Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Nate Tomasello
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 23, 2023

With all the debate about whether or not Spencer Lee should have continued at NCAA's, here's a recollection.

Nate Tomasello won nationals as a frosh. The next three seasons he only lost 3 matches at NCAA's. Each time it was in the semis. And in every instance it was to a wrestler from Iowa--Gilman, Clark and Lee. And every single time he had to experience that disappointment....every muthereffing time...he came back for third. That's a bad-ss. That's balls. That's team first. Whatever you want to call it.

Next time, you're toasting a great competitor, make sure one of the reasons you're raising your glass is Nate Tomasello.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 23, 2023

<raisesglass>

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 24, 2023

Spaniard! Spaniard!

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 24, 2023

Thanks for posting about Nate. When Lee mff out of the tourney, I spoke to my son about Nate and the stark difference between the two regarding perseverance. Nate is one of my all time favorite Buckeyes. Such a warrior. Nate won 4 B1G titles. An accomplishment only a select group of men can point to.

Honestly I feel bad for Lee. He does not seem to have an individual in his life who is willing to look at the future and say hey man your 50 year old self is going to regret not competing on Saturday morning although in the moment you may not want to. It’s likely I don’t even have a clue as to what happened or who he has as his support system but from a bystander’s perspective that is what I arrived at. His mother certainly “quit” on her eye glasses. Eek. So many guys battled to stand just one step higher on the national podium and Lee quit when he couldn’t accomplish his goal. Really sad.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 24, 2023

Mark: I don't know what Lee should have done. Lee had struggled in his quarters match (which he won 14-4) and we know what happened in his semi bout. I think his knees are shot and that this was his last opportunity to do something great. There's no freestyle career for a guy who can't really move on his feet. I don't see any world titles in his future.

I think he came back his senior season for the sole purpose of winning number 4. And when he failed, I think he was devastated. Should he have limped out there for a couple more? I don't know.

But I do think what Nate did was remarkable. And I think it's worth remembering.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 24, 2023

WARRIOR!

I was thinking the other day of Nate's semifinal against Spencer in what was Nate's senior year, Spencer's true frosh year. Really it was a similar match to Lee's semifinal loss last weekend: A close match that wound up a pin at the last minute. I remember Spencer giving a shoutout to what a competitor Nate was in an interview after the match.

And I remember Nate saying after taking third that he wanted to be remembered as a warrior, which is exactly what he is!

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on March 25, 2023

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"And I remember Nate saying after taking third that he wanted to be remembered as a warrior, which is exactly what he is!"

It gives me chills remembering that. The crowd roared with approval when he gave that response.

Joe Johnson added to this discussion on March 27, 2023

At least once a year I go back and watch his semis match against Alan Waters. ESPN splits the screen with the other semi match and you get to watch Moisey headhunt Gilman for a cradle fall, then watch the freshman Nate just chase Water all over the mat til he gets that late takedown on the edge. One of the best Buckeye wrestling moments of all time.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on March 27, 2023

^^^Ha, just watched it. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 27, 2023

I was thinking about that Moisey/Gilman match when trying to think of whether or not Matt Ramos / Spencer Lee was the biggest college wrestling upset. I think Moisey pinning Gilman was a bigger upset (Moisey was unranked!), but of course Lee going for a 4th title adds some juice to that one.

Joe Johnson added to this discussion on March 27, 2023

I remember being concerned that maybe Moisey was on one of those runs where you can't beat him. Like he was destined to win that weekend. He beat Garrett kind and Klimara and controlled those matches. Then destroyed Gilman. But, Tomasello controlled him and just had to stay away from a fall. Tomasello was so damn good. Hard to believe he never made a final again. Each year sophomore through senior year after Big Tens, I had total confidence that he was going to win the NCAAs, but it wasn't meant to be. Top 3 four times at NCAAs is so hard to do. What a stud.

► Add to the Discussion