Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Cali Leng
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 26, 2023

Tom Ryan should be recruiting her.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 26, 2023

Does OHST have a girls team?

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on March 26, 2023

She is an awesome kid, and her wrestling has been getting better and better. I'm obviously very bias

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 26, 2023

Quote from Shawn Andrews's post:

"She is an awesome kid, and her wrestling has been getting better and better. I'm obviously very bias"

I loved watching how aggressively she attacked. Her opponent wasn't bad but she wasn't prepared for Cali's pressure.

You're doing a terrfic job at Marysville.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 26, 2023

I agree with Hank's comment 100%. Shawn is a tremendous coach who, IMO, gets the best out of his athletes year after year. I never see them not prepared.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 26, 2023

I assume related to Jesse Leng?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 26, 2023

Quote from Shawn Andrews's post:

"She is an awesome kid, and her wrestling has been getting better and better. I'm obviously very bias"

Bias or no bias, you’re spot on in your description — though you did leave out tremendously hard working.

The rest of y’all are right on your assessment of Marysville as well.

Shawn is one of 4 coaches I know, trust & respect enough to bounce questions off of. Ohio made a wise decision having him be the lead taking the team to wrestle (and defeat!!) the WPIAL!

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 27, 2023

If only more Ohio schools offered girls wrestling. There are some absolutely fantastic girls wrestling in this state!!! And their ability is jumping levels each year.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 27, 2023

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"If only more Ohio schools offered girls wrestling. There are some absolutely fantastic girls wrestling in this state!!! And their ability is jumping levels each year."

It's growing fast after a slower start in the northeast. Lots of schools now have small squads.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 27, 2023

I worked several girl's duals and tris this year as well as the Mentor girls Regional tournament at Mentor. The style of wrestling is different but the girls are intense and they mean business. I think the hardest part (and other officials say the same thing) is that when they are competing, they are trying to rip each other apart. As soon as they finish, they are hugging and telling each other what a great match they wrestled. VERY different from the boys.
Also, we are seeing that the girls are a LOT more flexible than the guys are. I saw situations where the girls hips are square to the mat and yet they are giving up near fall points. It hurts just seeing it.
Overall, contrary to what nonsense I see on some other sites, I firmly believe that the girls, to a great extent, will help in saving the sport. From what I read, wrestling is the only HS sport growing in numbers and those numbers are because of the ladies.

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"Also, we are seeing that the girls are a LOT more flexible than the guys are. I saw situations where the girl's hips are square to the mat and yet they are giving up near fall points. It hurts just seeing it."

From my perspective, officials are calling girls' matches better now than a few years back. Calls were being made as if guys were wrestling so the PD's were coming way too fast -- and that has changed for the better in the last two years. The more officials get a chance to officiate girls, the better this will become. Just like coaching them, the technique has to be adjusted slightly for girls.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 27, 2023

That's weird...you're contending that no matter what arena you put male and female in, they are inherently different above and beyond the plumbing.

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"That's weird...you're contending that no matter what arena you put male and female in, they are inherently different above and beyond the plumbing."

When you change from coaching guys to gals, somethings I never thought had to be done differently had to be done differently. I mentioned this only to say it has expanded my mind about the art of coaching.

► Add to the Discussion