Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Will betancourt
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 26, 2023

You know I had to say this… he’s in the portal again lol!!! This kid….maybe he should go d2 or mac where he can maybe wrestle. Good luck to his next ex team.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 26, 2023

I'm trying not to snicker. I just don't think he ever looked at himself realistically. And he's certainly not the only one. Every year there are kids who insist on wrestling D1 out of high school who'd be much better off in D2, D3 or NAIA.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on April 27, 2023

Nick this post made me laugh, touche.

Whats crazy is I remember first making remarks about Betancourt when he was still with the Buckeyes, it seems like forever ago.

Since COVID it seems like certain kids have been in college for 6+ years (Some may be). I wonder if any other collegiate sport like golf, tennis, etc. have student athletes on the same trajectory as collegiate wrestling.

I think the NCAA kinda screwed up on this process post-COVID.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 27, 2023

This will be his fourth year and fourth team and I’m pretty sure he has two years at least of eligibility. This transfer portal is ruining college wrestling.

Say a team like Kent State or Ohio university develops an all American. They will certainly almost be hitting the transfer portal. Penn state and Iowa get richer, the weak teams can’t get the kids they develop to stick around.

Last edited by Nick Lecklider on April 27, 2023; edited 1 time in total

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on April 27, 2023

I would say the transfer portal, NIL, and the option to have like 3 different redshirts is very very bad for college wrestling.

It almost seems like if a smaller school like a MAC like you listed gets an AA, they have a strong chance of entering the portal for that following year, most likely going to a school with an already strong team.

► Add to the Discussion