Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Is this illegal?
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 26, 2023

https://pennstate.forums.rivals.com/proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FUaefaLv.png&hash=8a86626660f8067f1167c8b40b40ff0f

This happened last night at Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic.

Match was 1-1 and on their feet. Davis has a single and Vinny hits this move and puts Davis on his back for 2 td and 2 nf and wins 5-2.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 26, 2023

I think it is.

My son was watching as I was driving. I heard the call on the action and assumed it was a whizzer + cutback to get his to his back. I remember stating that “I’m pretty sure that’s illegal” to my son.

I do not recall the outcome of that situation but I think they allowed it and it led to the win - correct?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 26, 2023

My understanding is a broomstick is illegal if your feet are off the ground as you hit it. It appears one of his feet is on the ground although it's impossible to tell. He also has a hand posted on the mat although I have no idea if that makes a difference.

The move should probably be made illegal regardless due to potential injury but it's a pretty nifty piece of technique when it works.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 26, 2023

Keep in mind that we are seeing a still photo which is a moment frozen in time.

Rule 7-1-5n addresses this situation. I am not sure what Hank might be looking at as, IMO, I see both of blue's legs off the mat. One leg is being held by red and the other is parallel to the mat. The hand posted is not a factor in the call.

If this is all we have to see, it is illegal. The way the Rule Book reads is that it is legal if the "arm is used to block the leg prior to going to the mat. The opponents leg can not be cut out by a kick".

In this case, the arm of blue is not being used to block the leg and it looks (to me) like a kick was used.

I would guess that the rules makers made this illegal as red can not protect himself going to the mat (much like the trapped arm lift going to the side with the trapped arm).

Jim: Not the first time an official has pointed out that i'm wrong. Happened plenty when I coached. I appreciate the nostalgia of this moment.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 26, 2023

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Jim: Not the first time an official has pointed out that i'm wrong. Happened plenty when I coached. I appreciate the nostalgia of this moment."

Hank,
That was not my intent at all. I was merely trying to understand what you might be seeing. I kept looking at the legs trying to figure it out.
FYI, there are coaches out there (Larry Hoon at Heights comes immediately to mind)
who see things differently/better than I did. If he went to the table, I needed to ask myself what I just missed as he didn't go there without a very good reason.
Jim

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on March 26, 2023

Either way, it was slick from Vinny. I’ve heard from on multiple forums how big of strides he’s taken this year and his body type looks college ready.

Are we feeling confident he can come in and be the starter next year? Is he overwhelming weak in any one position? 125 really clears out this year.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 26, 2023

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"I think it is.

My son -the State Qualifier- was watching as I was driving. I heard the call on the action and assumed it was a whizzer + cutback to get his to his back. I remember stating that “I’m pretty sure that’s illegal” to my son, The Mighty Cruiser 2.0, State Qualifier.

I do not recall the outcome of that situation but I think they allowed it and it led to the win - correct?"

I'm probably still more overjoyed for you than you are at this point, Mighty Cruiser. :)

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"Either way, it was slick from Vinny. I’ve heard from on multiple forums how big of strides he’s taken this year and his body type looks college ready.

Are we feeling confident he can come in and be the starter next year? Is he overwhelming weak in any one position? 125 really clears out this year."

I agree that he looks much better than he did a year ago. He is a nice 125 for the future. I'd love to see him redshirt but if he's hammering Gonzalez and McCrone in the room, my guess is Coach Ryan will put him out there.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 26, 2023

Hahahaha!!!!!!! Classic.

Not sure how I failed to add that information.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 29, 2023

Here (hopefully) is a short video of this move.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/tsk2qph-jow

► Add to the Discussion