Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Random thoughts 2023 NCAAs
Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

Bryce Andonian is a Bo Nickal talent but undisciplined in his approach. He rolled Haines and almost scored a fall. He is too willing to engage every position, rather than just the ones' that he can manipulate.

Spencer Lee saying quitting is for wussies didn't age well.

Buckeyes did well; everyone wrestled to or above their seed.

As JLJ, pointed out, tOSU only lost one match to a non-All American.

Lots of upsets, which doesn't seem all that misplaced when guys are showing up with twenty matches.

NIL will change things further and the program with most money will be the Yankees of wrestling.

Shane Griffith gets the sportsmanship award. Just impressive.

Matt Ramos gets the baby-faced assassin award. Won by Keegan O'Toole last year.

Jesse Mendez gets the stones of steel award for winning three Tiebreaker matches in a row.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

Wrestlers like Real Woods will continue to transfer to Iowa because of money and the opportunity to compete in front of 10K fans. That has a real appeal.

But the Brands have not done a stellar job developing talent either. They have, however, feasted on transfers.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

Once again TR has the bucks ready to go at NCAA time. What happens in Jan and Feb (minus injuries) doesn't foretell how tOSU will do at the big tourney.

What do they put in the water at Happy Valley? At least three matches I can think of that they were lost and then they weren't. Everybody hates the Yankees but you have to respect that kind of wrestling.

I could hear the collective gasp of the entire OWN crowd, in California, when D'Emilio took down in OT.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"NIL will change things further and the program with most money will be the Yankees of wrestling."

Mulling this over a bit...

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"

"NIL will change things further and the program with most money will be the Yankees of wrestling."

Mulling this over a bit..."

I think I have a spare $7 in my wallet if that helps.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

Quote from Mike Stann's post:

"I could hear the collective gasp of the entire OWN crowd, in California, when D'Emilio took down in OT."

Not me. It was the right choice. He HAD to make a choice. Couldn’t defer. If you have to (or mistakenly do like Matthews did vs DD, you are at a big disadvantage.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

"Shane Griffith gets the sportsmanship award."

100%. Man is pure class.

I was pleasantly surprised with the class and respect the VAST majority of guys showed for their opponents in both victory and defeat. On the biggest stage their hearts ripped out .. and they stood in the center of the mat and waited for the victor to come to the center and shook their hands and walked to the opposing corner and shook their hands. I can only remember seeing two “tantrums” where. A hand slap and sprint to the back happened.

Good stuff men. Good stuff.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

Prior to the start of this season this weekend was right about where you would place your projections for the Buckeye NCAA performance. The juxtaposition occurs when you reflect that at no time during the season did Ohio State put all of these pieces together to demonstrate that this team was capable of this. A very experienced, yet frail team performed when they needed to. Perhaps the coaching staff deserves more credit than they are given for their athlete centered management. Half the line up AA’d and more hardware was brought home. This team will look drastically different next year.
Cornell had a great performance. Mike Grey continues to impress with his development of top level guys. Now his toughest task lies ahead. You lose two transcendent talents from your program. How do you maintain relevance?
I saw several tweets about Ohio only having four AA’s this year. Willy Saylor tweeted that the traditional power states were down across the board in terms of AA finishes. I think that’s good for the sport in terms of parity, but not maybe Ohio high school wrestling. The Ivy’s had three champs, Pitt w/ one, ACC w/ one, Northern Colorado w/ one, Mizzouri w/ one, Big 10 w/ 3. Add in finalists from Northern Iowa and South Dakota state and you have some nice parity. That’s good for the sport.
The new tie breaker ride our rules need changed. It has been hacked already and is completely advantageous to the top wrestler. I have yet to see a guy who goes bottom first win. I do like that it does not drag matches out, but it rewards stalling far too easily, and allows the top wrestler to never have to engage in an attempt on bottom by choosing neutral. I feel like we’re back to coin flips determining matches.
It’s time for John Smith to move on. Oklahoma State needs an overhaul.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

I didn't realize Vito's dad was a 2x World Champ, 1x World silver, and 1x Olympic Bronze medalist. Sheesh.

Matt Schein added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

My 2 cents
Fantastic tourney lots of upsets
Still stick with my previous comments on Lee, with that being said, shame on espn for focusing on his mother, god forbid you see the joy of Ramos’ family. Fix lost came back for the consos and lost and ended up 4th. Good for him to manning up
Arujau is fantastic, he destroyed RBY, one of my new favorite wrestlers
Starocci and brooks are incredible
Mason parris is a beast
The Pitt kid at 197 was great I loved his reaction pure joy
O’Connor looked like a grown man compared to Hines who looked like a child
Mendez and DD gutted it out and AA. They are both so close to the top guys.
Thank you to Romero and smith. You two are great and I hope nothing but the best for you both
Sasso you’ll get yours next year
Paddy is close
I agree John smith may be done. They have been underperforming for too long
I and so tired of the “Iowa style” and the Brands. It’s so tired and stale. It that era is over, no one fears Iowa anymore. The sport has evolved deal with it. The old adage goes “punch a bully in the nose, and they’ll go away”. Maybe I’ve just mellowed
I’m sure I’m forgetting something, but oh well
Sorry for rambling

Last edited by Matt Schein on March 19, 2023; edited 1 time in total

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

The Buckeyes are impressive guys and reflect the class and passion of their coach. There really isn’t much more to write about Kaleb and Ethan. Class acts. Really, the whole team. Win or lose, great sportsmanship.

I don’t know why but I always had the sense Max Dean was kind of a tool. His last post-match interview may have changed my mind. It was raw and sincere emotion that showed a lot of gratitude.

Matt Schein added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

Forgot a couple of things
David Carr is a class act, as is O’Toole
The NCAA did a terrible job seeding this tournament

► Add to the Discussion