Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Practice/Training Questions
Luke Moore added to this discussion on March 12, 2023

I have a few questions that I would love to hear some opinions on, if you are willing.

1- When implementing new technique, how do you handle depth vs. breadth? In other words, is it better for a wrestler to learn a lot of technique while not mastering all of it. Or is it better to learn the basics, only a small amount and be able to hit it great?

2- Lead leg changes, thought? Should a kid hit leg attacks from both sides, or just from one side?

3- How much live should there be in a practice? Is live a daily thing, and why?

4- How important is freestyle training in the offseason? Is it more important to learn/drill freestyle turns such as gut wrench and crotch lift, or stick with the things that are used during the season?

5- Based on your observations, what are the top moves in all 3 positions? TD, turn, escape/reversal?

6- What is better, training in your own room with you own coaches in the offseason, or going elsewhere and learning from someone new?

Looking forward to seeing what people think of these things.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 12, 2023

Quote from Luke Moore's post:

"I have a few questions that I would love to hear some opinions on, if you are willing.

1- When implementing new technique, how do you handle depth vs. breadth? In other words, is it better for a wrestler to learn a lot of technique while not mastering all of it. Or is it better to learn the basics, only a small amount and be able to hit it great?

2- Lead leg changes, thought? Should a kid hit leg attacks from both sides, or just from one side?

3- How much live should there be in a practice? Is live a daily thing, and why?

4- How important is freestyle training in the offseason? Is it more important to learn/drill freestyle turns such as gut wrench and crotch lift, or stick with the things that are used during the season?

5- Based on your observations, what are the top moves in all 3 positions? TD, turn, escape/reversal?

6- What is better, training in your own room with you own coaches in the offseason, or going elsewhere and learning from someone new?

Looking forward to seeing what people think of these things."

My opinions:
1) Half ass technique always hurts you when it counts. Master a few for each situation and have a few others you know in case of wrinkles that occur

2) You need to be able to attack both sides but it doesn't have to be the same techique. And not all wrestlers are skilled with leg attacks so be flexible when we talk about attacking both sides.

3) Great question. I don't think it's necessary to go live each practice. I think situational drills are critical.

4) When I coached, I wanted my best wrestlers to go to Fargo so they'd train with the best kids in the state and wrestle the best kids in the country. So we did some freestyle and greco depending on the kid. I think that any wrestler who aspires to be a state placement caliber performer needs to compete in some matches that matter during the offseason. I think open mat sessions where kids go takedowns are fun but mostly useless.

5) The best moves depend on what suits the individual wrestler. Each kid has a style that's unique to him and a coach has to figure out which moves suit each wrestler.

6) In most cases, it's great to allow your kids to get coached by someone else. Fresh eyes can make a huge difference.

These are excellent questions.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 14, 2023

Quote from Luke Moore's post:

"I have a few questions that I would love to hear some opinions on, if you are willing"

1- Depends on the level of wrestler I'm working with. Guys I coached from 2006 to 2019 the depth was really deep. For newer/less experienced, the depth isn't deep. The breadth is fairly narrow for each group though. More expreienced is obviously wider, but not as wide as people would expect - as far as technique that is "mastered". We did hit a wide breadth of techniques that we played with though - especially from my teams from '12 - '19.

2- Both sides -- but I don't change lead leg.

3- I did live (as most think of it) twice a week. Shorter in mid-week and longer on Fridays. Trying to cement what we're learning during the week in live goes at the end of the week.

4- Not vital (see St. Paris who rarely wrestles freestyle - but they are an outlier because of Jordan Camps) but very important to develop a "wrestling mind".

5- Feet -- top 3 are those which score the most in competition. Single, double, and defense/short offense.
Top, tilts(with wrist controlled), halves, leg rides.
Bottom: stand-up, short site/turn (think Nico Megaludis or Romero/Smith now).

6- Depends on your coach. For some, they have to go elsewhere because their coach isn't that experienced or not in the room to help -- but if home coach is willing to be there and work, there is value to being in there with them. I always encouraged my teams to go train in other rooms -- opens their eyes / ears to other technique/ways of thinking about wrestling.

My $0.02

► Add to the Discussion