Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Nagao
Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 6, 2023

https://heavyweightnationblog.com/2023/04/06/all-american-aaron-nagao-enters-the-transfer-portal/

It has begun.

Guns for hire.

Begs the question, how much is an All American worth?
How about a champ?

He seems a lock to be a 4 time All American. Maybe a champ if he gets better on his feet.

Money or culture? They are not mutually exclusive.

You need talent to contend. Lou Rosselli is an excellent technical coach, but you need talent. Stieber and Snyder could have gone to other top programs and probably had similar careers.

Last edited by Rex Holman on April 6, 2023; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on April 6, 2023

Saw Davison to UM. Made me think - what school has prospered most from transfers recently?

Michigan has had Micic (maybe before the portal), Sruiano, Finesilver, and now Davison. I believe that's 4 AAs, 2 finalists. Not bad.

Iowa has had Desanto and Woods, both very heavy point scorers.

PSU Kirkvliet and Dean.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 6, 2023

Penn state is what they are saying for nagao.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 6, 2023

https://themat.tv/event/2023-NCAA-championships-interviews/video/358598-aaron-nagao-minnesota-5th-place-at-133-lbs-2023-NCAA-championships?page=2

Really interesting interview.

His love for his teammates is real.

He does sound like he would fit in at PSU.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 6, 2023

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"https://themat.tv/event/2023-NCAA-championships-interviews/video/358598-aaron-nagao-minnesota-5th-place-at-133-lbs-2023-NCAA-championships?page=2

Really interesting interview.

His love for his teammates is real.

He does sound like he would fit in at PSU."

Love of teammates < love of not having school debt.

I like the NIL for the athletes, but all the moving (not counting those who graduated and enter the portal) does make me a little sad though as a fan of the sport.

Nagao is leaving a school that recruited and put their trust in a kid to go to a school that didn't do that.

It doesn't effect my life in any meaningful way so whatev, just my $0.02 as a fan.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on April 7, 2023

I resent that the NCAA made billions off of unpaid athletes and were heavy-handed in the process...and I have a tinge of sadness as well working from a vague sense of nostalgia about athletes being committed to "their" school. Bittersweet. Shrug.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on April 7, 2023

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"I resent that the NCAA made billions off of unpaid athletes and were heavy-handed in the process...and I have a tinge of sadness as well working from a vague sense of nostalgia about athletes being committed to "their" school. Bittersweet. Shrug."

You understand that the vast majority of the money the NCAA makes (about 1 billion a year) goes back to the schools to fund non-revenue sports and scholarships? The NCAA isn't making tons of $ off athletes, the schools are. That said, NCAA schools give out nearly 4 billion a year in athletic scholarships, in essence athletes are getting paid 4 billion a year. How long do you think non-revenue sports, like wrestling, would last if schools had to pay athletes on top of scholarships?

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on April 7, 2023

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"

"I resent that the NCAA made billions off of unpaid athletes and were heavy-handed in the process...and I have a tinge of sadness as well working from a vague sense of nostalgia about athletes being committed to "their" school. Bittersweet. Shrug."

You understand that the vast majority of the money the NCAA makes (about 1 billion a year) goes back to the schools to fund non-revenue sports and scholarships? The NCAA isn't making tons of $ off athletes, the schools are. That said, NCAA schools give out nearly 4 billion a year in athletic scholarships, in essence athletes are getting paid 4 billion a year. How long do you think non-revenue sports, like wrestling, would last if schools had to pay athletes on top of scholarships?"

I agree. Prior to NIL, some people (not on this forum) went so far as to compare college football and basketball players to slaves, which is a ridiculous comparison. Scholarship athletes are getting a free or reduced degree while partaking in a sport that they love, and college athletes at the highest level get a host of other perks as well. So many athletes would love to be in that position. No one was "forcing" them to play college sports, so if they felt so strongly that they were being taken advantage of they didn't "have to" participate.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on April 7, 2023

Nagao was a marginal recruit who Minnesota landed I assume for little scholarship money. In a short time on campus he’s turned into a national title threat. The best outcome here is his coaches pay up and keep him but that ship may have sailed.

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Nagao was a marginal recruit who Minnesota landed I assume for little scholarship money. In a short time on campus he’s turned into a national title threat. The best outcome here is his coaches pay up and keep him but that ship may have sailed."

This isn't ultimately up to the coaches. NIL collectives are not run by the university. The coordination\communication allowed between a university and the collective is murky and can vary from state to state. I'm sure coaches communicate with collectives, but if that collective doesn't place much value in wrestling athletes, not much a coach can do.

The NCAA does state that recruits and transfer portal athletes are not allowed to communicate with NIL collectives. This clearly isn't being adhered to or enforced.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 7, 2023

Very interesting comments. I remember the rumor that Bo Nickal called Nick Feldman and said he'd get 100k (something like that) to swithch to PSU.

PSU has money. So does Michigan. So does Iowa. Probably Cornell...and Penn...maybe Lehigh. In fact any Ivy can probably become relevant if they choose. It's just a matter of who wants to spend.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on April 7, 2023

Alex, I was not suggesting NIL be used, though that’s certainly an option. Minnesota has 9.9 scholarships to allocate across its roster. Nagao has earned a bigger share than he is likely getting.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on April 7, 2023

"

You understand that the vast majority of the money the NCAA makes (about 1 billion a year) goes back to the schools to fund non-revenue sports and scholarships? The NCAA isn't making tons of $ off athletes, the schools are. That said, NCAA schools give out nearly 4 billion a year in athletic scholarships, in essence athletes are getting paid 4 billion a year. How long do you think non-revenue sports, like wrestling, would last if schools had to pay athletes on top of scholarships?"

No, I didn't; I stand corrected.

"Alex, I was not suggesting NIL be used, though that’s certainly an option. Minnesota has 9.9 scholarships to allocate across its roster. Nagao has earned a bigger share than he is likely getting."

Ah, i see. Maybe there isn't any or very little scholly $ to give him and\or couldn't get a NIL deal.

He's taking a risk that he won't get what he's looking for in the portal (although unlikely in his case), unless of course he's already struck a behind the scenes deal, which is not supposed to happen. (but i'm sure does)

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 7, 2023

"

"Alex, I was not suggesting NIL be used, though that’s certainly an option. Minnesota has 9.9 scholarships to allocate across its roster. Nagao has earned a bigger share than he is likely getting."

Ah, i see. Maybe there isn't any or very little scholly $ to give him and\or couldn't get a NIL deal."

This may be the case, but I'd be VERY surprised. Most likely is he's getting a much bigger stack at another university -- one that didn't recruit him originally. Glad for him. Sad for the sport.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next