Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Marcus Blaze
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 3, 2023

Bucks have to get him. There's no way you let this kid get away. Best Ohio prep since David Carr.

Thoughts?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 4, 2023

He's good.

What weight does he project to in college? Do the Buckeyes need that weight filled?

Isn't his brother heading to Purdue? Does that complicate things?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 4, 2023

He is excellent. Going into his junior year he's a 120-pounder for Junior Worlds, but he was a 113 two years ago, so maybe he'll trend up to 126 as a junior and 132 has a senior.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 4, 2023

Yep. A must get.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on May 6, 2023

His performance at Fargo last year was impressive. What he did at the open this year went way beyond that. Two things to consider. Mark mentioned weight. His brother Joey just graduated after wrestling up in the 160s. Genetically you would think that he’s going to hit some sort of growth spurt, but I get that all family members aren’t the same.
Second thought. Marcus’s freestyle accolades have been exceptional. His folks style accolades are impressive, but slightly behind his freestyle in my opinion. He took some loses at Ironman and perhaps one other national that support the idea that freestyle is his better style currently. That being said, agreed that he is a must get. I’m sure the Bucks have been in on him already. Lots of great partners that are and will be in the room: Bousakis, Mendes, Davino. Probably helps that he and Davino will both be on the team together. Is he the top target for 2025?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on May 8, 2023

A must get.

Second coming of Logan Stieber.

I've only watched some.

But, his wrestling IQ is an outlier.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 8, 2023

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"A must get.

I've only watched some.

But, his wrestling IQ is an outlier."

I see him better than Logan on his feet (when both were Sophomores) but behind him on top. Bottom is tougher to gauge because when you are as good as they both are/were, you can get away from almost everybody in HS.

An absolute must get -- or he has to turn down a full ride and a sweet NIL deal.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on May 8, 2023

"A must get.

I've only watched some.

Wow. High praise!

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on May 8, 2023

Also seems like Perrysburg is an important school to recruit for the next several years. Time to build a pipeline!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 8, 2023

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

"A must get.

I've only watched some.

I see him better than Logan on his feet (when both were Sophomores) but behind him on top. Bottom is tougher to gauge because when you are as good as they both are/were, you can get away from almost everybody in HS.

An absolute must get -- or he has to turn down a full ride and a sweet NIL deal."

I think that he's outstanding and agree that he's as much as a "must get" as we've seen in Ohio in a while, but comparing him favorably to an eventual 4X National Champion seems a bit over the top for me.

I'm getting old, so maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but wasn't Logan Stieber on the Senior Ladder after his sophomore season?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 8, 2023

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I think that he's outstanding and agree that he's as much as a "must get" as we've seen in Ohio in a while, but comparing him favorably to an eventual 4X National Champion seems a bit over the top for me.

I'm getting old, so maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but wasn't Logan Stieber on the Senior Ladder after his sophomore season?"

I'm comparing them as Soph vs. Soph. I read Rex's comment to be doing it at that same age as well.

Good question, Michael. I can't remember if it was when he was a Soph but I know he competed at US Open as a high schooler. I just can't remember what year.

The weight he won to make the U17 World Team was the deepest in the tournament including a former Cadet World Champion. When you do that, comparisons are gonna be made.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 8, 2023

Astonishing to think about the contributions to Ohio hs wrestling that have been made by the Burnett family.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on May 8, 2023

I don't pay nearly as close attention as I did when the Stiebers were in HS, so I can't make any comparisons between Blaze and Stieber myself. But when I think of Logan... I think about how he didn't just win, he largely dominated everyone he faced--even the best guys. On occasion, he would have an off performance, but for the most part he bonused everyone... usually tech or pin.

I believe it was after his junior year of high school that he placed like 3rd at the US Open, tech falling 2x NCAA Champ Matt Valenti in the process? I believe after his sophomore year, he beat Zach Sanders, who was either entering college or had just become an freshman All-American. It's been a long time, so details are fuzzy. Of course, a high schooler beating down a college or senior level stud was a lot less common then than it is today.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on May 8, 2023

He's a "must get" based on name alone...Marcus BLAZE. :)

Am I right, Cruiser?!?

Matt Nutter added to this discussion on May 8, 2023

As a staff at Pburg we try to remind ourselves often that we are watching one of the all time greats and to enjoy the ride. Marcus is special. His wrestling IQ is off the charts. He is a great leader, great student and the most competitive human being I have ever met. He has all of the intangibles and wrestling abilities to be on the short list of the greatest Ohioans of all time. I am excited to see his recruitment process, but in the mean time I am going to enjoy the next two years watching him cement his legacy and lead our program to new heights.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next