Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Nagao
Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 10, 2023

By allowing people to speculate; announcing multiple colleges of interest, he is building his followers and generating interest and consequently, clicks.

Building the brand.

Smart dude. Whether by design or genuinely organic would be interesting to know.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 10, 2023

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Alex, I was not suggesting NIL be used, though that’s certainly an option. Minnesota has 9.9 scholarships to allocate across its roster. Nagao has earned a bigger share than he is likely getting."

Ah, i see. Maybe there isn't any or very little scholly $ to give him and\or couldn't get a NIL deal."

This may be the case, but I'd be VERY surprised. Most likely is he's getting a much bigger stack at another university -- one that didn't recruit him originally. Glad for him. Sad for the sport."

He did an interview yesterday and said he is not getting any type of NIL deal and is just chasing a dream. Didn’t rule out going back to Minnesota and is looking at Cornell, Iowa and PSU and will make a decision soon. Seem pretty genuine when saying he wasn’t getting a lump of cash to go to one school or another.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YOqh-l_ZwUM

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 10, 2023

Iowa, penn state, and Cornell are the three visits he is taking.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 11, 2023

Just a couple of thoughts from the interview.

He's not staying at Minnesota, otherwise why enter portal? That's like the girl who took you to the dance, but all the other girls take notice when you hit the lottery. Who you going home with?

Mentioning Minnesota; I really like you, but..I don't want to hurt your feelings. Kind of dishonest.

He's maybe 19 or 20 years old.

I'll take life experience and knowledge of motivation to understand people.

The pursuit of wrestling requires putting your training and self-first. Regardless of how you spell it out regarding God, clarity, praying and the desire to be ones' best.

At the end of the day, He's a beast of a wrestler with a strong faith that doesn't feel like Minnesota is the right fit anymore.

I can't blame him for searching out the best training situation.

That's ultimately what this is about.

The thought process goes something like this. I want to develop my God given talents as best I am capable. For me to do that, I need to surround myself with champions and a culture that will bring it about.

Workout partners, culture, track record of producing champions.

It smells of PSU.

PSU is arguably the best place to become a multiple time champion, whereas Cornell has some amazing training partners. However, Yianni will be focusing on freestyle and Vito may as well with the upcoming Olympics. Iowa didn't quite get 'er done this year. Nagao wants to be an NCAA champ first.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 11, 2023

Being reported that Iowa is offering Bernie Truax $250k to transfer in.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on April 11, 2023

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"Being reported that Iowa is offering Bernie Truax $250k to transfer in."

I'm a fan of Bernie Truax as a wrestler, but my gosh that's an obscene amount of money for a college student. The kid could have a house paid off before he graduates.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 12, 2023

I find that amount difficult to believe. Who is shelling out that kind of cash to a 20-year-old 4th place finisher?

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on April 12, 2023

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"I find that amount difficult to believe. Who is shelling out that kind of cash to a 20-year-old 4th place finisher?"

He won't he be a favorite to win a title this year if he drops down to 184 as speculated. Brookes could always take an Olympic RS as well I suppose; but he still wouldn't be a clear-cut #1 guy.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on April 12, 2023

It now appears as NCAA wrestling has morphed into the PFW (professional folkstyle wrestling). And like professional sports money will be a huge factor in success What's the ceiling for $$? The market will set that. So like the pros ownership will also be a major factor. Who determines what to pay? Do you have wise NIL investment or investment from the heart, from your programs followers? The programs that can afford to cover the cost of scholarships plus for the major recruits with NILs, will give those programs a leg up in that they will be able to give out more scholarships to project recruits and therefore have more resources. Small programs will be able to compete only if they have someone (or an affluent alumni) with deep pockets willing to support that program. If Ohio State will be able to maintain its position in college wrestling remains to be seen.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 25, 2023

Cael just wins.

If you build it, they will come.

And they keep coming.

Last edited by Rex Holman on April 25, 2023; edited 1 time in total

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 25, 2023

Nagao will end up at either Iowa or PSU...in that order. Curious if the Bucks are after the likes of Griffith or D
Augustino...or both. In today's NCAA D1 team race, bringing in transfers is going to be the new norm. Better get used to it. Recruits and transfers. And money will talk.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 25, 2023

Just saw PSU on the internet. It must be true.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 25, 2023

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Just saw PSU on the internet. It must be true."

They also got Truax and

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 25, 2023

Mesenbrink