Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Kaleb Romero and Ethan Smith
Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

Hats off to these gents, and thanks for years of being Buckeyes! These guys were both grinders their whole career.

I remember Ethan Smith's frosh year saying, "man, that guy fights in every match," and that stayed true his whole career. As a fan, I could always count on superb effort from him.

I'm thrilled with Kaleb Romero's last match! Kaleb has been in the mix with the top guys for the last few years, and the win over Hidlay may be the best of his career. Guy worked hard in all his matches as well, and I've enjoyed watching him.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jeff Fortman added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

Thrilled for Romero, what a gutsy win over an awesome wrestler. Romero would be a national champ any other year with what we saw this weekend outside of a Penn wrestler. Glad to see Ethan as well.
He was nice enough to talk with us and take a picture with me a few weeks ago after a tough loss to Nebraska. First class dude.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Hats off to these gents, and thanks for years of being Buckeyes! These guys were both grinders their whole career.

I remember Ethan Smith's frosh year saying, "man, that guy fights in every match," and that stayed true his whole career. As a fan, I could always count on superb effort from him.

I'm thrilled with Kaleb Romero's last match! Kaleb has been in the mix with the top guys for the last few years, and the win over Hidlay may be the best of his career. Guy worked hard in all his matches as well, and I've enjoyed watching him."

Well said. It was a pleasure watching them these past 4-5 years and they will be missed. Best of luck to both of them.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

let's GOOOOOOOO!!!

https://twitter.com/bradyhiatt7/status/1637146366701977600?s=46&t=5jj15bRI0tq9cwO0v9XVIw

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Hats off to these gents, and thanks for years of being Buckeyes! These guys were both grinders their whole career.

I'm thrilled with Kaleb Romero's last match! Kaleb has been in the mix with the top guys for the last few years, and the win over Hidlay may be the best of his career. Guy worked hard in all his matches as well, and I've enjoyed watching him."

Ditto.

Matt Schein added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

Awesome stuff Brady. What’s Kaleb’s plan next year

Quote from Matt Schein's post:

"Awesome stuff Brady. What’s Kaleb’s plan next year"

Heading into, hopefully, the medical sales world. Though I’d love to see him get into coaching as well. He has a lot to give and I told him that, from experience, it is so much more rewarding helping others reach their goals than reaching your own!

I wish y’all could have been at the tOSU social today. This team is a special group of guys and the coaches are special people.

Was enjoyable to talk a little strategy with Bo and Logan also. High character men! Glad Kaleb chose tOSU!!!

This is a staff and team that I can always support and root for.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

https://twitter.com/wrestlingbucks/status/1637149761751986176?s=46&t=5jj15bRI0tq9cwO0v9XVIw

Great work by Kaleb to secure the td!!

Love the raw joy from him — and from Bo. The two are close. Bo’s screams of “COME ON! COME ON!!! WHOOOOOO”.

Awesome. Awesome stuff!!!

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

Those guys both had outstanding careers.

I still think Ethan could have won the semis his sophomore year.

Romero was due for some big wins as he just kept incrementally improving and closing the gap on Brooks. Would've liked to see him match up with Keckheisen in the semis. That high crotch/crackback position in the middle of the mat was money. Similar to how Levi Haines elevated his game.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

What's amazing about Romero is that he looked rusty at Big Tens. Over the last two weeks, he was able to return to an elite performance level.

Kudos to the Bucks staff as a whole. This team was ready.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"What's amazing about Romero is that he looked rusty at Big Tens. Over the last two weeks, he was able to return to an elite performance level.

Kudos to the Bucks staff as a whole. This team was ready."

It was hush hush but Kaleb had a different significant injury in the PSU dual (Not the dislocated finger) and that was the reason he sat out for the month heading into the B1G. The team had many injuries that really hampered guys this season. To their credit, not one peep about them. They just battled.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

I remember watching Kaleb wrestle a dual at Purdue his redshirt freshman year. He looked to be cutting a ton of weight and was wrestling 165 because that’s where he was needed. I loved the video Brady shared where he was reading a letter thanking some of the people who helped him along the way. A real warrior. Glad he finished his last year strong.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on March 20, 2023

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"What's amazing about Romero is that he looked rusty at Big Tens. Over the last two weeks, he was able to return to an elite performance level.

Kudos to the Bucks staff as a whole. This team was ready."

It was hush hush but Kaleb had a different significant injury in the PSU dual (Not the dislocated finger) and that was the reason he sat out for the month heading into the B1G. The team had many injuries that really hampered guys this season. To their credit, not one peep about them. They just battled."

I thought so when I saw him just give up his ankle against Brooks in the dual.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on March 20, 2023

Romero and Smith were great Buckeyes.

The fact that Romero was able to place 3rd in this tournament with the condition of his right knee is ridiculous. His last match being probably his best ever win... pure toughness. If he doesn't get hurt in the dual he had a chance to give Brooks a real challenge.

Super happy to see Smith cap off his career with another AA finish as well. Has to be noted he was also banged up most of this season. Same as Romero, never heard a peep about it, he just went about his business.

These 6th year guys have been pretty hit or miss across the country, in large part because of the physical toll of wrestling 6 straight NCAA seasons. The guys that finish strong like this show real character.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next