Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Stop auto-taking bottom in college wrestling
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 6, 2023

With the college rules and the way refs are calling stalling, I would have to have 100% confidence in an escape before taking down. It's just in the DNA of most coaches to tell their kids to take down, even when it doesn't make sense.

I hear old school coaches say "you have to be able to get out", but college wrestlers who can ride and are not held accountable to create offense on top are tough to beat.

The Woods - Hardy match was an example of what I'm referencing with stalling. Hardy had a leg in, a deep, physical ride. Woods couldn't get up. I assume he WANTED to get up, I believe he was trying to get up, but he couldn't. He was hit for stalling twice in about 30 seconds. To his credit, Hardy didn't take bottom in the 3rd but he chose neutral. I'm convinced he would have ridden Woods out and probably got another stalling call or two if he chose top.

The PSU guys have perfected the top position, well within the rules. Watching Labriola try to get away from Stirocci was painful. Stirroci makes zero attempts to score but you can't get away from him. Same with Brooks, RBY, Dean (who actually does score from top), and Kirklivet.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 6, 2023

"Hardy didn't take bottom in the 3rd but he chose neutral. I'm convinced he would have ridden Woods out and probably got another stalling call or two if he chose top."

Yes, he wins if he chooses top.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 6, 2023

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

""Hardy didn't take bottom in the 3rd but he chose neutral. I'm convinced he would have ridden Woods out and probably got another stalling call or two if he chose top."

Yes, he wins if he chooses top."

Agree -- and wrestling would be worse for it.

So flippin' boring -- almost as boring as watching Lewan wrestle in any position. :)

► Add to the Discussion