Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Chael Sonnen's Take On Spencer Lee
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 28, 2023

See what you think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghd2uQxVPfk

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 29, 2023

Thanks for posting that video Hank. It’s an interesting take on a real problem. Last year at the B1G there were 2 mff in the championship matches including the 285 match with Gable when the entire arena erupted in boos. Of all 10 weight classes, I don’t recall a single weight where the 1st, 3rd, and 5th place matches were all contested. I think it was the same this year. At the end of the season everyone is hurt so when is a mff justified? Further if we want to go down the road of a punitive penalty for a mff, how punitive? Chael suggested points equal to 30% over a pin. That likely isn’t enough. My initial thought was a team losing all accumulated points from the wrestler who mff. That is probably too far in the other direction. Tying the mff to the television coverage was good stuff. When I go to an event or watch on tv, I want to see the best guys compete just like every other fan but if a guy legitimately can’t compete then I don’t want him competing. One would like to believe in the honor system but that’s naive.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 29, 2023

I agree with Chael. Actually, I made a similar argument on twitter the day Spencer forfeited--not suggesting an increased bonus for collecting a med fft, but pointing out that it hurts the product when guys forfeit on the backside, and I worry that Spencer doing this hear will lead to more of that in the future at the NCAA tournament.

However, something I'll point out in response to Chael: This problem is not limited to wrestling. NCAA football bowl games have a similar problem nowadays (probably much worse, actually), with the stars sitting out of non-playoff games.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 30, 2023

What about making the wrestler who defaults sit out his next event? Obviously, it wouldn't help at NCAAs, but it would probably help a lot in duals and definitely eliminate the phenomenon at conferences.

Dan Strope added to this discussion on March 30, 2023

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"What about making the wrestler who defaults sit out his next event? Obviously, it wouldn't help at NCAAs, but it would probably help a lot in duals and definitely eliminate the phenomenon at conferences."

The problem at duals can best be fixed by individual conferences seedings "by team" results. You want to duck, then your backup's result is counted in the seeding process.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 30, 2023

Quote from Dan Strope's post:

"

"What about making the wrestler who defaults sit out his next event? Obviously, it wouldn't help at NCAAs, but it would probably help a lot in duals and definitely eliminate the phenomenon at conferences."

The problem at duals can best be fixed by individual conferences seedings "by team" results. You want to duck, then your backup's result is counted in the seeding process."

No matter what "method" is selected, there is always an unintended consequence.
In this case, what if the starter is actually ill or hurt? That is the real reason for a back up. Additionally, teams like PSU tend to have really good back ups.
I like Mike's idea better based on what I can see.
Just my $.02.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on March 30, 2023

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"

Quote from Dan Strope's post:

"

The problem at duals can best be fixed by individual conferences seedings "by team" results. You want to duck, then your backup's result is counted in the seeding process."

No matter what "method" is selected, there is always an unintended consequence.
In this case, what if the starter is actually ill or hurt? That is the real reason for a back up. Additionally, teams like PSU tend to have really good back ups.
I like Mike's idea better based on what I can see.
Just my $.02."

I think I like the idea of seeding by "team" result more. Forcing guys to sit out the next event after they MFF would be a vicious cycle because we'd then be robbed of seeing even more matchups.

► Add to the Discussion