Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: OHSAA state tournament
Bill Splete added to this discussion on March 10, 2023

I’m my opinion…OHSAA just jumped the shark with these mats…something special about the red and green

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 11, 2023

Perhaps. On the positive end, we have the only tournament in the country sponsored by an Ohio based company. Founded and ran by Ohio wrestlers that is putting its stamp on the sport and hopefully sports in general. I’m a bit of a traditionalist and could be swayed back to the old mats. A little shake up once in a while is good for the soul.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 11, 2023

I lean toward agreeing with Bill on this. They look "nice" but would have looked better in red and green. I wonder if yellow and green are their corporate colors?

Looking at them, the one thing I noticed, and didn't care for, was the changing of the colors for the circles. Kind of like a warning track at the ballpark. Maybe I am wrong but it seems like it would be really easy to lose track of which circle was OOB's.

John Joyce added to this discussion on March 11, 2023

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"I lean toward agreeing with Bill on this. They look "nice" but would have looked better in red and green. I wonder if yellow and green are their corporate colors?

Looking at them, the one thing I noticed, and didn't care for, was the changing of the colors for the circles. Kind of like a warning track at the ballpark. Maybe I am wrong but it seems like it would be really easy to lose track of which circle was OOB's."

Rudis is yellow and black usually so I’m guessing what you are calling green is black? Those mats can double as freestyle mats which require the OOB zone.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 11, 2023

Quote from John Joyce's post:

"Rudis is yellow and black usually so I’m guessing what you are calling green is black? Those mats can double as freestyle mats which require the OOB zone."

You are correct, I meant yellow and black (or grey). My mistake.

I wondered if use for FS was the reason for the odd circles. That gives me another reason to not like them aside from color. Nothing at all against FS but this is a folk style event and should use the proper mats.

John Joyce added to this discussion on March 11, 2023

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"

Quote from John Joyce's post:

"Rudis is yellow and black usually so I’m guessing what you are calling green is black? Those mats can double as freestyle mats which require the OOB zone."

You are correct, I meant yellow and black (or grey). My mistake.

I wondered if use for FS was the reason for the odd circles. That gives me another reason to not like them aside from color. Nothing at all against FS but this is a folk style event and should use the proper mats."

I’m admittedly also partial to the Red and Green, but not enough to have a negative opinion on these mats. I do know that new mats were needed, so if a Rudis partnership got that done for what I’m assuming didn’t cost the state very much, I’m cool with it.

► Add to the Discussion