Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Davino commits!!!
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 3, 2023

My source at nationals was absolutely correct!! Boom fills the hole at 125!!!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Cory Surles added to this discussion on April 3, 2023

Boom!!!

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on April 3, 2023

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/10846717-4-ben-davino-has-made-his-college-decision

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 3, 2023

Davino is a huge recruit but how does the lineup play out? You've got Mendez, Bouzakis, Kilkeary and Davino. Who goes where? These are all guys you expect to start and win.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on April 3, 2023

Huge get.

Nick, he’s already competing at 126 with a high school season to go. What makes you think he goes 125 in college?

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 3, 2023

had the same question. He is only coming to Ohio state bc he plans to be a 125. He doesn’t have problems with the weight. This is the same source that told me he was basically a lock to commit and knows him personally. Bouzakis is a career 133. Mendes will be 141. He knows who is here and the staff knows where the money is being allotted to. He is the number 4 p4p kid in his class. Kilkeary may be one and done at Ohio state.

Bouzakis and Davino are full ride guys. The staff isn’t giving two full scholarships up to one weight.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 3, 2023

We may think we know what will happen but the future is always full of surprises. I'm glad the Buckeyes have a glut of lower wt studs.

I'm guessing there are some smart people on this forum who can explain how the Bucks might be able to use Mendez, Bouzakis, Davino and Kilkeary over the next 4-6 years.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on April 4, 2023

I do think Hank raises an interesting point. Kilkeary isn’t a depth guy either. The staff must be confident that some shuffling or redshirting will off set some of the overlap. Recruiting over a guy isn’t a great recipe for success, and I don’t feel like the Bucks have done that a ton. This appears to be one of the deeper light weight clusters of guys in the TR era. It’s indicative of Stieber’s presence on the coaching staff and the addition of Mendes and Bousakis. When ever could the Bucks claim three potential jr/cadet/U23 potential world members?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 4, 2023

Congratulations Buckeye fans. You got a good one.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 4, 2023

Yeah, more often than not, you wind up with a lack of 125 pounder when you thought you were set. A guy can get injured, grow more than expected, or just not develop as expected, and suddenly you've got a hole at a tough weight to fill. So I'm with Hank: Tough to say what the future holds.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on April 4, 2023

These logjams tend to work themselves out. Someone will get big, someone will get injured, and someone won’t develop as expected. Suddenly, you’re maybe even dealing with a lineup hole.

Tom Ryan said in an interview last season that Mendez will move up one or maybe two weights. So the longterm plan may be as such:

125-Kilkeary/Davino
133-Kilkeary/Davino
141-Bouzakis
149-Mendez

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on April 4, 2023

Never watched many of Davino's matches but had certainly heard the name. HE appears to be a small 126lber (Smaller than most at the weight) so that makes me believe he can maintain 125 for years to come.

Where does this put KIlkeary? I don't know but I think it's a good problem to have.

I'd think the only real spot i'd like to see the Bucks nab another recruit would be a future 157- Hopefully we can land another blue chipper!

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on April 4, 2023

One interesting note - St. Charles East's 106, Dom Manuretto, was an Ironman Champ as a freshman. Also a Cadet World Champ if memory serves.

Seems like a good school to build a pipeline.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on April 4, 2023

I watched the Ironman finals and Davino rode the Blair kid out in the third period to get the win. Very impressive.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 4, 2023

from December forum post

Discussion Topic: Credit Where Due
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on December 14, 2022

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"good get Jim ..just mentioned Davino last post previous page."

Yeah and that is the first I heard that name with Bucks. So good call and thanks for sharing that recruiting nugget.

► Add to the Discussion