Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Proposed rule changes
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on April 19, 2023

Saw this on Flo, but the rules committee is proposing the following rule changes:

1. 3 point takedowns;
2. 3 point nearfall; and,
3. No riding time point without a turn.

I love all of these. Encourage scoring from neutral and discourage riding just to ride. Now just emphasize stalling on top without an attempt to score and they've got something.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 19, 2023

I've always thought that riding time was a big, long stall. But it takes great skill to be really good at it. Eliminate the riding time point and you make a major change in college wrestling.

That said, I'm in favor of this rule change.

Three point takedowns are problematic. I'm in favor of rewarding an aggressive leg attack with three points. But if a wrestler shoots and somehow ends up getting taken down, perhaps that should only be worth two?

The only certainty is that the best programs will adapt to the rule changes (if they are implemented) and become best at new strategies.

Now, how about a one point nearfall? If you tilt...if you cradle...if you run an arm bar...and your opponent is exposed, I'd like to see a point awarded even if you don't keep him on his back for two seconds. Is that too similar to freestyle?

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on April 19, 2023

[quote="Hank Kornblut"

Three point takedowns are problematic. I'm in favor of rewarding an aggressive leg attack with three points. But if a wrestler shoots and somehow ends up getting taken down, perhaps that should only be worth two?

Now, how about a one point nearfall? If you tilt...if you cradle...if you run an arm bar...and your opponent is exposed, I'd like to see a point awarded even if you don't keep him on his back for two seconds. Is that too similar to freestyle?[/quote]

It Regarding #1, why?? Control was still established, right?

#2 You are looking to the days when Maple used to use the "cheap tilt" to score.
I could live with it as it would be the same for everyone but it is very close to FS.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 19, 2023

I would like to see the danger TD be used for Reversals. I can’t stand when top guy is just holding ankles and collecting riding time when top guy is close to getting a reversal.

I guess if riding time is going away maybe it won’t matter as much.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on April 19, 2023

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"I would like to see the danger TD be used for Reversals. I can’t stand when top guy is just holding ankles and collecting riding time when top guy is close to getting a reversal.

I guess if riding time is going away maybe it won’t matter as much."

Second point first, as I read it, RT is not going away but NF would be required to obtain it. Here is the quote from the article "a riding-time point without a turn will be a thing of the past".

As to the other part, just like I am not a fan of the "touch" TD, I really don't like the way the danger control is awarded. How many times have you seen the danger count, the 2 points get awarded and 3 seconds later the situation is stalemated? It happens a lot. IMO, if there is control, it is NEVER a stalemate that quickly. This is simply a bailout for a call that was not correct in the first place.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on April 20, 2023

Keep the takedown at two points and eliminate the escape point. It's reward is disproportionate to the challenge, which often isn't difficult. Freestyle has figured this out.

I'm in the minority, but I like riding time. The untrained eye sees a good ride as stalling. But controlling someone who doesn't want to be controlled is incredibly difficult. See above point.

Kudos to the rules committee for taking chances. They're trying to increase interest, which based on TV ratings is dipping. All of us are addicts and will tune in no matter what the rules are.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on April 20, 2023

It is probably way too subjective, but I'd love to see riding time stop when the wrestlers are in a position that wouldn't be considered a takedown for either wrestler. It's counter intuitive to me that you are rewarding a wrestler for being "in control" when you wouldn't consider that wrestler "in control" enough to award a takedown.

Simply stop the RT clock until the situation plays out and then start it again if appropriate.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 20, 2023

Drew: I agree that good riding takes incredible skill but I never thought it should be worth a point.

I always liked the idea of the official stopping the action if neither top nor bottom can improve (top is riding but not close to scoring and bottom can't break free) and putting both wrestlers back in neutral with no point awarded. It does make Folk more similar to Free but nothing kills interest like mat wrestling.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 20, 2023

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Keep the takedown at two points and eliminate the escape point. It's reward is disproportionate to the challenge, which often isn't difficult. Freestyle has figured this out.

I'm in the minority, but I like riding time. The untrained eye sees a good ride as stalling. But controlling someone who doesn't want to be controlled is incredibly difficult. See above point.

Kudos to the rules committee for taking chances. They're trying to increase interest, which based on TV ratings is dipping. All of us are addicts and will tune in no matter what the rules are."

Drew: I would think if you keep a riding time you ought to keep the escape point. All Buckeye fans know how hard that is to earn.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on April 20, 2023

"
"

I guess I must have an untrained eye. I will admit that riding is not easy but the ultimate goal is supposed to be pinning the opponent. Camping on an ankle and controlling the wrists while riding the hips is never going to accomplish that.
BTW, I don't see a "good" ride as a stall but a lot of what I see is nothing but a clock killer. BORING!!!

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 21, 2023

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"

"
"

I guess I must have an untrained eye. I will admit that riding is not easy but the ultimate goal is supposed to be pinning the opponent. Camping on an ankle and controlling the wrists while riding the hips is never going to accomplish that.
BTW, I don't see a "good" ride as a stall but a lot of what I see is nothing but a clock killer. BORING!!!"

Anyone who wrestled PSU agrees.

► Add to the Discussion