Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Discussion Topic: NCAA Division I Brackets
Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Ben, the season was fine. Vegas was bad and injuries impacted a dual or two, but the Bucks wrestled well when it mattered from January to March."

Yeah I don’t agree with the overall assessment. I don’t want to be the guy who is being a downer, but if all you care about is March, the Buckeyes had three guys who placed in previous years but didn’t make the podium this weekend.

There wasn’t really anyone who appeared to jump to a new level this season compared to the past, though D’Emilio and Romero outperformed expectations a bit this weekend.

You mentioned CKLV was bad. I recall the VT dual was also rough, though the Bucks eeked out the win. The PSU, Nebraska and UNI duals were painful, though we did have a number of guys out against Nebraska and UNI. I don’t think the team had a great showing at Big Tens, either. There just wasn’t much that happened during the season to build excitement.

I don’t want to crap on the program after a relatively good weekend, but some great years at OSU leave me unaccustomed to being pleasantly surprised with a 4th place finish at NCAAs.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"Yianni is an asshole.

I was so impressed by the other 9 winner's interviews, the respect they gave their opponents. Yianni, even when given an opportunity by the interviewer, just doesn't think much of Sammy."

I didn’t take it that way. He just didn’t praise Sammy. He is all focused on his own performance, bot his opponent. He gave Sammy the respect in their hand shake.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

"Yianni is an asshole.

I was so impressed by the other 9 winner's interviews, the respect they gave their opponents. Yianni, even when given an opportunity by the interviewer, just doesn't think much of Sammy."

I didn’t take it that way. He just didn’t praise Sammy. He is all focused on his own performance, bot his opponent. He gave Sammy the respect in their hand shake."

I'm probably being defensive, but he pointed to the mat and said it was garbage, wouldn't even make the national team with that performance. Maybe, just maybe, sammy is better than he thinks.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

"I'm probably being defensive, but he pointed to the mat and said it was garbage, wouldn't even make the national team with that performance. Maybe, just maybe, sammy is better than he thinks."

Yeah, a little defensive. He never said garbage. He referenced his performance. He wasn’t happy with his wrestling. …and yeah, Sammy maybe better than he thinks but I’ve heard him speak of Sammy before and he knows his skills. Again, I think he’s critical of his performance. Hyper critical.

Either way, I’ve never seen or heard anything from YD that would make me think he’s not a good dude.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

"

"I'm probably being defensive, but he pointed to the mat and said it was garbage, wouldn't even make the national team with that performance. Maybe, just maybe, sammy is better than he thinks."

Yeah, a little defensive. He never said garbage. He referenced his performance. He wasn’t happy with his wrestling. …and yeah, Sammy maybe better than he thinks but I’ve heard him speak of Sammy before and he knows his skills. Again, I think he’s critical of his performance. Hyper critical.

Either way, I’ve never seen or heard anything from YD that would make me think he’s not a good dude."

You're right, I apologize to Yianni. I should adhere to my own 15 minute rule. I'm not going to delete my post though, I'll own it.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

I don't like the hypercritical attitude either, although I may have indulged it in the past.

I prefer Keegan O'Toole school of gratitude that he is a great opponent that made me better.

The problem with hypercritical is that it diminishes your opponent performance by saying that my best is way better than yours. That typically is not true, especially in a sport where these guys have sacrificed so much to be great.

When your expectation is such and things don't go to plan, then losing is catastrophic. i.e Spencer Lee

I have written about Kyle Snyder and resilience. That is the proper approach for a healthy lifelong attitude with wrestling.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

"I'm not going to delete my post though, I'll own it."

Respect, Creecher.

Doug Gainous added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

3 days of multicast has me hungover...or was it the bourbon? Anyways, I thought the Bucks looked prepared and wrestled their butts off. I can't remember a match they lost by ridout or a position they were scouted and gamed. I even saw some smart riding. The top/bottom/neutral choices made sense.

Sure, I expect more finalist and some Champs but that's how high the bar is under Tom Ryan.

Thanks OWN community for all the info, critique and for a place to vent. This forum is AWESOME. See ya next year.

GO Bucks!

Jeff Fortman added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

College wrestling needs a pushout rule. This may Change stalling techniques a but because as I've said several times this weekend, it's about consistent as ohio weather during a season change. Bright and sunny in the am, snowing in the pm.

Bucks did well, sasso had his shot but let Yanni get to his legs to much. Had anyone else but Yanni been in that match I think sasso wins by leaps.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

My personal MVP is Kaleb. Love that he finished with a win. That is how you celebrate when it matters. He will be a great success in his professional career. Second is Sammy, he is going to make a great, and I mean a Great, coach. I know he has goals beyond college on the mat, and I can't wait to see how he does.
The two matches I learned the most related to technique were Vito and O'Toole. I will be watching those matches multiple times. There is so much there. The forum is elite, and you guys did not disappoint this weekend. We are spoiled with the expertise and knowledge on here. It makes me a better coach and reveals a lot of good(maybe some bad) character traits. We don't wrestle for trophies we wrestle to compete. Be Well all

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"I don't like the hypercritical attitude either, although I may have indulged it in the past.

I prefer Keegan O'Toole school of gratitude that he is a great opponent that made me better. "

I 100% agree — I just don’t think Yianni was purposely downgrading Sammy, but I could be wrong. Everything I’ve seen and read about him brings me to this conclusion.

On the positive side, I see more and more wrestlers adopting the Snyder, O’Toole, Griffith, Carr approach to wrestling.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

"

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"I don't like the hypercritical attitude either, although I may have indulged it in the past.

I prefer Keegan O'Toole school of gratitude that he is a great opponent that made me better. "

I 100% agree — I just don’t think Yianni was purposely downgrading Sammy, but I could be wrong. Everything I’ve seen and read about him brings me to this conclusion.

On the positive side, I see more and more wrestlers adopting the Snyder, O’Toole, Griffith, Carr approach to wrestling."

I have a friend who works as a camera man for ESPN. He has worked every major sporting event there is. In his opinion, the NCAA Wrestling Championships is by far the worst event he has to work.

Why? Because the athletes seem so unhappy. Even when they win, they are still unhappy. That is just one man's opinion on our sport, that he knows very little about, but there is some truth to it. I tried to reason with him, that wrestling is so unique. I think after you put it all on the line and come out victorious, it is almost more likely that you breakdown and cry as jumping for joy, as we saw with Pat Glory. Can't even imagine the feeling.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 20, 2023

Yianni did not have a great season if measured by the standards of a former world team member and wrestler going for his 4th title. He had an unexpected loss to Gomez. And he did not dominate his way through the NCAA tourney. His match with Murin was a prime example. He was in control but made it needlessly close with some sloppy wrestling. I think Yianni wasn't disrespectful to Sammy as much as he felt his performance at NCAA's was sub par.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 20, 2023

NCAA seed/place differential leaders
West Virginia +20
Ohio State +18
Penn State +16
Virginia Tech +15
South Dakota State +11
North Carolina +9
Iowa +8
Clarion +7
Michigan +7
Purdue +7

Tweeted out by @Andy_Hamilton

Buckeyes came to wrestle!!!!

WVU that high because Killian Cardinale was seeded WAY below his ability because of injury. He was their +20.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8