Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: John Smith
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

We complain the Bucks don't do a good job developing talent but Tom Ryan has done a significantly better job than John Smith. Smith, who's also known to land his share of top recruits, has seen his program struggle mightily in recent years at NCAA's.

If you were an Okie State fan, would you want to see him go?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

After three down years in a row with 1-2 All Americans, yes. But I think he would probably be looking for an exit at that time. Maybe not.

I followed them a bit this year. A lot of his wrestlers are very good but in that 10-20 range. They need a break out year next year with some of that young talent, Surber, Voinovich and Young.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

Smith told the media he expects to return but joked, I think, that OK State administration might run him off. The program is struggling and it’s strange that a legend in Smith can’t find the answers.

Maybe he’s tired. After all, he’s now been head coach for over 30 seasons. Eventually it no longer works.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Smith told the media he expects to return but joked, I think, that OK State administration might run him off. The program is struggling and it’s strange that a legend in Smith can’t find the answers.

Maybe he’s tired. After all, he’s now been head coach for over 30 seasons. Eventually it no longer works."

John is tired, it happens, as Tommy Rowlands told me years ago, College coaching is a young mans game....all the recruiting, traveling, family time, pressure, health concerns. The fire drifts away.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

But male ego remains intact. His problem is he's no longer a great head coach but he's unable to see it.

► Add to the Discussion