Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: 2023-24 Ohio State Buckeyes
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

Looking toward next year, the lineup could go a multitude of ways. Some early thoughts:

125 - Options are Andre Gonzales, Brendan McCrone and Vinny Kilkeary. All three are likely downgrades from Malik. I'm expecting a .500 season from whomever, with qualifying for the NCAA tournament a bonus.

133 - Options are Jesse Mendes and Nic Bouzakis. I expect Bouzakis to start and I think he'll have a season similar to Mendes this year. This weight is an AA threat again, either way.

141 - Options are Dylan D'Emilio and Jesse Mendes. Again, both are AA threats next year.

149 - Options are Sammy Sasso, Dylan D'Emilio and Gavin Brown. Sammy is a title threat, Dylan a possible AA, Brown neither.

157 - Options are Paddy Gallagher, Sammy Sasso and Gavin Brown. Paddy is an outside AA possibility, Sammy is a title contender and Brown is neither.

165 - Options are Carson Kharchla, Paddy Gallagher, Bryce Hepner and Isaac Wilcox. I think the first 3 are bubble AA candidates, Wilcox is a solid starter, NCAA qualifier.

174 - Options are Carson Kharchla and Rocco Welsh. Both are bubble AA threats.

184 - Options are Luke Geog, Seth Shumate and Ryder Rogotke. I think all are NCAA qualifiers, but I don't know if any are AA threats.

197 - Options are Luke Geog and ? I think Geog is a qualifier, but not sure he's an AA threat.

285 - Options are Nick Feldman and ? Feldman is an immediate title contender.

What I would do:

125 - Whoever wins the wrestle off. I think all three are about the same caliber.

133 - Bouzakis. I don't think he'll be effective at 141, and you need to get him in the lineup.

141 - Mendes. I think a number of wrestlers need to bump, for personal and team reasons, and I think he can be successful up a weight with an off-season to get there.

149 - D'Emilio. Same as above.

157 - Sasso. Unless Sammy insisted on going 149, I think he and the team benefit with him going up.

165 - Winner of the Paddy v. Hepner wrestle off, if Hepner is as this weight.

174 - Winner of the Kharchla v. Hepner wrestle off, if Hepner is at this weight. I'd RS Welsh.

184 - Shumate, unless Rogotzke is clearly better.

197 - Geog. I don't really see another option.

285 - Feldman. Again, I don't see another option.

Team thoughts - That team should contend for a trophy, and while PSU reloads, if they lose RBY, Starocci, Dean and Kerkvliet, that's a lot. Brings them back to the pack a little. Given that there might be a glimmer of hope, I expect Tom Ryan to put whomever he thinks gives the Bucks the best chance to win, regardless of class.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

125 is going to be rough next year. Hoping maybe a transfer portal kind of one year fill in. After next year Ohio state is the huge favorite to land the top 125 prospect in the nation Davino. I was told at this tourney by a very reliable source that it is a 90 percent chance he is coming to Ohio state.

Mendes may redshirt next year. It is still an option he has and hasn’t made the decesion yet. I’m guessing it is going to depend on what demilio and sasso do. Stay the same weight or bump up.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 18, 2023

125: Kilkeary will beat out Gonzales.
133: Bouzakis
141: Mendez
149: DEmilio
157: Sasso
165: Hepner/Gallagher....ultimately Gallagher
174: Kharchla
184: Shumate (Welsh redshirts)
197: Geog (Rogotzke redshirts)
285: Feldman

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

I’ll go the route of posing questions, because there is a ton to speculate on. This team returns Three to five potential All Americans, and one additional qualified in Gallagher.

1. Sasso is said he is coming back. Does Hoffman do the same. Both would be on their sixth year. Kharchla has two years of eligibility remaining, but I have long speculated that he may be done after this year. He has been injury plagued ever since high school. While talented I’m not sure his body can hold up. Technically D’Emilio could be done as well but he has another year remaining as well. I’m sure there is a lot to evaluate in the coming months.
2. As you’ve hinted on, do guys slide up? Mendez delivered the goods this year. Bousakis promises some of the same next year. He’s likely to push for a world team in both Greco and freestyle. The plan was to slide them in at 133/141 but there’s a lot to consider still.
3. Is Feldman ready? He was robbed of a redshirt year due to a substantial injury. The weight class is as wide open as it has been in a decade with no Gable, no Parris, and potentially no Cassiopi. Kerkleviet will be the heavy favorite. If healthy Nick needs to get bigger as he will be one of the shorter guys in the weight class. He is a substantial threat to AA right away if he can make up for lost time. Being off the mat that long matters.
4. Who steps up? This will be a young team next year. Do we see guys like Geog, Shumate, and Hoepner step in and contribute immediately? Does a guy like Rocco Welsch contribute immediately? This will be the most inexperienced and least known Buckeye lineup in a while. Should be fun!
5. Next year is about Sammy and his quest for a title. This may be reminiscent of 2014 when NATO, Bojo, and others redshirted and the entire season was about Logan and his quest for 3. Sammy is due, clearly. The question will be where will he do it at. 149 or 157.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

I appreciate this approach, Jared, excellent thoughts.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

Sasso quest for a title will be a hard one he will have Gomez back, Ridge Lovett coming off a RS, a much improved Van Ness and super stud freshman Meyer Shapiro at Cornell.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"Sasso quest for a title will be a hard one he will have Gomez back, Ridge Lovett coming off a RS, a much improved Van Ness and super stud freshman Meyer Shapiro at Cornell."

I saw Gomez say he will be back for year 7. 7 years in college??? how many is this for sammy?

man, i double majored and took 5 1/2 years and i didn't want to spend another second in school.

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"

"Sasso quest for a title will be a hard one he will have Gomez back, Ridge Lovett coming off a RS, a much improved Van Ness and super stud freshman Meyer Shapiro at Cornell."

I saw Gomez say he will be back for year 7. 7 years in college??? how many is this for sammy?

man, i double majored and took 5 1/2 years and i didn't want to spend another second in school."

I think next year will be Sasso 6th year.

[quote="Nick Lecklider"]125 is going to be rough next year. Hoping maybe a transfer portal kind of one year fill in. After next year Ohio state is the huge favorite to land the top 125 prospect in the nation Davino. I was told at this tourney by a very reliable source that it is a 90 percent chance he is coming to Ohio state.

How does Davino stack up against Lilledahl?

The PSU boards seem to think the Basset and Forest are into tOSU and could end up as Buckeyes.

Would be amazing if true.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

A guy that I like that I failed to mention is Decatur. If Mendes wants to RS, and DD wants to move up, Jordan could step in at 141. I'd have him as a qualifier, but no AA threat.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

Wouldn’t next year be a possible Olympic RS year? Maybe Mendez, if qualified, does that.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

Wouldn’t next year be a possible Olympic RS year? Maybe Mendez, if qualified, does that.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"Looking toward next year, the lineup could go a multitude of ways. Some early thoughts:

125 - Options are Andre Gonzales, Brendan McCrone and Vinny Kilkeary. All three are likely downgrades from Malik. I'm expecting a .500 season from whomever, with qualifying for the NCAA tournament a bonus.

133 - Options are Jesse Mendes and Nic Bouzakis. I expect Bouzakis to start and I think he'll have a season similar to Mendes this year. This weight is an AA threat again, either way.

141 - Options are Dylan D'Emilio and Jesse Mendes. Again, both are AA threats next year.

149 - Options are Sammy Sasso, Dylan D'Emilio and Gavin Brown. Sammy is a title threat, Dylan a possible AA, Brown neither.

157 - Options are Paddy Gallagher, Sammy Sasso and Gavin Brown. Paddy is an outside AA possibility, Sammy is a title contender and Brown is neither.

165 - Options are Carson Kharchla, Paddy Gallagher, Bryce Hepner and Isaac Wilcox. I think the first 3 are bubble AA candidates, Wilcox is a solid starter, NCAA qualifier.

174 - Options are Carson Kharchla and Rocco Welsh. Both are bubble AA threats.

184 - Options are Luke Geog, Seth Shumate and Ryder Rogotke. I think all are NCAA qualifiers, but I don't know if any are AA threats.

197 - Options are Luke Geog and ? I think Geog is a qualifier, but not sure he's an AA threat.

285 - Options are Nick Feldman and ? Feldman is an immediate title contender.

What I would do:

125 - Whoever wins the wrestle off. I think all three are about the same caliber.

133 - Bouzakis. I don't think he'll be effective at 141, and you need to get him in the lineup.

141 - Mendes. I think a number of wrestlers need to bump, for personal and team reasons, and I think he can be successful up a weight with an off-season to get there.

149 - D'Emilio. Same as above.

157 - Sasso. Unless Sammy insisted on going 149, I think he and the team benefit with him going up.

165 - Winner of the Paddy v. Hepner wrestle off, if Hepner is as this weight.

174 - Winner of the Kharchla v. Hepner wrestle off, if Hepner is at this weight. I'd RS Welsh.

184 - Shumate, unless Rogotzke is clearly better.

197 - Geog. I don't really see another option.

285 - Feldman. Again, I don't see another option.

Team thoughts - That team should contend for a trophy, and while PSU reloads, if they lose RBY, Starocci, Dean and Kerkvliet, that's a lot. Brings them back to the pack a little. Given that there might be a glimmer of hope, I expect Tom Ryan to put whomever he thinks gives the Bucks the best chance to win, regardless of class."

Can Bouzakis make 125? If not Ohio State will be major players in the portal.

What makes you think Starocci or Kerkvliet won’t be back?

The PSU boards seem to think PSU will punt on next year. They think a lot of guys will take ORS and could not come back.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 19, 2023

"The PSU boards seem to think PSU will punt on next year. They think a lot of guys will take ORS and could not come back."

I’d be surprised if Brooks and Starocci didn’t come back.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next