5
184 - 7
197 - 2-2
285 - R12

Last edited by Alex Creech on March 7, 2023; edited 1 time in total

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 7, 2023

"

"I don't think it's unreasonable, probably closer to their ceiling. I'm going to revise these after big tens.

125 - R12
133 - 7
141 - 2-2
149 - 3
157 - R12
165 - R12
174 - 5
197 - R12
285 - 2-2"

I bumped up Dylan, Sammy, Carson and Tate. Bumped down Mendez, paddy, romero (just cause of injury) and hoffman

125 - DNQ
133 - R12
141 - R12
149 - 2
157 - DNQ
165 - 7
174 - 5
184 - 7
197 - 2-2
285 - R12"

Paddy got an at large bid.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on March 8, 2023

Ohio state got the worst draws possible. Brooks vs Romero In quarters. Sasso Gomez round two. Mendes 14 seed. It may be a tough weekend for the buckeyes

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 9, 2023

I don't think they are bad draws.

Jesse likely has Nagao in Rd of 12 to AA if it plays out according to seed.

Kaleb has to beat Salazar in Rd of 12 according to seed.

Gomez is injured and did'nt compete well at Big Tens due to a hobbled wheel. Unlikely to change in a week. I didn't want him to meet up with Yianni/Paniro/Henson.

Ethan Smith likely to face Big Ten opponent in Rd 12.

Heck, I like Tate's draw.

Sean Koran added to this discussion on March 9, 2023

Rex hit on 133, 149, 174, and 184 already so I'll skip those.

D'Emilio seems decently positioned to make R12, but then will face a tough road to AA having to either beat Bartlett or Matthews. Even tougher path if he loses the first round match.

Assuming Paddy loses R1, the path ahead of him will be mostly familiar competition. He'd likely face Clark in the first round of the wrestlebacks. If he can turn around the L from B1Gs he' likely face Saldate from MSU next, who he lost to by 1 earlier in the year. A W there likely pits him against Siebrecht, who beat him 8-0 at B1G. Hard to see that turning around, but assuming Paddy channels the energy from the Robb match and pulls off the upset he'd be looking at Ruth or Lewan in the blood round. I think ANY win next weekend will be a good showing in my book, but there is the potential for more.

Carson's likely round 2 match against Caliendo looks big. If he wins, then loses to O'Toole, he'd likely have Facundo or #12 seed Olejnik in R12 to AA. If he loses the Caliendo match, he'll likely face Ramirez or Monday in R12 which will be much tougher.

No idea how healthy Hoffman is, but assuming a R1 loss to Sloan, then wrestleback W over Stout (which, to be clear, shouldn't be assumed), he'll then likely face Allred again. Obviously Gavin was close to beating him at B1G so who knows? If he pull out a win there he gets the #16/17 seed, so another winnable match to reach R12. He'd then likely face Trumble from NCSt, which is about the best match you could hope for to AA. This is all a longshot obviously, but seems potentially doable.

I think the over/under for OSU AA's is 3.5.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 9, 2023

Quote from Sean Koran's post:

"Carson's likely round 2 match against Caliendo looks big."

I LOVE Caliendo. His impressions are spot on hilarious!!!

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 11, 2023

Hilarious. I have to say, while the Bucks have some middle of the pack seeds, Iowa fared far worse. There are a boatload of guys seeded in the 4-8 range that wrestled soft schedules and were rewarded accordingly. I think this has
The recipe for chaos starting in round 2 and the quarters. Should be fun to watch.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

My predictions look pretty close. Carson just needed one more win

► Add to the Discussion