Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio Rtc and former Bucks at US open
Jared Ball added to this discussion on April 28, 2023

Decent contingent and showing at the US open. One of the Koontz brothers made the Greco final X. Sasso, Kollin Moore, and Joey McKenna all sit in the finals. I saw Hepner went 2-2. He did beat the 9 seed but it was no one I’m familiar with. He lost to Vincenzo on the front side before making a small run on the back side. Kharchla went 3-2. Took loses to Deringer and Merinelli. Too three puts you on the national team with a stipend.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 28, 2023

Sasso with a nice semis win over a higher seed. Easy to forget he's 5, 2, 2 for his career at NCAA's.

Spencer Lee continues to show he's not entirely healthy and it's a shame. He was up 9-0 in the quarters after the first period and ended up winning 9-4. If he can't put someone away, his pace slows and he labors. He would never have beaten Suriano and he knew it.

NATO made the semis but lost to Arujau 8-3.

Anyone know what's up with Myles Martin?

And can we appreciate how consistently good Kollin Moore has become?

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on April 28, 2023

Overall, a good showing by the Ohio RTC guys.

The more I see results for Hepner the more I feel he belongs in the starting lineup next year. Was impressed he wasn't out-horsed by joseph.

Scott Clemmons added to this discussion on April 28, 2023

Moore went 10-0 in all three of his matches. He gets Macchiavello next (tonight) instead of Nate Jackson.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on April 29, 2023

Sasso had the finals won. Up 9-5 with 28 seconds remaining. A challenge call puts it at 9-7 with 8 seconds left. All he had to do was not go forward, but that’s not Sammy. Loses on criteria to Berger in a last second takedown.
Moore inexplicably loses to Mike Mach, again. This dude has some sort of kryptonite against Kollin somehow. I still think Kollin can get it done at final X to make the world team, but sheesh.
Other take aways..Newsflash, Nolf is still really really good against everyone not named Kyle Dake. Nick Lee had himself a tournament as well, beating McKenna soundly in the finals. Gable…no words.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 30, 2023

Mccrone loses first round and then dominates 9 straight matches to get into the 3/4 place match. Nice to see him doing good with uncertainty at 125 next season.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 30, 2023

This is future bucks but Davino just beat super prospect Forrest 8-1. Big win!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 30, 2023

Rocco Welsh just got beat in finals for U20's by Gabe Arnold. Super close match with some odd officiating.

Marcus Blaze with 2 straight wins over Anthony Know to make the U17 World squad. Hard not to believe he is the best wrestler in the state right now.

Must get for the Bucks?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 30, 2023

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Rocco Welsh just got beat in finals for U20's by Gabe Arnold. Super close match with some odd officiating."

Arnold did absolutely nothing for 6 minutes. He will fit right into Iowa with no O and all hand fighting. How did Arnold get his 3rd pt? I’m sorry freestyle rules suck and make it hard to watch with the constant stopping and push outs but only it guy isn’t on his knees and caution for some push outs and not others. Really stupid but that’s just my opinion. I know some love it and prefer it over folk style.

He took ground more than Welsh but that's hardly a reason for one guy to win. Still, if you're going to say Arnold did nothing you have to point out that it's also true of Welsh with the exception of one push out.

We see similar nonsense in folkstyle all the time only it's usually involves mat wrestling where neither wrestler is able to do much.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on May 1, 2023

My $0.02...

Kollin's elbow is in terrible shape. Really unlucky timing and hopefully he can heal quickly. He's far and away our best 92kg (with Cox at 97kg) IMO, and definitely the biggest medal threat.

Sammy wrestled an incredible match against Berger and then completely gave it away. I also think the challenge from Berger's corner getting the 2-1 flipped to 2-2 was the wrong call and kept Berger in the match when it should have been on ice. Overall good tournament for Sammy, feel like he's figuring some things out in freestyle and he can still get much better in those head pinch and chest wrap positions. Also think there are a lot of points for him in over/unders if he'd get there more.

Mendez was lacking some horsepower at 65kg. I know it's not even summer yet, and it's a couple extra pounds vs. 141, but I think he might benefit from a redshirt to grow into 141. That makes the Decatur transfer a little unfortunate if it happens.

Bouzakis looked sharp for the most part but had a pretty weak bracket.

Welsh remains tough, I think he transitions to the college level very well. Would've liked him to get the world level experience, final was unfortunate.

Ben Davino is really, really good, and getting better. Feels like that commitment went a little under the radar because of it's timing. He handled Jax Forrest in three straight. Forrest is returning world silver who also majored Andre Gonzales in an open tournament this year.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 1, 2023

Brian: I think your observations are spot on. The only comment I'll make about Mendez is that it was obvious Webster's size was a huge obstacle for him. Webster was much longer and he just used those octopus arms to keep Mendez at bay.

► Add to the Discussion