Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Cannon and D'Augustino commit to UM
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 30, 2023

Wolverines are set at 125 and 133 for next season.

What do CKLV and NWLC both have in common? Money.

Bucks are recruiting well. Can they land any transfers? Who's their 125 for next season?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on May 1, 2023

Ohio State has a tighter budget than Iowa, UM, and PSU. TR has to be smart about where he's spending, and bidding on these overpriced 1 year rentals is just not in the cards right now.

Rumors are that Truax was offered $250k, btw...

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 1, 2023

Why is Ohio State's budget tighter than those other schools?

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on May 1, 2023

I don’t think they are talking about scholarships Mike. I think they are talking about NIL checks available within the programs.

Iowa for example gave a big payday to real woods and was coming after bouzakis, Traux, and nagao with big $$$ but missed. Also got chittum to flip on nil deal supposedly.

Michigan gave Suriano a big pay check and now get northwesterns best three kids in Davison, d’augustin, cannon. Cliff keen has money to give out.

Penn state got messenbrink, nagao, traux. These kids said it wasn’t about the money but I’m sure they are getting a chunk of change. Feldman was said to be offered 100k by penn state to try to become a last minute flip.

Anyways Ohio state wrestling doesn’t quite have the support and donors backing up as these wrestling programs. So the money they can provide I believe they keep to the wrestlers they already have. I just think Ohio state has limited wrestling funds where these other schools will find it when they can upgrade a lineup in the portal.

Same reason why Ohio state will be able to seperate the gap in football at least in measure of talent. We have more support than probably almost any team in the nation. No bigger fan base, no bigger ratings of any school in nation.

Iowa and penn state definitely beat us very easily in attendance and support for the wrestling teams. Michigan has cliff keen and I heard Kelly ripa also helped out as her son wrestled. She is worth 120 million. From a source within the program she is the one who cut Surianos check. But anyways no Ohio state wrestling pockets aren’t as deep.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 1, 2023

In this new age of NIL, isn't it Coach Ryan's job fund raise and compile recourses and manage the portal in order to compete for a National Title? If other schools are doing it, there's no reason tOSU shouldn't be able to as well.

For the record, I think people go to Penn State (out of high school or through the portal) for the same reasons Tom Ryan went to Iowa. I bet it's less about the money than you think.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on May 1, 2023

The wild west of NIL is real. How it's being done sounds very much like the SMU big donor method of the 80s attracting talent. Michigan has Cliff Keen, OSU has Rudis, and Penn State has a 5-mill endowment. It seems the athlete gets contacted by a person not involved with the university(team) and makes an offer of support. What is apparent is that offer of support is associated with that athlete also attending the school the donor is associated with. This all seems shady and is hurting the sport/teams. No rules and big money dictates...for now.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on May 1, 2023

Nick, I thought the Bouzakis rumor was debunked. Do you know something we don’t?

Alex Creech added to this discussion on May 1, 2023

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"In this new age of NIL, isn't it Coach Ryan's job fund raise and compile recourses and manage the portal in order to compete for a National Title? If other schools are doing it, there's no reason tOSU shouldn't be able to as well."

I guarantee Tom is on top of the portal and can\does offer scholarship $. He CAN'T offer any kind of NIL.

The NCCA said nil collectives are not allowed to be involved in recruiting or the transfer portal. However, some states have passed legislation that removes that restriction. I don't know if Ohio is one of them. Others simply aren't following the rule.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on May 1, 2023

No maybe I missed that. Maybe it wasn’t Iowa directly but a donor of some sort trying to entice him. People on other boards just kept saying they were going after him and then bouzakis made a post saying he is a buckeye to quiet things down. Bouzakis and Tom Ryan have a pretty close bond and I couldn’t imagaine bouzakis would ever leave.

People were also saying iowa offered traux 250k. Who knows what is true these days.

Tom Ryan said In an interview that he believes there is so much cheating in the transfer portal but says he can spend his time and resources on better things.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 1, 2023

Rudis is likely small potatoes compared to the money at CKWC, Iowa, PSU...Cornell...and....Princeton...perhaps Stanford...Harvard...Penn...Columbia...Brown

If Ivies want to move up in D1 wrestling, the NIL offers them the chance. I am sure these programs have some very wealthy alums. Ohio State probably has a few but the timing is tough. Tom Ryan undoubtedly tapped out resources getting the Covelli Center built. At the time, he thought a beautiful facility would help with recruiting. And that does appear to be the case. Bouzakis...Mendez...Feldman...Welsh...Davino...these are BIG recruits.

But this NIL thing is surely a wrinkle Tom Ryan didn't anticipate (who did?). And since he's out there recruiting, there's no doubt he's hearing about plenty of mischief.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on May 1, 2023

Whatever the rules are (are there rules?), Michael is right, it is the coach's job to get funding in line to bring in the best wrestlers.

It's not that OSU has no money, no NIL backing, etc. It's just not as much as a handful of others, and they're choosing to spend that money on actual recruits rather than rentals. IMO it's the right strategy.

Would you rather spend $100k on DeAugustino and Cannon for 1 year, or on Davino for 4+?

Hank is right to point out the Covelli commitment. I don't know the specific details (it's not public), but think about the way these commitments usually work--large pledges like this aren't typically paid upfront in year 1, they're prearranged to be paid over multiple years.

Unless TR has a booster that's falling over himself to bring in an AA to fill a hole at all costs, we're not going to see the Bucks be a major player in the portal for big names. And even if he did, I'd wager he'd try to persuade that donor to invest in incoming high schoolers over some mid-level AA that might add 5 to 10 points to the team score.

This team isn't one, or even two AA's away from a title.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on May 2, 2023

Curious what Michigan does at 133 with Cannon and Ragusin. Will one of them go 141 or does Ragusin have a RS available.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on May 2, 2023

Brian you are right, next year we will not be competing for a title. Probably again in the 3-5 range. Penn state is winning it with or without traux. A one year rental does Ohio state no good to disburse unnecessary funds. Cannon and nagao are at a weight that Ohio state does not need. Davison another area we don’t need. Deagustin the other one year rental which is unnecessary. Develop mccrone and Kilkeary.

However in two years I believe Ohio state may have a legit shot to at least be in the race. Losing out on Messenbrink who is a four year eligibility guy to the team you will be in a battle with was crucial.

Ohio state young core of bouzakis, Mendes, Davino, Walsh, Feldman, Geog, rotogotzke, Herman, cannon, Birden will all be sophomores or freshman in two seasons eligibility wise. Then kharchla, hepner and paddy as upper class man. After next season Ohio state may need to land a transfer portal guy at wherever weight they need to keep up in the arms race. I’m guessing 149 and 125 will be the area where the staff needs to look at. (Unless Davino can remain at 125 which bouzakis has maintained his weight last 4-5 years already so hoping that happens. )

Transfer portal is going to be absolutely crucial going forward. If Ohio state can’t compete in the portal they won’t be in the team race period. The portal gives you proven wrestlers at weights you need. It is the present and future of college wrestling. Unnecessary this season but will see if Ohio state makes a splash next season.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on May 2, 2023

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Transfer portal is going to be absolutely crucial going forward. If Ohio state can’t compete in the portal they won’t be in the team race period. The portal gives you proven wrestlers at weights you need. It is the present and future of college wrestling. Unnecessary this season but will see if Ohio state makes a splash next season."

Agreed, at some point over the next 4 years bringing in a transfer will be critical if OSU is going to compete for a title.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on May 2, 2023

https://www.NCAA.org/news/2022/5/9/media-center-di-board-of-directors-issues-name-image-and-likeness-guidance-to-schools.aspx

They consider "collectives" boosters, and rightfully so. Boosters are not allowed to be involved in recruiting, including the portal.

Reading between the lines though, it seems like they "hope" schools will abide by the guidance, but it doesn't seem like they will really try to enforce it.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next